Author Topic: Is WWIII imminent?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline pjohns

Is WWIII imminent?
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:19:21 pm »
At first glance, it seems like an especially provocative question.  But there may be some reason to wonder if it is in the offing.

The Russian ruble is down almost 50 percent against the dollar this year.  In other words, Russia is now experiencing hyperinflation.  Its economy is in shambles.

The situation is not too much different than it was in Germany between WWI and WWII; which, of course, gave rise to Adolf Hitler, together with his land grabs. 

Some people think that Putin will start a war somewhere in the world--probably in the Middle East--in order to create higher oil prices (without which, Russia simply cannot survive). 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:11:45 am by pjohns »

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Is WWIII imminent?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:10 pm »
If Russia had removed an elected pro-U.S. government in Canada, installed a puppet government friendly to Russia which then attacked ethnic Americans living in Canada and convinced the Chinese to sell their U.S. debt so as to crash the dollar... what do you think the U.S. would do?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline pjohns

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:13:37 am »
If Russia had removed an elected pro-U.S. government in Canada, installed a puppet government friendly to Russia which then attacked ethnic Americans living in Canada and convinced the Chinese to sell their U.S. debt so as to crash the dollar... what do you think the U.S. would do?

What, exactly. does this have to do with the recent crash of the Russian ruble?

Or are you just taking this opportunity to launch a polemic?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:25:43 am »
What, exactly. does this have to do with the recent crash of the Russian ruble?

Or are you just taking this opportunity to launch a polemic?

Just as the U.S. used the Saudis to overwhelm the oil-market to crash the ruble, the Russians could hypothetically use the Chinese to overwhelm the main U.S. export (debt) to crash the dollar.

I thought the analogy was fairly obvious...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:33:37 am by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline pjohns

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:16:40 am »
Just as the U.S. used the Saudis to overwhelm the oil-market to crash the ruble, the Russians could hypothetically use the Chinese to overwhelm the main U.S. export (debt) to crash the dollar.

And your proof of this assertion (preferably, from a neutral source) is...what?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
And your proof of this assertion (preferably, from a neutral source) is...what?

I'll get right on that, Bud.

You wait here...

Offline evadR

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
We're already IN WWIII.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »

You wait here...

LOL

:silly:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:04 pm »

I thought the analogy was fairly obvious...

If I was Putin and the Chinese, I would certainly be thinking along these lines. 

But then, I'm just a stupid hick - so what would I know?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »
Just as the U.S. used the Saudis to overwhelm the oil-market to crash the ruble ....

You have the tail wagging the dog again.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:25 pm »

Or maybe you do...

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:43:40 pm »

What I've been reading suggests that the Saudis haven't agreed to production cuts because they're scared that they've been losing market share because of the oil coming from fracking and other new techniques in the US.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 09:19:20 pm »
The world economies and political situations have absorbed previous changes in crude prices, without world wars.

Prices around $100 per bbl. reflected  scarcity, not increased supply from enhanced recovery techniques.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »
What I've been reading suggests that the Saudis haven't agreed to production cuts because they're scared that they've been losing market share because of the oil coming from fracking and other new techniques in the US.

Why sure... I think that's why it's published... so people will believe it...

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:54 pm »
I cannot help but think this oil glut is intentional.  I think The USA and Saudis decided to put some economic pressure on both Iran and Russia as key decisions are being negotiated.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »
I cannot help but think this oil glut is intentional.  I think The USA and Saudis decided to put some economic pressure on both Iran and Russia as key decisions are being negotiated.

Mee too.  The Saudis aren't too happy with the Russians or the Iranians and neither is the U.S.  Plus the banksters get to pick up some fracking cos on the cheap.

Wieners all around this one...

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:01:09 pm »
Mee too.  The Saudis aren't too happy with the Russians or the Iranians and neither is the U.S.  Plus the banksters get to pick up some fracking cos on the cheap.

Wieners all around this one...

Bingo!!

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
The world economies and political situations have absorbed previous changes in crude prices, without world wars.

Prices around $100 per bbl. reflected  scarcity, not increased supply from enhanced recovery techniques.

Obviously.  And the price coming down was due in part to those techniques.

Offline pjohns

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:10 am »

It is not "world" economies in general, but the Russian economy specifically (which simply cannot long survive with low oil prices, since it has nothing else to support it), that we are talking about here...

Offline pjohns

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:44:45 am »

Please do.

It is usually best to back up an assertion--preferably, with a neutral source--lest it should appear entirely unsupportable...