Author Topic: Al-Qaeda affiliate threatens to kill American hostage  (Read 639 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Al-Qaeda affiliate threatens to kill American hostage
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/12/04/hostage-yemen-life-threatened/19877627/

Al-Qaeda affiliate threatens to kill American hostage
Jessica Estepa, USAToday 8:34 a.m. EST December 4, 2014

An al-Qaeda affiliate has threatened to kill an American hostage in three days if the U.S. government does not respond to the group's demands, according to terrorist monitoring group Site Intelligence Group.

Luke Somers, a 33-year-old photojournalist, was abducted in 2013 in Sanaa, the capital of Yemen, according to media reports. In a YouTube video published Wednesday, he says he is certain his "life is in danger."

The video features an al-Qaeda official and a brief message from Somers – dressed in a purple shirt and with a shaved head – at the end. He notes that he was born in England but has American citizenship and lived in America for most of his life.

The al-Qaeda operative who speaks throughout much of the video and threatens that Somers will meet his "inevitable fate" if the group's demands are not met is Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi of the Arabian Peninsula affiliate, Site Intelligence Group said. The video does not list what those demands are, but al-Ansi says Washington is "aware" of them.

"It's now been well over a year since I've been kidnapped in Sanaa," Somers said in the footage. "Basically, I'm looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I'm certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask, if anything can be done, please let it be done. Thank you very much."

Somers was kidnapped in September 2013 from a street in Sanaa, where he had worked as a photojournalist for the Yemen Times, the Associated Press said.

USA TODAY

U.S. journalist was sought in Yemen hostage raid, report says

Since his capture, Yemeni journalists have been holding sit-ins in Sanaa to press the government to seek his release.

U.S. Special Operations forces and Yemeni troops attempted to rescue Somers last week, but he had been moved to another location, the Washington Post reported. Eight hostages were freed in a remote corner of Yemen's Hadramawt province in the operation.

At the time, a Yemeni official said the mission failed to free five others, including an American journalist who was not identified by name and a Briton, who were moved elsewhere by their captors days before the raid.

In the video, al-Ansi criticizes U.S.-led airstrikes against the Islamic State group and President Obama for his "latest foolish action," referring to the "failed operation" in Hadramawt. He says an "elite group of mujahedeen," or holy warriors, were killed in the raid.

He also warned the U.S. against more "stupidities," referring to future attempts to rescue hostages.

The hostage rescue operation was carried out at the request of Yemen's President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi, and was "at least partly an attempt to bolster the stature of Mr. Hadi, a committed but wobbling United States ally whose authority was badly undermined when a rebel group suddenly seized control of Yemen's capital in September," the New York Times reported.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House confirms failed secret mission to rescue American held by al Qaeda
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/4/wh-failed-secret-mission-rescue-american-al-qaeda/?page=all#pagebreak

White House confirms failed secret mission to rescue American held by al Qaeda
By Guy Taylor - The Washington Times - Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Obama administration revealed Thursday that a secret mission launched by U.S. forces inside Yemen last month failed to rescue American Luke Somers — held hostage by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula since September 2013.

White House officials said President Obama personally authorized the mission to rescue the 33-year-old Mr. Somers, the lone American among roughly a dozen hostages held by the extremist group, known by the acronym AQAP.

The revelation came just hours after AQAP militants circulated a video purporting to show Mr. Somers, a photojournalist, saying his life is in danger and making appeals for help.

A report posted on the website of a monitoring outfit known as "SITE Intel Group," said Mr. Somers appears in the video making the following statement in English:

"My name is Luke Somers. I'm 33 years old. I was born in England, but I carry American citizenship and have lived in America for most of my life. It's now been well over a year since I've been kidnapped in Sana'a. Basically, I'm looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I'm certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask if anything can be done, please let it be done. Thank you very much."

The three-minute video also shows an AQAP member speaking about American criminality in the Muslim world and recent actions in Yemen, and warning that Mr. Somers will meet his "inevitable fate" if the U.S. does not respond to unspecified demands made by the group, according to the report by SITE Intel Group.

"We warn Obama and the American government of the consequences of proceeding ahead in any other foolish action," the AQAP member says in the video.

The extremist is apparently referring to last month's rescue attempt — the existence of which the Obama administration revealed Thursday.

"The mission was coordinated with the Yemeni government and was undertaken by U.S. and Yemeni forces," said National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan. "Regrettably, Luke was not present, though hostages of other nationalities were present and were rescued."

In a statement, Ms. Meehan said the "details of the operation remain classified."

A report by the BBC Thursday, said U.S. and Yemeni forces rescued six Yemenis, a Saudi and an Ethiopian being held by AQAP in an Nov. 25 operation at a mountain cave in the remote Hajr al-Sayar district of Yemen's Hadramawt province.

Seven militants were reportedly killed in the operation.

In light of Thursday's developments, a key Republican on Capitol Hill warned the Obama administration to proceed carefully and assertively in the Somers case and to avoid any temptation to "negotiate" with terrorists.

Rep. Michael McCaul, the chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, said the administration set a dangerous precedent for such negotiations earlier this year when President Obama authorized the release of five former high-level Taliban officials from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for the release of American soldier Bowe Bergdahl.

"The Obama administration must not waiver from the United States' long-standing policy of not negotiating with terrorists," Mr. McCaul said in a statement Thursday afternoon. "This administration has already broken this policy once with the release of the Taliban Five, and in doing so allowed dangerous terrorists to resume the fight.

"AQAP's latest threat against an American hostage reflects the unrelenting and pervasive brutality of Islamist extremist groups who are at war with the West," the Texas Republican added. "We must send a clear message to extremists: 'We will not negotiate with you. We will do everything in our power to stop you and bring you to justice.'"
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

I hate to say that Mr. Somers is soon to be histoire.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Al-Qaeda affiliate threatens to kill American hostage
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 03:31:51 am »
[[ I hate to say that Mr. Somers is soon to be histoire. ]]

Sadly true.

But it makes one wonder:
Why in heaven's name (pun intended) do these "journalists", etc., go over there?

Do they think they're "immune", or something?

When you walk into the lions' den, do you not expect to be confronted by lions, hungry for your flesh?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:32:53 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:09:46 am »
[[ I hate to say that Mr. Somers is soon to be histoire. ]]

Sadly true.

But it makes one wonder:
Why in heaven's name (pun intended) do these "journalists", etc., go over there?

Do they think they're "immune", or something?

When you walk into the lions' den, do you not expect to be confronted by lions, hungry for your flesh?

The journalists are doing their job sometimes at great personal risk. It's important that people around the world understand what is going on over there, and they are risking their lives to bring us that information. We should not be placing blame on the journalists.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:49:27 pm »
I guess the concept of "death with dignity" is foreign.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
Again with these failed secret missions. I doubt they even happen at this point.