Author Topic: A Conservative Waterloo: John Boehner Must Go  (Read 2182 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Conservative Waterloo: John Boehner Must Go
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/12/a_conservative_waterloo_john_boehner_must_go.html

December 16, 2014
A Conservative Waterloo: John Boehner Must Go
By Layne Hansen

It is time to stop thinking of John Boehner and the rest of the Republican congressional leadership as being cowardly and recognize them for what they are: part of The Ruling Class that believes it has the right to tell the rest of us how to live.

Since conservative voters handed a majority in the House of Representatives to the Republican Party in 2010, there have been countless missteps and opportunities to stop Democrats.  It began with that first lame duck session when Republicans gave Obama some victories that eventually boosted his popularity and washed away the memory of the landslide victory that had just occurred the month before.  Among these “accomplishments” was the dubious START, a missile treaty that one could argue emboldened Vladimir Putin.

Four years later, after seemingly countless battles where Boehner and company caved to Democrat demands, the conventional wisdom has been that Boehner and the like are cowards who are unwilling to take on an African-American president out of fear that they will be called racists.  Now, however, following revelations that Boehner and the rest of the leadership lied to GOP caucus members to secure passage of the so-called CRomnibus bill, it is now clear that Boehner and his ilk are not cowards.  No, it’s much worse than that.  They are complicit in this continual boondoggle.  Perhaps the Republican congressional leadership agrees with Jonathan Gruber that Americans are just too stupid to stop what they’re doing.

In light of this latest betrayal, Angelo Codevilla’s analysis of American politics is even more relevant.  In his book The Ruling Class, Codevilla claims that Democrats and Republicans are part of a ruling class that seeks to maintain and expand their power over the “Country Class.”  Who is the Country Class?  That would be you and I, dear reader.  We’ve been had.  However, at least we now know where John Boehner truly stands: with Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi.

This all reminds me of that fantastic Warner Brothers cartoon where “Ralph Wolf” and “Sam Sheepdog” meet up at a time clock.  They speak congenially with one another, wishing one another a good day.  Upon clocking in, however, the two assume their natural roles: Ralph tries to catch a sheep, while Sam tries to stop him.  Sam basically beats the crap out of Ralph for the duration of the cartoon, but they eat lunch together, and when the two clock out at the end of their shift, they once again assume their cordial relationship.

The analogy is clear: GOP leaders appear to doggedly oppose Democrats’ agenda, but in reality, they are complicit in it.  It is all political kabuki theater that is meant to assuage Tea Party anger and give the impression that Obama is being stopped.  However, and it is not just clear – it’s right in our face with neon lights – that we are being duped.

For example, the national debt has continued to climb, even after the GOP took over the House, arguably the most powerful political body when it comes to spending.  This is possible only because the House allowed for multiple raisings of the debt ceiling.  And what did they get in return?  Nothing.  Nothing notable, that is.  An average undergrad poli sci major could tell you that if you have political leverage, you should use it.  However, this assumes that Boehner and the like want things to change.  I am now convinced...finally...after giving them the benefit of the doubt for years, that they really want to turn this ship around.  Instead, they want to slow the ship down so it doesn’t hit the iceberg as hard as the Democrats seem to want it to.

I recently had a very illustrative conversation with a colleague, who is a very ardent moderate Republican.  He actually said that Republicans should seek to give citizens “more bang for their buck” in services.  Not streamline and cut, but maximize the utility.  This is the mentality that conservatives are up against.  Meanwhile, employment and wages are stagnant, as are real economic growth and opportunity.  However, I’m here to argue that this can change, and all it will take is the courage of 29 souls.

The current GOP leadership has got to go; this has ceased to be an arguable point.  We cannot count on these people to do what is right.  Conservatives did not give them majorities in both chambers for them to keep playing the same game. 

To retain his position as speaker of the House, John Boehner must receive 218 votes, which is a simple majority.  There will be 246 Republicans in the House in the 114th Congress.  This means that 29 Republicans must state that under no circumstances will they vote for John Boehner for the speakership.  Yes, there are stories of bribery and intimidation by the leadership, but this point in history has to be the conservative caucus’s Alamo.  They must stand here.  If they don’t...well...I don’t even want to think about what will happen.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: A Conservative Waterloo: John Boehner Must Go
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »
More crap from the Tea Partiers, Freedom Works, Club  for Growth.

Bank accounts must be bare, so it's time to gin up another intra-party fight to keep those cards and letters coming.

Sheesh!!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:47:07 pm »
More crap from the Tea Partiers, Freedom Works, Club  for Growth.

Bank accounts must be bare, so it's time to gin up another intra-party fight to keep those cards and letters coming.

Sheesh!!!

What are you SO afraid of Sink?  Thinking you might loose you place at the government tit?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »
What are you SO afraid of Sink?  Thinking you might loose you place at the government tit?

That's uncalled for.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »
That's uncalled for.

I think it's a perfectly valid question!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:07:41 pm »

I don't get ANY money from the government. In fact, I pay for your Social Security, and probably your wife's too,with all the taxes I pay.

So, as part of the 47%, you should think before you run off at the mouth.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »
Geez.  I wish certain peoples would stop hijacking threads with personal innuendo and insults.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Besides, your question is a non-sequitur.

I guess congratulations are in order.  Your boy Cruz set the stage for the confirmation of gun-hating Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General. Now, Teddy-boy enters the majority hated by all his cohorts (except for his stooge Mike Lee).  Not the way to win a presidential nomination.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:12:18 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:11:56 pm »
I don't get ANY money from the government. In fact, I pay for your Social Security, and probably your wife's too,with all the taxes I pay.

So, as part of the 47%, you should think before you run off at the mouth.

If you say so sink! Personally I don't believe that for a second! You truly do love the crony capitalists so!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:55 pm »
Besides, your question is a non-sequitur.

I guess congratulations are in order.  Your boy Cruz set the stage for the confirmation of gun-hating Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General. Now, Teddy-boy enters the majority hated by all his cohorts (except for his stooge Mike Lee).  Not the way to win a presidential nomination.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »
I guess congratulations are in order.  Your boy Cruz set the stage for the confirmation of gun-hating Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General. Now,  he's hated by all his cohorts (except for his stooge Mike Lee).  Not the way to win a presidential nomination.

I want to know why Cruz is to blame for this?
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 01:31:46 pm »
That's uncalled for.

Agreed. Time for someone, anyone to move on from such pettiness. I am getting fed up with it.

Pee Wee Herman redux.

And in case anyone is wondering, my concern here is not for a political argument. It is for the health of the forum.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:40:13 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:35:16 pm »
I want to know why Cruz is to blame for this?

By keeping Congress in session (blame who you like), allowed Reid to move 23 (I think) nominations through by using procedural maneuvering. Had they been in recess, the appointments would have been taken up by the new Congress.  Reid is an ***hole, but he is smart.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:36:27 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »
By keeping Congress in session (blame who you like), allowed Reid to move 23 (I think) nominations through by using procedural maneuvering. Had they been in recess, the appointments would have been taken up by the new Congress.  Reid is an ***hole, but he is smart.

ABSOLUTE and total PROPAGANDA IMHO!

Harry Reid was bound ad determined to get those people confirmed REGARDLESS of anything Ted Cruz did or did not do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 02:47:24 pm »
ABSOLUTE and total PROPAGANDA IMHO!

Harry Reid was bound ad determined to get those people confirmed REGARDLESS of anything Ted Cruz did or did not do!

Thank You for correcting the record on this.  Reid is on the record several times in the last month stating that he would keep the Senate in DC until Christmas Eve to get those nominees through, he didn't need last weekend at all.

:thumbsup:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

If Reid hadn't done it on Saturday - he was going to do it on Monday.  It's the people that keep buying this divisive crap that are stupid - and that's not a personal attack on you Lando - it was meant for the general population.  We're doomed.

Starting to feel like a fish out of water......everywhere.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »
There are four problems with the anti-Cruz scenario. The first is that on Dec. 9, days before Cruz threw a wrench in the works, Reid signaled his intention to confirm all of Obama's remaining nominees, no matter how long it took.

"You know, maybe we'll have to work the weekend and maybe even work next week," Reid told reporters. "I know that's tough duty for everybody, but we may have to do that. We have a number of nominations we're going to do. We're going to — we have nine judges left. We're going to do those. We're going to do [Surgeon General nominee] Dr. [Vivek] Murthy. We're going to do the head of Immigration Naturalization, ICE. Social Security administrator and other things. I've given a list to the Republicans and it's up to them to decide how long we stay."

Does that sound like a majority leader who is ready to pack up and go home without passing his party's nominees? No, it doesn't. And that leads to the second problem with the scenario, which is the nature of Harry Reid himself. It is simply impossible to believe that the man who made the Senate pass Obamacare on Christmas Eve would abandon the president's nominees out of the goodness of his heart so that Republican colleagues could go home to make scheduled dates at the ballet or visits with family. That is not Harry Reid's style. If Cruz had not acted, would Reid have said, 'Well, it looks like we would have to work all the way until Dec. 18 to finish these nominations, so let's just put them aside and go home and have a nice time, even though it's our party's last chance to pass them." Does anyone believe Reid would have done that?

The third problem with the scenario is Reid's authority as majority leader. He can keep the Senate in session whenever he wants (just as Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will be able to do next year.) No, Reid cannot keep every individual senator in the chamber or even in Washington. But he can make the Senate function. And there is little doubt he was determined to pass Obama's nominees.

Finally, the fourth problem with the scenario is Reid's filibuster "reform." The whole point of Reid's exercise of the so-called "nuclear option" was to make it possible for Democrats to roll over Republicans when it came to confirming the president's nominees. Yes, GOP lawmakers could force brief delays in such confirmations, but when push came to shove -- as it did at the end of a session with the Democratic majority set to disappear — Reid could muscle through any nominee for whom he had 51 votes. And so he did; if there was any single factor that accounted for the rush of year-end confirmations, that was it.

As the Senate wound up its work, I asked both Republican and Democratic aides what the effect of the Cruz maneuver had been. One GOP aide discounted the effect of Cruz's action. "Reid made clear that he was going to move these nominations before the end of the year," the aide said. "I personally cannot accept the idea that Harry Reid, out of his own generosity, was going to let us go, even if it cost him 20 nominations."

Another GOP aide argued that Cruz's action had indeed hurt. "The bottom line here is that Reid had agreed to a vote on the 'Cromnibus' Monday evening — before filing on any of these nominees," the aide said in an email exchange. "Once that vote took place, Reid would have lost all the leverage that comes with holding a must-pass piece of legislation over the heads of Democrat senators who'd just lost their majority. Once the 'Cromnibus' passed, they can leave. And Reid would have had less than 48 hours before the beginning of Hanukah to file and confirm his nominations. So sure, maybe he would have moved quickly on a few of the more controversial ones. But certainly not on the 10 or so lifetime federal judges he'll now be able to confirm, among others."

The idea was that as time passed, with the spending bill already done, Reid would have been unable to keep his team together in Washington. But the spending bill was passed over the weekend, and as it turned out, those discouraged Democratic senators stayed in town on Monday and Tuesday to cast votes, including for confirmations. Without that must-pass legislation over their heads, why didn't they just leave — leaving Reid unable to win those confirmations?

"Because Reid already filed on all the nominations," the Senate GOP aide said. "Once that's done, it's like, what the hell, we're staying now."

That's not the most persuasive argument in the world. And of course, the Senate confirmed more nominees than just those covered by Reid over the weekend. In fact, the session ended Tuesday night with senators confirming 34 nominees by unanimous consent. Rather than rush out of town before voting, senators of both parties rushed the voting so they could get out of town. The result was the confirmations that Reid was determined to win all along. Ted Cruz had little or nothing to do with that.

A Democratic aide noted that Reid would have had a more difficult time getting votes as the week wore on. Cruz helped Democrats by allowing the process to start on Saturday rather than Monday, the aide said in an email exchange. But remember, with the Saturday start, the Senate finished on the night of Tuesday, Dec. 16. Would it have killed any of the lawmakers to stay until Thursday if Reid had insisted on confirming the nominees? And the Senate would certainly have stepped on the gas to get it done as early as possible; just look at that session-ending unanimous consent confirmation of 34 nominees.

Finally, the Democratic aide noted another factor shaping events. "The other dynamic at play is that now that Cruz has been firmly established as the goat of the lame duck session, Senate Republicans have cover to bail," the aide wrote before the session ended. "They can give us consents more easily now because they know Cruz will be blamed. There is less pressure on them to hold out and actually force us to run clocks. So that's why I say it is certain that we will walk away with more nominees confirmed than if Cruz had not done what he did."

That is why we saw Democrats extravagantly "thanking" Cruz for his action. They wanted to establish the storyline that Cruz had blundered into giving Democrats what they wanted, because that would give Republicans the opportunity to point fingers at Cruz — even as they gave Democrats what they wanted. It made it easier for everyone to do what they really wanted, which was to head home as soon as possible.

If things had worked out differently, Reid might have been portrayed as a hardass keeping lawmakers trapped in Washington until they confirmed all the president's nominees. In the other scenario, the one that became a reality, lawmakers could blame Cruz while blowing through the nominations in a race out of town.

So there were some very complex cross-currents going on in the Senate in the last few days. The bottom line is that President Obama and Democrats got the confirmations they wanted — just as they planned and intended, regardless of anything Ted Cruz did. As he made clear before it all began, Harry Reid was going to make full use of his last chance to confirm his party's nominees. It would have made no sense for him to do otherwise.

This story was first published on Dec. 16 at 11:38 p.m.

excerpted from
Did Ted Cruz really bungle the lame-duck session for Republicans?
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/did-ted-cruz-really-bungle-the-lame-duck-session-for-republicans/article/2557498
By Byron York | December 17, 2014 | 8:04 am
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »
Excellent article Myst!

Thanks for digging it up!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
Thanks for posting that Mystery.

It is so distressing to see so many self-proclaimed conservatives buying into this "Blame Ted Cruz for everything/Divide and conquer" strategy.

Time and time again.

When are we going to stop letting the media define us?

They say Ted Cruz and the Tea Party are radical kooks.  They try to taint us by calling us Social Conservatives - because they have now made that a pejorative term. 

Today, I am feeling pretty hopeless when I see my own compadres turning on each other - instead of the Democrats.  The Tea Party has become the enemy of both parties.......

......I wonder why that is?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »
Today, I am feeling pretty hopeless when I see my own compadres turning on each other - instead of the Democrats.  The Tea Party has become the enemy of both parties.......

I can't tell you how I feel right now...I even wonder why I am doing this at all!!!!

I am sick and tired of all this bickering between us...focus on Obama and all the rats!!...that is our enemy.
Support the USO

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 03:36:52 pm »
Thanks for posting that Mystery.

It is so distressing to see so many self-proclaimed conservatives buying into this "Blame Ted Cruz for everything/Divide and conquer" strategy.

Time and time again.

When are we going to stop letting the media define us?

They say Ted Cruz and the Tea Party are radical kooks.  They try to taint us by calling us Social Conservatives - because they have now made that a pejorative term. 

Yes, thank you very much Myst for posting the York article.

The Tea Party has become the enemy of both parties.......

Because the Tea Party (Country Party) is the enemy of the political Establishment (Ruling Party), both the "R" wing and the "D" wing.

Codevilla's Spectator article from the Summer of 2010 becomes more clear with each passing year:  AMERICA’S RULING CLASS — AND THE PERILS OF REVOLUTION

Worth reading again!!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
"Well over 90 percent of the decisions politicians make in office have very little to do with conservative vs liberal. Instead, they have to do with pitting special interests against each other and collecting money from both sides while delaying making decisions. This is the game they all love, including the lobbyists who collect from their clients so long as decisions remain up in the air."

Victor M.

That's the game! They like it! And anyone who threatens it, even a little bit, is the enemy!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
I can't tell you how I feel right now...I even wonder why I am doing this at all!!!!

I am sick and tired of all this bickering between us...focus on Obama and all the rats!!...that is our enemy.

I know how you feel.  Much like Moses must have felt coming off the mountain to see them worshiping golden calves.  So frustrating!  I want you to know how much I appreciate what you do and why you do it!

:patriot:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:56 pm »
The 'blame Ted Cruz' meme assumes that Reid was about to make a major procedural error until Cruz 'screwed up' and saved Reid's bacon.  I highly doubt that.  Reid's crazy but he's not stupid.

This is all just major spin to discredit Cruz and the Tea Party and would have occurred no matter what Cruz did...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:17:16 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »

To all - please don't challenge my bona fixes. Been around too long for that. If I am wrong, help me. I don't dig into the news like I once did.  Maybe it is similar to the reality of the Democrats being responsible for the shut down but the Republicans getting the blame.

I'm done for awhile. I'm sick of this crap.
John Steinbeck