Author Topic: D.C. Whispers: “Boehner Has The Votes”....DW Ulsterman  (Read 794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
D.C. Whispers: “Boehner Has The Votes”....DW Ulsterman
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:10 am »
http://ulstermanbooks.com/d-c-whispers-boehner-votes/

After a December hiatus, a bit of new news comes from our favorite little wonderland known as Capitol Hill.

Unfortunately, it isn’t particularly good news for those of us hoping to see John Boehner pushed off of his Speaker’s perch…

(Yeah, he’s got this one…)

Two years ago Speaker Boehner faced down a small revolt of some ten Republicans who refused to support his nomination to another two years as Speaker of the House. This time around, whispers indicate there may be as many as twenty five Republicans who do the same – a sizeable increase, but still short of what would be required to even force a second vote for the what is quite possibly the second most powerful political position on Washington D.C. (Though only if that Speaker utilizes that power effectively, which John Boehner has appeared less and less inclined to do in recent years.)

Apparently the Speaker’s staff spent most the day pushing and pulling for support from various and less “aggressive” (which likely actually means “conservative”) Republicans, handing out pending and much sought after committee assignments like the most popular neighborhood would candy on Halloween.

(Certainly more trick than treat for those who hoped to see Boehner banished)

Two challengers were willing to openly vie for the Speakership against John Boehner:  Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert and Florida Congressman Ted Yoho. Of the two it was Gohmert’s challenge that elicited the most public attention, but few other members of Congress, at least openly, indicated their support of his challenge.

The day’s various mini-battles was summed up by a Congressional staffer with the following:

“No, he’s good. We are a party of talkers and not nearly enough doers. Seems most want to keep the status quo, including some of the members who promised those who voted them in that they would do and be the exact opposite. We made some ground vs the last time, but it looks like we will be a long ways off from a serious challenge. On a brighter note, Keystone is coming very soon and the Democrats are scrambling to stay united against, but a whole slew of them are telling us that won’t happen which will put a lot of pressure on the White House when he (the president) picks up the veto pen. He’ll have to explain to the American public why, and so far they haven’t been able to come close to doing that. I heard a rumor though that the low fuel prices are going to play in the administration’s favor when we actually get to the vote. Just a rumor from a newbie on the other side though so not certain how true. Maybe some kind of head fake? Will follow up though.”

I would think low fuel prices would help the vote to support Keystone as they are proof of America’s potential to be energy independent. Perhaps I’m missing something though?

-DWU

Posted byulsterman
January 5, 2015
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: D.C. Whispers: “Boehner Has The Votes”....DW Ulsterman
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:14:03 am »
No surprise to me! Most of the people we have in Washington these days would sell their souls to maintain their "status"!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:22:24 am »
No surprise to me! Most of the people we have in Washington these days would sell their souls to maintain their "status"!

...yep!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:01:11 am »
If he does, then it should be an object lesson to those conservative would-be-reformers:  the fruits go to those who know how to log-roll, and build common cause amongst otherwise disparate interests.