Author Topic: SYRIAN ELECTRONIC ARMY WARNING!  (Read 409 times)

Offline olde north church

SYRIAN ELECTRONIC ARMY WARNING!
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:48:49 pm »
I can't recall which posting it was but the link went to a UK paper.  When clicked, a message came up with message:
"This Computer/This Site Has Been Hacked By Syrian Electronic Army" (or similiar).  Has this happened to anybody else today?  11/27/14?
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:02:53 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: SYRIAN ELECTRONIC ARMY WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/syrian-electronic-army-claims-hack-of-news-sites-including-cbc-1.2851962

The Syrian Electronic Army is claiming responsibility for the hacking of multiple news websites, including CBC News.

CBCNews.ca was affected Thursday by the hacking.

New York Times hacked, Syrian Electronic Army takes credit
    See a sample of the SEA's social media postings

Some users trying to access the CBC website reported seeing a pop-up message reading: "You've been hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA)."
Gigya platform used to hack other sites

It appears the hack targeted a network used by many news organizations and businesses.

A tweet from an account appearing to belong to the Syrian Electronic Army suggested the attacks were meant to coincide with the U.S. Thanksgiving on Thursday.

The group claimed to have used the domain Gigya.com, a company that offers businesses a customer identity management platform, to hack into other sites via GoDaddy, its domain registrar. Gigya is "trusted by more than 700 leading brands," according to its website.

The hacker or hackers redirected sites to the Syrian Electronic Army image that users saw.

Gigya's operations team released a statement Thursday morning saying that it identified an issue with its domain registrar at 6:45 a.m. ET. The breach "resulted in the redirect of the Gigya.com domain for a subset of users," the company said.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink