Author Topic: The Obamas: How We Deal with Our Own Racist Experiences  (Read 2658 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Obamas: How We Deal with Our Own Racist Experiences
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:55:06 pm »
http://www.people.com/article/barack-obama-michelle-obama-ferguson-racism-racial-profiling-interview

By Sandra Sobieraj Westfall
@sswestfall

12/17/2014 AT 06:30 AM EST

The Obamas open up about raising their daughters, the impact of stereotypes, and what's on the POTUS dance party playlist. Subscribe now for instant access to the exclusive PEOPLE interview!

The protective bubble that comes with the presidency – the armored limo, the Secret Service detail, the White House – shields Barack and Michelle Obama from a lot of unpleasantness. But their encounters with racial prejudice aren't as far in the past as one might expect. And they obviously still sting.

"I think people forget that we've lived in the White House for six years," the first lady told PEOPLE, laughing wryly, along with her husband, at the assumption that the first family has been largely insulated from coming face-to-face with racism. 

"Before that, Barack Obama was a black man that lived on the South Side of Chicago, who had his share of troubles catching cabs," Mrs. Obama said in the Dec. 10 interview appearing in the new issue of PEOPLE.

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."

In a 30-minute conversation, the president and Mrs. Obama candidly added their stories to the national discussion of race and racial profiling that was sparked by the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and Eric Garner in Staten Island, New York.

"There's no black male my age, who's a professional, who hasn't come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn't hand them their car keys," said the president, adding that, yes, it had happened to him.

Mrs. Obama recalled another incident: "He was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee."

Things have gotten better, both Obamas agreed, but there's still more progress to be made.

"The small irritations or indignities that we experience are nothing compared to what a previous generation experienced," President Obama said. "It's one thing for me to be mistaken for a waiter at a gala. It's another thing for my son to be mistaken for a robber and to be handcuffed, or worse, if he happens to be walking down the street and is dressed the way teenagers dress."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: The Obamas: How We Deal with Our Own Racist Experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:14:45 pm »
during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf.

This is racism...BS...maybe because you are 5'11" and can reach the top shelf....I am 5'7" and I am asked all the time by people if I can reach something for them....you are grasping Michelle if you consider this racism!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:49 pm »
"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."

Did you stop and think for a moment that the lady may have been in genuine need of help and you were just the closest or tallest person she saw. I get asked all the time to help someone get something off a tall shelf. They aren't mistaking me for an employee, they are reaching out to a fellow human for help. Have you heard of common courtesy? 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »
Have you heard of common courtesy?

Given his background and upbringing I would say no! He hasn't! Can't fathom the concept!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »
...and even if they did mistake you for an employee, SO WHAT? Is there something so insulting about a job at target? Is it beneath you? Do you look down to those people who work there that you would take it as an insult?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/12/barack_and_michelle_playing_the_race_card_in_empeopleem_magazine.html

December 17, 2014
Barack and Michelle playing the race card in People Magazine
By Thomas Lifson

Having learned nothing from its in-the-tank-for-Democrats Hillary Clinton cover debacle, People Magazine is helping out President and Mrs. Obama in their efforts to play the racial victimization card with an interview bemoaning racial profiling, accompanied by a photo that shows a lot of work on making them look like an appealing couple.

This is the gem of the piece:

"There's no black male my age, who's a professional, who hasn't come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn't hand them their car keys," said the president, adding that, yes, it had happened to him.

None?  This is universal?  Besides, as Richard Baehr notes, handing your car keys to someone means you don’t believe he will steal the car.  He knows someone who handed the keys to his Mercedes to white guy for parking, and never saw it again.  And as Ed Lasky comments, “[t]hey are just going to keep venting their spleens at a country that is downright mean…this race-stoking is just going to get worse.”

Support the USO

Offline Millee

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »
I'm sure Secret Service just let some random lady saunter right up to ya, Mooch.   :whistle:

My God, I'm sick of these people.   :#@$%:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:48:51 pm »
I'm sure Secret Service just let some random lady saunter right up to ya, Mooch.   :whistle:

My God, I'm sick of these people.   :#@$%:

An EXCELLENT point my dear! 

BRAVO!!!!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:03:43 pm »
The biggest instance of racial prejudice OPapaDoc has had to deal with in his lifetime was getting elected POTUS.  Because if he wasn't black, he would not have been elected. 

Offline Millee

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »
Reminds me of when Oprah was boo-hoo'ing that some sales clerk in Europe didn't recognize her in some la-di-da store when she was dressed like Betty the Bag Lady.   8888crybaby

Obviously racist. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »
This interview is just People magazine moving forward with one of the obola agendas for them which will be race for the next 2+ years. None of these tales she and her prez hubby tell are the truth. Just need to constantly  push the race agenda forward. Gotta keep the masses upset about race, it helps with the distraction factor.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »
This interview is just People magazine moving forward with one of the obola agendas for them which will be race for the next 2+ years. None of these tales she and her prez hubby tell are the truth. Just need to constantly  push the race agenda forward. Gotta keep the masses upset about race, it helps with the distraction factor.

Yep!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »
This is racism...BS...maybe because you are 5'11" and can reach the top shelf....I am 5'7" and I am asked all the time by people if I can reach something for them....you are grasping Michelle if you consider this racism!

Same here.  I'm 5' 7" and am asked all the time to help people get things off the top shelf.  And when something's too high for me, I ask someone taller.

Michelle Obama is a racist idiot.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:07:52 pm »
The biggest instance of racial prejudice OPapaDoc has had to deal with in his lifetime was getting elected POTUS.  Because if he wasn't black, he would not have been elected.

Best post of the decade!   :patriot:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:38:08 pm »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:01:31 pm »

I never noticed that many blacks working as valets.

Handing your car keys to a black man kinda goes against most people's better instincts...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »
In an interview on David Letterman recounting the experience, she had a slightly different story:

“No one knew that was me. Because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something.’ And I thought, ‘Oh, cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not. And the only thing she said — I reached up, because she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down. She said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was my interaction. I felt so good.”

More at IJ Review
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »
In an interview on David Letterman recounting the experience, she had a slightly different story:

“No one knew that was me. Because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something.’ And I thought, ‘Oh, cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not. And the only thing she said — I reached up, because she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down. She said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was my interaction. I felt so good.”

More at IJ Review

Glenn Beck just played this clip from Letterman, and then had the sister of the woman involved on the phone.

The woman who asked Michelle for help is a big Obama fan, didn't recognize Michelle and is ticked that she's being called a racist.  (Her sister who called is a conservative, and also not a racist).

Welcome to the reality of the nasty racists you helped elect, lady.  How does it feel to be accused of racism for someone else's political agenda?  Not so good, huh??

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:44 pm »
Oh, yeah.......... and the lady's husband works for MSNBC....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,156998.0.html
People Magazine Fails: Michelle's 2014 Target Racism Story Exposed As a 2012 Target Feel-Good Story
Support the USO