Author Topic: ISIS claims capture of Jordanian pilot after plane shot down over Syria  (Read 690 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
(CNN) -- ISIS militants claim to have captured a Jordanian pilot after shooting down a coalition warplane over Syria on Wednesday, according to a statement posted on an ISIS-affiliated Twitter account.

The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had reported earlier Wednesday that ISIS had shot down an unidentified warplane near the extremist group's stronghold of Raqqa.

Photos purported to be of the captured pilot were posted online. CNN couldn't independently confirm the authenticity of the images.

Jordan is one of several Arab nations that has taken part in airstrikes on ISIS positions in Syria since September.

The capture of a pilot would be a setback for the anti-ISIS alliance.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/world/meast/syria-isis-shoots-down-warplane/index.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: ISIS claims capture of Jordanian pilot after plane shot down over Syria
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:20:31 pm »
I have dreaded the possibility of this happening!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »
It was bound to happen sooner or later - fighter jocks know the risks. It's hard to shoot them down, but if you manage it the pilot usually survives now.

From the pilot's perspective, the one good thing is he is a high value prisoner and is unlikely to simply be executed out of hand. Unfortunately, him being a high value prisoner also means that a rescue attempt is somewhere between unlikely and impossible now he is in enemy hands.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »
It was bound to happen sooner or later - fighter jocks know the risks. It's hard to shoot them down, but if you manage it the pilot usually survives now.

From the pilot's perspective, the one good thing is he is a high value prisoner and is unlikely to simply be executed out of hand. Unfortunately, him being a high value prisoner also means that a rescue attempt is somewhere between unlikely and impossible now he is in enemy hands.

I think it is a matter of time they have somewhat of a functional air force...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:19:29 pm »
ISIL have a lot of pilots, with varying levels of experience - that isn't the problem for them. Their problem is maintenance and spares, as well as airframes, since the only kit they get is what they can scavenge or steal.

A few months ago, they released photos of captured planes and they were all (at least the ones in the photos) wrecks that had been stripped for parts or mothballed badly by the Iraqi Air Force. Doubt a single one of them was capable of starting, never mind flying, without several thousand man hours of work. Not the sort of work your average alleyway mechanic can deal with either.

Add in their problems with basing - choppers can work from almost anywhere, jets can't - and their concession of the skies and emphasis on MANPADS in their arms mix makes a lot of sense. I fully expect a few cheese targets to be offered, if they haven't already: an apparent high value force accumulation to sucker in the fighters to manpad range.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:28:21 pm »
The Independent ‏@Independent 8m8 minutes ago

Jordanian pilot captured by #Isis named as 26-year-old Mu'ath Safi Yousef al-Kaseasbeh http://ind.pn/1HAFUzn