Author Topic: Obituaries for 2015  (Read 71795 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2015
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:09 am »
"'MASH' Star Wayne Rogers Dies at 82"

"Actor Wayne Rogers died on Thursday from complications from pneumonia, his rep exclusively tells ET. He was 82 years old.

Rogers, who hailed from Alabama, is best known for playing the role of Captain "Trapper" John McIntyre in the classic television series M*A*S*H from 1972-1975. He also had recurring roles in City of Angels, House Calls, and Murder, She Wrote."

Rogers may be best known for his acting gigs, but he was also a very savvy financial investor and ran his own investment firm.

Wasn't Rogers on Fox Business sometimes?  I had no idea he was 82!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2016, 04:39:36 am »
I had no idea his death would be posted in Entertainment. I just assumed it would be here in Obituaries, so sure I didn't even do a search. Well, now it's on here twice.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »
I had no idea his death would be posted in Entertainment. I just assumed it would be here in Obituaries, so sure I didn't even do a search. Well, now it's on here twice.
The threads have been merged.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »
It's OK. Sometimes a person is notable enough to have their own thread (although I don't necessarily think Rogers fits that bill, it happens and I don't consider it that big of a deal). This is a summary thread anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
We should survey how many of us saw Meadowlark in person. What an entertaining guy.

I watched them play around 1969.... they were great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNXdkmeKPL4

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2016, 04:40:26 pm »
I watched them play around 1969.... they were great.

I would have seen them about the same time in the DC area.  They were great!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »
Singer Natalie Cole has died.

Daily News
Natalie Cole dead at 65: R&B singer was daughter of Nat King Cole
BY Larry Mcshane  / 
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS /
 Updated: Friday, January 1, 2016, 12:21 PM

Chart-topping R&B singer Natalie Cole, who followed her legendary father into the music business with hits like “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” and “Unforgettable,” died at age 65.

“Natalie Cole, sister beloved & of substance and sound. May her soul rest in peace,” tweeted the Rev. Jesse Jackson on New Year’s Day.

Cole, who had struggled with a variety of health issues in recent years, died Thursday night, according to publicist Maureen O’Connor. The cause of death was reportedly congestive heart failure.

A physically weakened Cole, winner of nine Grammy Awards, was forced to cancel a string of concert performances over the last three months after a recurrence of hepatitis C linked to her earlier drug abuse ....

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2016, 05:54:06 pm »
How sad about Natalie Cole!   I absolutely loved her singing "Unforgettable" with her Dad long after he had passed away.  She inherited his sweet vocal style.

Too young.  FAR too young.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2016, 05:56:04 pm »
How sad about Natalie Cole!   I absolutely loved her singing "Unforgettable" with her Dad long after he had passed away.  She inherited his sweet vocal style.

Yes, too young.

She did take the opportunity to get past her self-destructive youth and grow into a mature and positive adult.  God bless her.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:56:32 pm by Sanguine »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »
Sad to hear about Natalie Cole.  Yes, 65 is way too young.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »

It brought shivers. Haunting melody, technical magic, enduring legacy. Natalie's tribute to Unforgettable had everything.

I understand she succumbed to a complication of kidney transplant. So sad.

Too soon, too soon.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2016, 08:30:05 pm »
It brought shivers. Haunting melody, technical magic, enduring legacy. Natalie's tribute to Unforgettable had everything.

I understand she succumbed to a complication of kidney transplant. So sad.

Too soon, too soon.

You captured "Unforgettable" perfectly, ac.   It brought tears to my eyes every time I watched it.   I think she was only 8 when she lost her Dad.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »
Actor Wayne Rogers died on Thursday from complications from pneumonia, his rep exclusively tells ET. He was 82 years old.

Rogers, who hailed from Alabama, is best known for playing the role of Captain "Trapper" John McIntyre in the classic television series M*A*S*H from 1972-1975. He also had recurring roles in City of Angels, House Calls, and Murder, She Wrote.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/mash-star-wayne-rogers-dies-at-82/ar-BBo5ZgI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

And he was a conservative. Loved that guy. One of the reasons he left M*A*S*H* was because Alda made it way too preachy liberal for him to take anymore.

I still watch the old reruns. The ones with him are still the best and straight up funny.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:51:48 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2016, 03:26:45 am »
[float=right][/float]Hall of Fame defensive end Doug Atkins dies at 85

Atkins was one of the first players to take advantage of free substitution (the ability to play solely on offense or defense) when it became popular in the 1950s and specialized in the right defensive end position, often attacking quarterbacks from the weak side. At 6'8, 257 pounds, Atkins played 16 seasons in the NFL, most of those with the Chicago Bears (he also was a member of the inaugural New Orleans Saints roster). Considered one of the best pass rushers of all time, Atkins played in eight Pro Bowls was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982. He died December 30 of numerous unspecified illnesses and was in significant pain toward the end of his life, although all indications were that he was sound of mind.

Obituary from The Jackson Sun

Wikipedia

(Hopefully this is the last one for 2015.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:27:46 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024