Author Topic: ABC Family Proudly Announces 'Transgender Docu-series' with Ryan Seacrest Productions  (Read 1133 times)

rangerrebew

ABC Family Proudly Announces 'Transgender Docu-series' with Ryan Seacrest Productions

By Tim Graham | December 12, 2014 | 9:34 PM EST

This headline is a bit amazing: “ABC Family Orders Transgender Docuseries Produced by Ryan Seacrest.” Pat Robertson sold his Family Channel to Fox in 1997, and Disney acquired it in 2001. Now Disney is taking it in an entirely different direction. In 2011, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) announced that ABC Family was the most pro-gay network of the ten networks it reported on. In the summer of 2013 came The Fosters, their lesbian-parent drama.

Now comes a real-life show called My Transparent Life, centered “on a teen named Ben who learns his parents are not only getting a divorce, but also that his father is becoming a woman.” The Hollywood Reporter explained:

The series will intimately follow Ben, his family and friends as they support each other through the unexpected journey and watch Charlie slowly become Carly, as she experiences the many stages of her transition from male to female. The show is described as a generational story of a loving family and circle of friends, supporting each other through the unfamiliar and unexpected situation.

"ABC Family is best known for its complex, loving and relatable family programming, and we are so proud to partner with Ryan Seacrest Productions to share Ben's incredible real-life story," said ABC Family president Tom Ascheim. "While Ben's family situation is unusual, the themes and coming-of-age issues are universal, and we think our viewers will find a real connection to them."

The title seems like a play on the fictional Amazon series Transparent, which follows a fictional "trans woman" with adult children.

Seacrest added “we couldn’t be more excited that ABC Family is helping us share this heartwarming story of how an ordinary teenager grapples with a challenging and unexpected family situation...We feel audiences will find Ben’s story relatable on a number of different levels, because at the end of the day, family is family unconditionally." (Emphasis in the original.)

There’s a whole transgender-promotional wave of documentary programs coming to cable TV:

HBO is also teaming with exec producer Lena Dunham for a documentary about the transgender clients of a bespoke Brooklyn tailor. Not to be outdone, MTV has Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word, a documentary about seven transgender youths as well as scripted comedy Faking It, which features one of primetime's first intersex characters. Meanwhile, corporate sibling VH1 has enlisted Tyra Banks to produce a transgender docuseries called TransAmerica, which chronicles eight transgender millennial women.

On Sunday, Univision and the Pivot network will air Crossing Over: Stories of Immigration and Identity, which will follow three "trans women" who left Mexico to make new lives in a new gender in Los Angeles. It will air in Spanish on Univision and in English on Pivot. This documentary is one in a series of eight documentaries for these two channels called Panoramica, hosted by America Ferrera, best known as the title character in ABC’s series Ugly Betty.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2014/12/12/abc-family-proudly-announces-transgender-docu-series-ryan-seacrest

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I thought Pat Robertson left certain strings attached when he sold that network that would allow him to put the kibosh on a project like this. Let's see if he uses them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Not to be outdone ...
TLC unveiling new show called 'All About Sex'
Published December 13, 2014
·Associated Press via Fox News

The TLC channel is launching its first late-night talk show next month, one with an eye-catching title.

TLC said Friday that the Saturday night show, "All About Sex," will include rotating segments such as the week's "craziest" sex-related news. The talk show also will give viewers a chance to ask questions about their relationship challenges.

"All About Sex" will be co-hosted by comedian Margaret Cho; writer Heather McDonald; actress Marissa Jaret Winokur, and sex and relationship expert Tiffanie Davis Henry.

TLC has ordered six half-hour episodes of "All About Sex," which debuts 11 p.m. EST Jan. 10. It will be paired with the channel's like-minded "Sex Sent Me to the ER," which chronicles sex-related injuries.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
It's a shame that I'll be missing all of these high-quality family shows - we ditched our cable tv years ago - just a bunch of garbage.  Not paying for that!  I haven't missed it once. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

It's a shame that I'll be missing all of these high-quality family shows - we ditched our cable tv years ago - just a bunch of garbage.  Not paying for that!  I haven't missed it once. 

You know of course I did the same thing. And, folks, let me just say, after mild withdrawal, you don't ever miss it. HEY, WE'VE GOT THE INTERNET!!! Stream it or read it.

Offline aligncare

(Oh, and save lots of money, too!)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
(Oh, and save lots of money, too!)

EGG-zactly!

The first couple of days were kind of weird, I missed the background noise.  Now, we listen to music and DO things!  I haven't missed any news 'cause I have the Internet!  We do have Netflix, so I watch movies and tv series that I like - but we pay $10 a month for it!

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You know of course I did the same thing. And, folks, let me just say, after mild withdrawal, you don't ever miss it. HEY, WE'VE GOT THE INTERNET!!! Stream it or read it.
Indeed. I rarely ever watch any scripted or "reality" programming. About the only thing cable is good for is sports, and that's only because the sports leagues (both college and pro) have pushed the cost of rights fees through the roof.

I write my own weather forecasts (I still watch the Weather Channel and WeatherNation if I have nothing better to do; WeatherNation streams for free). If I want to watch cable news, Newsmax streams online for free, as do all the C-SPAN channels. The Internet Archive has a big selection of public domain shows. If you really want to watch reruns, get a cheap DVD player and order box sets of your favorite shows—or get one of those Netflix, Hulu or Amazon subscriptions.

When they say cable TV has hundreds of channels and nothing on them, they're not kidding. The shows that are out there are repeated so often, and spread across so many channels, that the novelty of it all wears off after a few months. Quite literally, there are too many outlets and not enough content to fill them (and even if there were, not enough viewers on any given channel to make it worthwhile).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Never know what might appear on A(merica's) B(est) C(ommunists) network so I simply don't watch it! EVER!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

Offline aligncare

Technology is outpacing itself. Within two years cable and satellite will wither away. The big studios will still produce content, with independent production flourishing, too.

But, the product will ultimately be delivered online and people will purchase only content they want —when they want. Even sports will segment into specific audiences for boxing, ice hockey, baseball, soccer, etc. It's the same thing that happened to radio once the FM band was perfected and FM music broadcast quality improved. Audiences segmented by genre.

Whew. It's hard to stay within the curve, much less be ahead of it.