Author Topic: Obituaries for 2015  (Read 71963 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Obituaries for 2015
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2015, 01:36:40 am »
Click the link and look at the date of the article. She died 8 years ago.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:38:19 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2015, 02:29:10 am »
'Happy Days' Star Al Molinaro Dies

Al Molinaro, who played the beloved chef at the drive-in on "Happy Days" ... died in a Wisconsin hospital on Thursday.

Molinaro's son confirmed the actor's death ... telling us he had very bad gall stones, but Al elected not to have surgery due to his age. He was 96.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Paladin

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2015, 04:56:54 am »
Click the link and look at the date of the article. She died 8 years ago.

By golly, you're right. Wonder why no one told me. In any case, I still like Ms Moneypenny.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2015, 11:14:38 pm »
Fred Thompson dead at 73.
Reuters via Yahoo.

(Reuters) - Fred Thompson, a former U.S. senator and Republican presidential candidate, as well as a film and TV actor, has died at age 73, the Nashville Tennessean reported on Sunday.

Thompson died from a recurrence of lymphoma, the newspaper said, quoting a statement by his family.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/01/former-us-sen-fred-thompson-dies-73/74752142/

5:12 p.m. CST November 1, 2015

Fred Thompson, a former U.S. senator for Tennessee, GOP presidential candidate, Watergate attorney and longtime "Law and Order" star, died on Sunday. He was 73.

continued at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:37 pm »
Just posted in the Obituaries thread. Apparently, lymphoma.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2015, 11:22:26 pm »
Just posted in the Obituaries thread. Apparently, lymphoma.

I'll move it there later when everyone has a chance to see it
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2015, 11:24:45 pm »
 By Ian Swanson - 11/01/15 06:00 PM EST

Fred Thompson, the former U.S. senator also known as a start on television's "Law and Order," has died, according to a report in the Tennessean.

Thompson died from a recurrence of lymphona, according to a statement from his family to the newspaper.

"It is with a heavy heart and a deep sense of grief that we share the passing our our brother, husband, father, and grandfather who died peacefully in Nashville surrounded by his family," the statement said.

Thompson served as a U.S. senator from 1994 to 2003 for leaving the Senate to resume his acting career.

He briefly ran for president during the 2008 cycle before dropping out in the race eventually won by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

As an actor, Thompson was best known for playing Manhattan D.A. Arthur Branch. He began playing in the role in the last several months of his Senate career.

Before entering the Senate, Thompson had memorable roles in "Die Hard II," "No Way Out," and "Days of  Thunder."

But before becoming an actor, Thompsoh had a long career in Tennessee and Washington as a lawyer, including a stint as minority counsel on the Senate Watergate Committee.

"Fred once said that the experiences he had growing up in small-town Tennessee formed the prism through which he viewed the world and shaped the way he dealt with life," his family said in a statement. "Fred stood on principle and common sense, and had a deep love for and connection with the people across Tennessee whom he had the privilege to serve in the United States Senate.

"He enjoyed a hearty laugh, a strong handshake, a good cigar, and a healthy dose of humility. Fred was the same man on the floor of the Senate, the movie studio, or the town square of Lawrenceburg, his home," the statement said.

"Fred believed that the greatness of our nation was defined by the hard work, faith, and honesty of its people. He had an enduring belief in the exceptionalism of our country, and that America could provide the opportunity for any boy or girl, in any corner of our country, to succeed in life," the statement concluded.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/258795-sen-fed-thompson-dies-at-73
Support the USO

Offline aligncare

« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2015, 11:26:24 pm »

Rest in peace, "Freddie."

In life he did much to raise the republican brand, giving conservatives a presence in Hollywood they never had before.

It's fitting he be given his own thread.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »

In life he did much to raise the republican brand, giving conservatives a presence in Hollywood they never had before.

Completely agree.

Rest in peace, Senator Thompson.  You will be missed.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »
I saw a comment somewhere else to the effect that Fred didn't really want to be president - which is why he would have been a good one.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2015, 11:58:43 pm »

Agree.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2015, 12:04:52 am »
I saw a comment somewhere else to the effect that Fred didn't really want to be president - which is why he would have been a good one.

Yep! He was a good man!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2015, 12:09:11 am »

I agree!  Good man!  Filled the screen...that face...that voice.  The delivery!!

And for awhile, he inspired some of us.  RIP, Fred Thompson!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2015, 12:40:17 am »
Damn.  Just damn.

RIP Senator.  You were one of the good guys and you will be missed. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2015, 12:48:52 am »
He had a very ambitious wife and admittedly married, at least, for looks. (And seriously, could you blame the guy? She's gorgeous.)

But seriously, as much as I sparred with Thompson supporters back in '07, he was a genuinely decent man. It's a shame he had to go out that way. May he rest in peace.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2015, 12:59:37 am »
And might I add, he also had a gift for one-liners. His Twitter feed was great (his last tweet was four weeks ago).

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »
Helluva guy.  I was always a huge fan of his radio commentary broadcast, which showed his common sense brilliance to the world. When he announced that he was running for President, I thought it was game set match. But that was not to be. He will be missed.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Paladin

« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2015, 01:40:00 am »
"George Barris, Designer of TV’s Batmobile, Dead at 89"

Interesting the things for which we are remembered. When I was a 50s teenager growing up in So Cal George Barris was a specrtal figure somewhere out there in the Hollywood area who set the standards for how we customized our cars. Lowered, chopped, channeled. Lord knows I ruined my first car, a 55 Chevy, seeking to emulate the Barris style. LOl. Anyway, God rest his soul.

""Sorry to have to post that my father, legendary kustom car king George Barris, has moved to the bigger garage in the sky. He passed on peacefully in his sleep at 2:45 am," his son Brett said in a private post on Facebook. "He lived his life they way he wanted til the end. He would want everyone celebrate the passion he had for life and for what he created for all to enjoy."

Barris is credited with designing iconic automobiles for TV shows including the Munster Koach, the Green Hornet's car from the titular series, the jalopy from "The Beverly Hillbillies" and K.I.T.T. from "Knight Rider."

But he's arguably most renown for creating the Batmobile from the 1960s "Batman" series, a car he adapted from a concept car he acquired from the Ford Motor Company."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/george-barris-designer-of-tv%E2%80%99s-batmobile-dead-at-89/ar-BBmSSFL?ocid=ansmsnent11
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:07 am »
My friend and I met George Barris in the 60s at a custom car show at the New York Coliseum. As teenagers we loved what were lovingly referred to as "funny cars" back then. I saved that photo and autograph for decades. Don't know if I still have it. But reading of his death, brought back the memory of that day.

Rest in Peace, George Barris.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2015, 02:08:33 am »
Before the goofy cars for television, there were some beautiful custom cars on the road, by older guys mostly.

I remember around age ten I walked a certain route to my grandmother's house, and there was about a 55 Chevy named "Chantilly Lace."

Later in high school, a rich friend had a custom car before he reached 16, so he got permission from his folks, for me to drive us around in it. He had an uncle that created it for him. About a 1950 Ford.

Lowered all around, lowered in front, spinners, twice pipes, record players, vibra-sonic, tuck-n-roll seats, trim removed (shaved), etc. Cars for show, cars for fast, cars for purpose of hauling surfboards to the beach, and the drive-in movies.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2015, 02:16:44 am »
Lowered all around, lowered in front, spinners, twice pipes, record players, vibra-sonic, tuck-n-roll seats, trim removed (shaved), etc. Cars for show, cars for fast, cars for purpose of hauling surfboards to the beach, and the drive-in movies.

Not a criticism, but you forgot "cars for cruising", a favorite pastime.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:18 am »

Cruisin' Friday night on the main drag with music blasting. Ah, the memories.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2015, 02:29:23 am »
Good catch. American Graffiti. "Where were you, in sixty-two?"

"Let's take a trip down Whittier Boulevard"

Or Harbor, or Colorado, or Lakewood, or Balboa in Newport, or PCH from San Diego to Santa Barbara, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln