Author Topic: Giuliani: Blacks Have Responsibility to Curb Huge Murder Rate  (Read 829 times)

rangerrebew

Giuliani: Blacks Have Responsibility to Curb Huge Murder Rate
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:14:13 pm »

Giuliani: Blacks Have Responsibility to Curb Huge Murder Rate

Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:24 AM

By: Greg Richter

The U.S. Justice Department won't have any better chance getting an indictment against former Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson than did the St. Louis County prosecutor's office, says former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

Attorney General Eric Holder's office is conducting two civil rights investigations into the shooting death of black 18-year-old suspect Michael Brown Jr. — one against the white police officer himself and one against the Ferguson Police Department.

But Giuliani, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," said the Justice Department would be working with no evidence that the Missouri grand jury didn't have, so there is no need to expect a different result. Giuliani is also a former federal prosecutor.

"This is the kind of case had it not … had the racial overtones and the national publicity where a prosecutor would have come to the conclusion that there's not enough evidence to present to the grand jury," Giuliani said. "It's an impossible case to present to a grand jury."

Giuliani has come under fire for saying last week on ""Meet the Press"  that people should also be talking about the problem of black-on-black crime. He didn't back down on Sunday, but admitted that blacks do have a legitimate complaint that they are unfairly targeted by police and that there individual incidents that are unjustified.

"There is more interaction and more unfair interaction among police officers, white and black, in the black community than in the white community. And I think some of that responsibility is on the police department and on police departments to train their officers better and to make their police departments much more diversified," Giuliani said Sunday. "But I think just as much, if not more, responsibility is on the black community to reduce the reason why the police officers are assigned in such large numbers to the black community."

Giuliani then returned to the crime statistics he cited last week on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"It’s because blacks commit murder eight times more per capita than any other group in our society. And when I assigned police officers with Commissioner Bratton and Commissioner Safir, we did it based on statistics. We didn’t do it based on race. If there were a lot of murders in a community, we put a lot of police officers there," he said.

"If I had put all my police officers on Park Avenue, and none in Harlem, thousands and thousands more blacks would have been killed during the eight years I was mayor."

He said he now favors body cameras on police officers, but is sticking by his support of the "broken windows" and "stop-and-frisk" policies that he says reduce crime. Stop-and-frisk can be abused, he admitted, and should only be used when there is probable cause and not simply targeting people based on race.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/giuliani-feds-indictment-ferguson/2014/11/30/id/610124/?Dkt_nbr=EC70-1&nmx_source=American_Spectator&nmx_medium=widget&nmx_content=61&nmx_campaign=widgetphase2
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:15:03 pm by rangerrebew »