Author Topic: Warren Can Win...David Brooks  (Read 2031 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Warren Can Win...David Brooks
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/opinion/david-brooks-elizabeth-warren-can-win.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=0

Warren Can Win
DEC. 15, 2014
 David Brooks

Elizabeth Warren’s memoir begins with the story of a family in collapse. She was 12 years old when her father had a heart attack.

His recovery was slow. Unable to work, the family’s finances tanked. The Studebaker was repossessed. When he was able to return to work, Montgomery Ward took away his job selling carpeting and gave him a job selling lawn mowers on commission. Warren asked her mother why the old job was gone. “In her view, his company had robbed him of something he’d worked for. And now, she said, ‘They think he’s going to die.’ ”

The financial spiral had the predictable effect on the family’s emotional life. “Sometimes that spring I would overhear my parents arguing,” Warren remembers, “I guess I shouldn’t describe it as arguing; my father never said much of anything, while my mother yelled louder. They drank more, a lot more. . . . I knew that my mother blamed my daddy for not doing ‘what a man is supposed to do’ and taking care of us.”

Her mother ended up getting a job at Sears, her father got a job as a maintenance man and the family finances stabilized — at a low level. Warren concluded the episode this way: “My mother never had it easy. She fought for everything she and my daddy ever had.”

The memoir is called “A Fighting Chance.” The words “fight” or “fighting” appear in the book 224 times. In high school, Warren writes, she couldn’t play a musical instrument or a sport, “but I did have one talent. I could fight — not with my fists, but with my words. I was the anchor on the debate team.” Of her tennis game she writes, “Once I had a weapon in my hand, I gave it everything I had.”

With relish, she describes a fight she later had with a judge on a panel discussion over bankruptcy law. “The judge probably had a hundred pounds on me, and he started shifting himself closer to the microphone and edging me out of his way. I grabbed the table for leverage and pushed my way to the microphone, going shoulder to shoulder with the judge as I hit back with arguments. . . . I glanced over and noticed with satisfaction that the veins in his neck were throbbing and his face was red and sweating. I wondered briefly whether he might have a stroke right there on the small stage.”

Her biggest adult fight has been against the banks, against what she saw as their rapacious exploitation of the poor and vulnerable. The crucial distinction Warren makes is this one: It’s not just social conditions like globalization and technological change that threaten the middle class. It’s an active conspiracy by the rich and powerful. The game is rigged. The proper response is not just policy-making; it’s indignation and combat.

The political class has been wondering if Warren, a United States senator from Massachusetts, will take on Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination. This speculation is usually based on the premise that Warren couldn’t actually win, but that she could move the party in her direction. But, today, even for those of us who disagree with Warren fundamentally, it seems clear that she does have a significant and growing chance of being nominated.

Her chances are rising because of that word “fight.” The emotional register of the Democratic Party is growing more combative. There’s an underlying and sometimes vituperative sense of frustration toward President Obama, and especially his supposed inability to go to the mat.

Events like the Brown case in Ferguson and the Garner case in New York have raised indignation levels across the progressive spectrum. Judging by recent polls, the midterm defeat has not scared Democrats into supporting the safe option; it’s made them angrier about the whole system. As the party slips more into opposition status, with the next Congress, this aggressive outsider spirit will only grow.

In this era of bad feelings, parties are organized more around what they oppose rather than what they are for. Republicans are against government. Democrats are coalescing around opposition to Wall Street and corporate power. In 2001, 51 percent of Democrats were dissatisfied with the rise of corporate power, according to Gallup surveys. By 2011, 79 percent of Democrats were. According to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll last month, 58 percent of Democrats said they believed that the economic and political systems were stacked against them.

Clinton is obviously tough, but she just can’t speak with a clear voice against Wall Street and Washington insiders. Warren’s wing shows increasing passion and strength, both in opposing certain Obama nominees and in last week’s budget fight.

The history of populist candidates is that they never actually get the nomination. The establishment wins. That’s still likely. But there is something in the air. The fundamental truth is that every structural and historical advantage favors Clinton, but every day more Democrats embrace the emotion and view defined by Warren.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Warren Can Win...David Brooks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »
If Warren were to get nominated, I will safely make the prediction that some on this site will vote for her.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »
If Warren were to get nominated, I will safely make the prediction that some on this site will vote for her.

that's an easy prediction for you to make since YOU are likely one of them!

IMHO of course!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:21:37 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »

IMHO of course!

Guess again.

I was actually thinking of you. She and Ted Cruz were, after all, arm-in-arm in opposing the budget bill.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »
Guess again.

I was actually thinking of you. She and Ted Cruz were, after all, arm-in-arm in opposing the budget bill.

YOU are the one that's in love with the crony capitalists in Washington! Not me or Ted Cruz!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:42:29 pm »
YOU are the one that's in love with the crony capitalists in Washington! Not me or Ted Cruz!

I'm a realist. You're a populist, idealist who follows a man who throws himself off a cliff knowing he's got no parachute.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:46:34 pm »
I'm a realist. You're a populist, idealist who follows a man who throws himself off a cliff knowing he's got no parachute.

You are an establishment loving crony capitalist in my book and a known prevaricator to boot!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:50 pm »
You are an establishment loving crony capitalist in my book and a known prevaricator to boot!

"Crony capitalist" must be the latest cliche you Tea Partiers have picked up from Palinville and are going to work it into every single sentence you post.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »
"Crony capitalist" must be the latest cliche you Tea Partiers have picked up from Palinville and are going to work it into every single sentence you post.

Maybe! Maybe not! But it does have a meaning! And you are apparently in LOVE with it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »

Just out of curiosity, which way would you go if it were Warren versus Cruz?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »
Maybe! Maybe not! But it does have a meaning! And you are apparently in LOVE with it!

Nah. I have never donated to a political candidate nor done anything to ask for favors from anybody in government.

So you're wrong.  But, I suspected you knew that.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »
Just out of curiosity, which way would you go if it were Warren versus Cruz?

Cruz.  But that's not going to be the choice.

I would NEVER vote for a Democrat. Ever.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »
Cruz.  But that's not going to be the choice.

I would NEVER vote for a Democrat. Ever.

OK.  Good to know.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:57 pm »
Nah. I have never donated to a political candidate nor done anything to ask for favors from anybody in government.

So you're wrong.  But, I suspected you knew that.

WOW! That's one hell of an admission Sink!

Thank you!

I have been in the trenches for the last forty years trying to get good people elected for no other reason than a deep love for the republic we inherited! I've donated LOTS of money to LOTS of candidates over that time asking only one thing in return! Do what's right for AMERICA!

Have I made mistakes during that time? YES! But Ted Cruz sure wasn't one of them!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:23:52 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »
WOW! That's one hell of an admission Sink!

Thank you!

I have been in the trenches for the last forty years trying to get good people elected for no other reason than a deep love for the republic we inherited! I've donated LOTS of money to LOTS of candidates over that time asking only one thing in return! Do what's right for AMERICA!

Have I made mistakes during that time? YES! But Ted Cruz sure wasn't one of them!

Donating money to politicians is like giving crack to an addict.  Have never and will never do it.

There are so many worthy charitable causes that need money. Never could figure out why people would waste it on these politicians.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:24:25 pm by Bigun »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »
I wonder what Warren's DU nom de plume is?  One of the other Conservatives forum has the DU "bouncy stories(?)".  It sounds like one.  "Mother" and "daddy"?  Remarkable. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »
Donating money to politicians is like giving crack to an addict.  Have never and will never do it.

There are so many worthy charitable causes that need money. Never could figure out why people would waste it on these politicians.

Well, I guess it turns out I am more of a Republican than you are.  Most of this was given to my congressman Joe Pitts who just voted for the Cromnibus.  And yes, I'll donate again and expect nothing in return.

http://individual-contributors.findthebest.com/d/c/Victor-Massad

Except maybe another picture with a Republican celebrity.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:30:57 pm by massadvj »

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »
 :threadjack:

If Obama could win, Warren could win.  Brooks is no rocket scientist for making that prediction.  One who could not win today would be Lincoln, no amount of makeup could make him look good on TV.

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:22:26 pm »

If Obama could win, Warren could win.  Brooks is no rocket scientist for making that prediction.  One who could not win today would be Lincoln, no amount of makeup could make him look good on TV.

This thread was hijacked early, and boiled down to: "I know you are, but what am I".

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 08:28:47 pm »
 :threadjack: :threadjack: :threadjack: :threadjack: :threadjack:

Well, I say it's been hijacked by the people who like to use the "thread hijacked" icon.

:silly:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »
I would say that, for the most part, it has been a very substantive discussion.

But what do I know?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:46 pm »

If Obama could win, Warren could win.  Brooks is no rocket scientist for making that prediction. 

Agreed. Notice this is just ONE hopeful emerging on the dem side?

Unlike the stupid party, with two dozens !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 04:09:18 am »

IMHO of course!

that was uncalled for.