Author Topic: Houston Grand Jury Clears Officer in Deadly Police Shooting (Lock Down the TVs and Nikes)  (Read 379 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
A Harris County grand jury today has cleared a Houston police officer in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man in January.

The panel, which has been meeting for months, cleared officer Juventino Castro in the death of 26-year-old Jordan Baker.

The inquiry marked one of Harris County's first grand jury deliberations in a police shooting following recent unrest over the lack of indictments in the officer-involved deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and Eric Garner in New York.

Baker's death has gained national attention as another unarmed black man killed by police, a trend that has sparked protests and calls for body cameras on officers.

Janet Baker, who spent most of Tuesday and Thursday last week awaiting a decision at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center, had maintained that Castro profiled her son - who was wearing a black hoodie - as a criminal. Along with activists, she has been accompanied by mothers whose sons have been injured or killed in local shootings.

The grieving mother and her supporters had remained hopeful that the grand jury would indict the officer so that his actions can be considered by a trial jury.

"I want to express my deepest sympathies to Janet Baker and the entire Baker family," said Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson in a statement. "I know they are disappointed, but the grand jury's decision means they found that there was no probable cause to believe a crime was committed. It does not constitute an endorsement of the officer's actions."

In order for an indictment to occur, at least nine of the 12 grand jurors must find there is probable cause. Anderson said that the panel's decision shows there was not enough evidence for a criminal charge.

Flanked by supporters, Janet Baker slowly walked out of the grand jury waiting room and faced a throng of news cameras.

She said her son was simply at a shopping center three blocks from his home.

"I intend to seek justice for Jordan," she said in a soft, breathless whisper. "We just have a lot of work to do."

When asked if she had something to say to Castro, she responded that she would rather speak to the system that cleared him.

Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Houston, issued a statement that said, in part:

"Houston has an African-American population of 23.7 percent. However, as recently as 2012, African-Americans accounted for 48 percent of victims killed by the police. This cannot and must not continue. This case may be an incident involving racial profiling and the use of excessive force.

"I am therefore calling upon the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the killing of Jordan Baker and to take appropriate action, including convening a federal grand jury, to ensure that his civil and constitutional rights are vindicated."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Grand-jury-decision-looms-in-deadly-police-5975544.php
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton