Author Topic: Reid signals support for House Republicans' funding plan  (Read 558 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Reid signals support for House Republicans' funding plan
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:32 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/225735-reid-signals-support-for-gop-funding-plan

By Alexander Bolton - 12/02/14 02:58 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Tuesday signaled that he will accept a House Republican plan to pass an omnibus spending bill that funds the Department of Homeland Security for only a few months.

Reid, who has made passing an omnibus spending bill one of his top priorities of the lame-duck session, said he would consider House passage of the “cromnibus” a policy win.

“That would be a big accomplishment if we could get a bill over here that would fund all the appropriations subcommittees except for one,” Reid told reporters. “I think it's kind of unfortunate that they're talking about not doing Homeland Security but that’s the way it is.”

Reid added that he would reserve ultimate judgment on the legislation, until he reviewed whatever policy riders House Republicans add to the omnibus.

The legislation would fund all of government through the end of fiscal 2015 with the exception of the Homeland Security, which would be funded only a few months.

This sets up a fight early next year over defunding President Obama’s executive order protecting as many as 5 million illegal immigrants from deportation.

Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) said earlier Tuesday that she prefers a spending bill that funds all of government through Sept. 30 but pledged to follow Reid’s lead.

“I’m disappointed. I would have preferred a 12-bill solution, but that’s going to be decided at the leadership-White House level. I will do what my leadership wants,” she said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Reid signals support for House Republicans' funding plan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:29:34 am »
Looks like the dems don't want Obama to shut the government down, in a manner it could be said to be their fault.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:55:29 am »
Don't t'row me in dat dere briar patch.

Methinks there is something far nastier than some acquiescence by Reid to reality.  What partisan advantage does he plan to get out of this?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:16 am »
They're trying to wash the stank of Obama off of them. 

:peeonobama:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 12:04:56 pm »
Don't t'row me in dat dere briar patch.

Methinks there is something far nastier than some acquiescence by Reid to reality.  What partisan advantage does he plan to get out of this?
Two possibilities:

1. He knows it's a bad deal and plans to blame Republicans for it when it fails, or…

2. Now that he's out of power, he can't be the blustering, stonewalling jackwagon he was when he had the gavel.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »
Two possibilities:

1. He knows it's a bad deal and plans to blame Republicans for it when it fails, or…

2. Now that he's out of power, he can't be the blustering, stonewalling jackwagon he was when he had the gavel.

So, a large bunch of people who could possibly become a significant political constituency get a short-lived taste of legal status from Obama and the Democrats. That taste is taken from them by the Republicans as soon as they take control of Congress, and Obama is "forced" to sign the legislation that takes from them that legal status because "elections matter".

Who do you think the voters most closely associated with those who lost that legal status would blame for the loss? Who would they vote for (en masse) come next election?

Reid does NOTHING that's not self-serving.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »
The GOP should fund Homeland and deny EPA, Health and Education.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.