Author Topic: Tea Party Mom Wins $1.1 Million For False Prosecution  (Read 328 times)

rangerrebew

Tea Party Mom Wins $1.1 Million For False Prosecution
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:02 pm »

Tea Party Mom Wins $1.1 Million For False Prosecution

By Robert Gehl, December 16, 2014.

When police in Southhampton, New York, approached Nancy Genovese in 2009, they wanted information.

“You’re a real right-winter, aren’t you?” the officer said. “I’ll bet you’re one of those Tea Party people.” When Genovese, a Long-Island mother of three said she had attended a Tea Party rally, the officer said “You’re a Teabagger,” and said she would be arrested for terrorism to make an example to other “right wingers.”

So what exactly was Genovese doing that got Suffolk County deputies all upset? She was taking pictures of a tourist attraction – a decorative helicopter – in front of the Gabreski Air National Guard Base. She had just returned from the firing range and had two guns and ammunition in her car.

They arrested her and threw her in jail – despite her having committed no crime.

She filed a lawsuit against Suffolk County and just won $1.1 million for false prosecution.

“Ms. Genovese was subjected to a level of abuse because [authorities] did not share the same political views as she did and saw this as an excuse to deny her even the most basic civil rights,” her lawyer Frederick Brewington said.

Genovese said in a statement said she was “relieved” by the jury’s verdict. She added, “if this can happen to me, and officers can abuse their power like this, I can only imagine how other people who are not as fortunate as me have been treated.”

Score one for the good guys.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/tea-party-mom-wins-1-1-million-for-false-prosecution/

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:26:43 pm by rangerrebew »