Author Topic: Dubya Weighs In On Garner Verdict and Douses Divisive Fire with a Drop of Unifying Wisdom  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/12/212693-dubya-weighs-garner-verdict-douses-divisive-fire-drop-unifying-wisdom/

Former President George W. Bush recently sat down for an interview with Candy Crowley of CNN. His words regarding the racial controversies that are burning up our nation are worthy of recognition.

In light of recent events in Ferguson and the Eric Garner verdict, Bush focused on reconciliation and the great tragedy of the current state of race relations:

You know, the verdict was hard to understand, but I hadn’t seen all the details — but it’s sad that race continues to play such an emotional, divisive part of life.

The former President’s words seemed aimed at fostering unity, and understanding — without choosing sides. This humane, compassionate perspective is instructive.

Officials, leaders, citizens — We could all probably learn something from President Bush’s example.

Video at link

Offline LottieDah

Yes  it’s sad that race continues to play such an emotional, divisive part of life.  Over the past few days I have heard  how the police have to change their attitudes when dealing with minorities.  Well how come minorities don't have to change their attitude when confronted by a police officer?  It is a two way street.  For the life of me I can not understand how staging a "die in" in the middle of a department store during the holiday season is going to help change attitudes.  It just makes people angrier.

Offline olde north church

Some people always use the closest arrow in the quiver.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

George W. Bush is far less racist than Barack Obama, and did more for racial reconciliation than anyone on the racist left will ever do.

The left doesn't want unity or understanding.

They want division and hatred.

And that fact is becoming more clear every single day.

Thank you, President Bush, for your moral clarity.   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Thank you, President Bush, for your moral clarity.   :patriot:

It's President Barack Obama held up in contrast to President George W. Bush that provides the moral clarity.

We have a professional community agitator sitting in the Oval Office.  One that personally thrives on division and hatred and class warfare.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

"The left doesn't want unity or understanding.  They want division and hatred."

They depend on it.  It's the only way they can exist.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline olde north church

Police are fond of saying they aren't perfect, they're human, on and on.  Maybe they should take a moment to think about that when approaching a less than petty criminal.  Treating someone with respect doesn't cost a dime but pays back in immeasurable dividends.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

It's President Barack Obama held up in contrast to President George W. Bush that provides the moral clarity.

We have a professional community agitator sitting in the Oval Office.  One that personally thrives on division and hatred and class warfare.

And he's getting exactly what he wanted.

Rioting in the streets.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.