Author Topic: Dear RG3: You Are Not an NFL QB  (Read 1008 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Dear RG3: You Are Not an NFL QB
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:12 pm »
Dear RG3: You Are Not an NFL QB
by Patrick Cannon

Dearest Robert,

You are a legend only in your own mind. I tried to support you for as long as I could. I hoped against logic that you would learn from your mistakes but now I realize that is impossible. You don’t want to learn because learning would mean admitting fault.

You are failing in all aspects of the quarterback position: physically, mentally, socially and morally.

Physically, you have terrible technique. Your coaches must vomit when they watch tape. Your footwork looks more like an audition tape for Footloose than a 3rd year NFL QB.

If your first read is covered there is a 90% chance that the play will be a debacle. How is that possible? You are an intelligent person. You have freakish athletic ability. You practice hard. How come you look so confused? Do you watch other quarterbacks? Emulate any of them!!!

Sure your offensive line stinks but you create the majority of sacks. You hold the ball too long. You run away from the pocket rather than stepping up into it. You rarely release the ball quickly and when you do it is inaccurate. You step into passes like there is a pool full of alligators in front of you.

You thrive only in the chaos you create. The few dynamic plays you have made since 2012 have come on plays where you scramble. Sometimes the scrambling is necessary but for the most part it appears you fear pockets. I’m sending you cargo shorts for Christmas.

You throw a beautiful deep ball…it sails to no one.

In 2012 you ran a gimmick offense that limited your decision making. You were a one-year flash-in-the-pan. You are the QB version of the Wildcat.

Mentally, you are regressing. The first play of the game yesterday summarizes everything that is wrong with you. Rather than throwing to one of your first two options, who were clearly open, you scramble, shuffle, and throw an inaccurate pass which was then bobbled and intercepted. You then threw your hands up in the air like a baby. You think you did no wrong and Niles Paul should have caught the pass. You set the tone for all subsequent failures.

The entire league knows that your body is as fragile as a Faberge egg but clearly the fragility had spread to your cerebral cortex.

Your decisions will eventually get one of your receivers killed.

How does someone with such an ego display zero confidence on the football field? I know you trust yourself so it must be that you don’t trust your teammates. You are the only QB in the league who is incapable of throwing a ball to a WR before he completes his route. You MUST see him open. This will never work. If you complete a back-shoulder throw I will die from shock.

Sure there are 53 men on the roster who need to play better, but it starts with you. You make everyone look worse. You turned Pierre Garcon into Patrick Swayze yesterday, Ghost.

Nonetheless, somehow your speeches make it sounds like you truly believe if RG3 had eleven RG3s on the team the RG3s would be unstoppable.

Socially, you should just plead the 5th in every postgame speech from here on out. Yesterday wasn’t the first time the ignorant words you uttered after a game made me throw a shoe, but it will be the last. I am done caring about you. The words that irked me the most were “Great quarterbacks, the Peytons, the Aaron Rodgers, those guys don’t play well if their guys don’t play well. They don’t.” HOW DARE YOU PUT YOURSELF IN THE COMPANY OF GREATNESS?!? You have accomplished NOTHING. You crown yourself!

No matter how many times your dad tells you “you are great” I assure you he is wrong. You’re 24, bringing your dad to show and tell concluded at age 7.

You are cheesy. The tweets, the postgame quotes, the forced pregame speeches, none of them inspire anyone. You aren’t getting anyone fired up with your hashtags and horse manure. Your passion seems phony to me through a television screen and I see nothing from your teammates to prove that assumption wrong.

You are a punch line. Griffin’ing has gone from a victory pose with your hands raised in pride to pointing fingers, distributing blame and alienating yourself from society. If you don’t wake up soon you’ll be on an island with a volleyball named Wilson in no time.

Morally, you are not a leader. No one will ever follow you. Your clichés and bible verses inspire laughter and eye rolling. Leaders set the tone through their actions, not their words.

You never hold yourself truly accountable. Every self-criticism comes with an asterisk. “We all need to get better.” “We won’t turn on each other.” I’d love to chalk those words up to the ignorance of youth but you have had three years to mature. By now you should have a better understanding of human interaction and the media.

You shill every product known to man. We can’t escape you. You torture us in our dreams.

You have a personal logo. Who is more pathetic, you or Adidas? You may very well change the way sponsorship contracts are written. What the hell are they going to slap that logo on when you are out of the league in four years?

In closing, it was unfair of us to expect you to be our savior. Our desperation set you up for this epic fall from grace. No one man can save this franchise.

Without a doubt ownership is the biggest problem. If you don’t agree with that now, Robert, you haven’t been here long enough. Maybe we can commiserate over a beer when you are 40 and catch up with the rest of us. I am sorry you came to this terrible place. Fortunately, you can leave. We can’t.

Kindest regards,

Distraught Redskins Fan

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/dear-rg3-you-are-not-an-nfl-qb/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:50:28 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Dear RG3: You Are Not an NFL QB
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »
Wow, that is one brutal tirade!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:07 pm »
Wow, that is one brutal tirade!

Wish I had written it.  Every word is true.

"RG three sticks".......stinks.  He's uncoachable.

He's the reason Mike Shanahan was fired.  Shanahan is a genius who, with his son, adapted the offense back in 2012 to take advantage of Griffin's athletic ability.

But like all professional sports teams....the league catches up with you.  In one off-season, they had him all figured out.  Put pressure on him and he becomes a sandlot pick-up game QB.

I'd bet good money that if they outright released him today, not ONE team would pick him up.  Not one.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:00 pm »
Buffalo's probably desperate enough to give him a try

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »
A quote from Rodney Harrison....just prior to Sunday evening's NFL game.

"They've surrounded [Griffin] with great weapons. I just think it comes down to RGIII. I don't think he can read coverages...He's been in the league three years. If you need six more games to determine if he's going to be your future quarterback, you need a new coach and a new scouting department. I've seen enough. I don't think he fits in the system. I think you have to get rid of him.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:49:41 pm »
Gruden vs. Griffin

Washington coach Jay Gruden did not hold back Monday in a public critique of quarterback Robert Griffin III’s recent play. It portends deeper problems in the nation’s capital and could foreshadow the end of RG3’s run as the franchise QB

By
Peter King

One word for Washington coach Jay Gruden’s public critique of quarterback Robert Griffin III late Monday: startling.

Startling because a head coach rarely, if ever, says his quarterback has “fundamental flaws,” with a performance “not even being close to being good enough” to expectations.

Startling because Gruden, in his first year as coach, has been completely supportive of Griffin to this point, with no indication that he was unhappy with anything in his quarterback’s repertoire.

Startling because Gruden had to know he would create a firestorm by being so publicly critical of Griffin—and because it clearly will show that the coach has a major problem with his most important player.

There is something more at play here. There has to be. It’s an underlying dissatisfaction with Griffin by his coach, not based on one game or one post-game press conference in which Griffin was liberal with his criticism of himself and of the team as a whole. Nothing Griffin said—including the quote, “If you want to look at the good teams in this league and the great quarterbacks, the Peytons and the Aaron Rodgers, those guys don’t play well if their guys don’t play well”—was really pointedly critical of his teammates. A little self-unaware, in bringing up Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, as if Griffin belonged in the conversation with them, which he does not, yet. That’s why Gruden’s strong and pointed criticism of Griffin is more than just a reaction to how the quarterback played on Sunday and what the quarterback said on Sunday.

I think Gruden doesn’t like Griffin’s preparation or his commitment. That’s what I took from Gruden’s comments. And I think what he said casts doubt on Griffin’s long-term future with the team. I haven’t thought that until Monday afternoon. When Washington owner Dan Snyder fired Mike Shanahan after last season, I saw that as a vote for Griffin over Shanahan. I was sure the organization still considered the player picked second overall in 2012 the long-term quarterback for Washington.

What Ails RG3

Is it the ankle? The knee? Or an Achilles’ heel: his inability to operate from the pocket? The MMQB’s film-study guru says physical setbacks can’t explain away Robert Griffin III’s poor grasp of quarterbacking basics.

FULL STORY
Now I’m dubious about Griffin’s future in Washington. It is more than just being 4-14 in his last 18 starts, or not being able to stay on the field because of injuries. I wonder, and I believe the team does too, if the faith in Griffin to be the franchise cornerstone is wise.

As Pro Football Talk reported Sunday, the team has until May 3, 2015, to decide whether to exercise Griffin’s 2016 option year. If exercised, he will be paid an estimated $18.4 million in 2016. So obviously, for the organization to commit to paying Griffin a huge number like that in 2016—two years away—the end of this season is vitally important. If Gruden, Snyder and Washington GM Bruce Allen are going to commit to Griffin next May, the next six games are crucial. The next six games won’t matter much to a team playing out the string. But despite fans chanting for backup Colt McCoy to replace Griffin, that’s not happening. The next six games are too important to the long-term future of the franchise. Washington has to make the call on Griffin, and the last six games matter greatly.

If you missed it Monday, here’s what Gruden said about Griffin, speaking about his performance in the 27-7 loss to Tampa Bay, and about Griffin the incomplete player:

“Robert had some fundamental flaws. His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three, on a couple occasions, and that can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up and stepped into pressure. He read the wrong side of the field a couple times. So from his basic performance just critiquing Robert, it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position.

“Just take your drops the right way and throw the five-yard stick route when you’re supposed to and do the best you can. Sometimes he worries a little bit too much. We’ve just got to try to get him better. His frame of mind is in the right place. It just doesn’t come out the right way sometimes, but he wants to get better. He knows he has a long way to go to get better. If he stays on the right track as far as work ethic and listening and preparing, then he’ll get better.

“It’s his job to worry about his position, his footwork, his fundamentals, his reads, his progressions, his job at the quarterback position. It’s my job to worry about everybody else. And, yes, everybody else needs to improve. There’s no question about it. But it’s not his place. His place is to talk about himself, and he knows that. He just elaborated a little bit too much.”

The MMQB, 24/7
Keep up with the latest from Peter King and The MMQB team.

Now that Gruden has Griffin’s attention—and those around the team feel Griffin pays way too much attention to opinions in the outside world, as though he has rabbit ears—the coach should use this time to reinforce that Griffin needs to become a better student of the game. He needs to study the game more, study other quarterbacks more, and work as hard in the classroom as he does in the weight room and on his body.

All players have different personalities. Quarterbacks too. Peyton Manning is relentlessly meticulous and picky. Brett Favre was flippant and often gave off an I-couldn’t-care-less vibe. But with the great quarterbacks, whatever their attitudes during practice and on the sideline, they are commanders on the field. They are rarely surprised by coverages, and they dictate to the defense far more than the defense dictates to them. Too often Griffin seems to either be surprised by what the defense presents or reacts poorly to changes in the secondary or the pass-rush.

Griffin has to get better, and he has to get better under the gun, and it has to start in two tough venues: at San Francisco on Sunday, and at Indianapolis the week after that. In Indy, he can look across the field and see the man picked before him in 2012, Andrew Luck, who is miles ahead of Griffin three years into their careers. Some of that is due to Griffin’s two injuries—the torn knee ligaments suffered at the end of the 2012 season and the dislocated ankle that sidelined him for six games this year. But some is due to Luck being far advanced in other parts of the game. Luck is rarely fooled on the field. He’s a tireless student of the game. He is the unquestioned future of the franchise in Indianapolis. Griffin is teetering in Washington. His coach has fired a warning shot. Now let’s see if Griffin responds like a franchise player.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/robert-griffin-iii-jay-gruden-washington-problems/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »

If I were a Redskin lineman, I'd get all five guys to feign blocking and allow the defense free access to 'destroy' him.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »
......"4-14 in his last 18 starts,

will be paid an estimated $18.4 million in 2016. "

Dreadlocks, team name in dispute, players getting charged with various forms of abuse, and I don't regret dropping interest in this sport at all.

Now known as thugball.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:37:03 pm »
Physically, you have terrible technique. Your coaches must vomit when they watch tape. Your footwork looks more like an audition tape for Footloose than a 3rd year NFL QB.
Somewhere, Tim Tebow is stifling a chuckle.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 11:40:13 pm »
Somewhere, Tim Tebow is stifling a chuckle.

Tebow?

Try Mike and Kyle Shanahan.   :laugh:

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:27 pm »
Tis a shame Cousins turned out to be such a loser. We all had such high hopes...
:::sigh:::
As to RG3, he's one of the few people that can get seriously injured tripping over his own feet.
As Cooley put, the man is "brittle".

I'm not going to pile on other than to say everything this guys said is accurate..IMO.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:54:31 pm »
Tebow?

Try Mike and Kyle Shanahan.   :laugh:
heh, yeah.
They're still cashing the checks.

Offline evadR

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
Last night the wife and I were in the car listening to an RG3 interview.

He basically said he had to accept some blame but he needed support from the rest of the team. Everyone needed to pull his share of the weight.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We both just shook our heads.

It's the first time he actually said things that pissed me off.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:42 am »
Tis a shame Cousins turned out to be such a loser. We all had such high hopes...
:::sigh:::
As to RG3, he's one of the few people that can get seriously injured tripping over his own feet.
As Cooley put, the man is "brittle".

I'm not going to pile on other than to say everything this guys said is accurate..IMO.

It's said...but I believe worth noting.   just my opinion of course.

Washington...the region...seems to have a problem with anointing "franchise", Superstardom on players BEFORE they earn it on the field.

Okay...RGIII was Rookie of the Year in 2012.  But that was because the league had never seen that brand of offensive scheme.

By the time he healed from the horrific Seahawks playoff game, the league had caught up and handled him with no problem.

Bryce Harper, the baseball phenom also was crowned "king"...starring in every marketing commercial, local merchant spots.  His face was on everywhere.

Then one day, Andy Petitt showed the baseball world that he couldn't hit the off-speed breaking ball on the outer half.  The rest is history.

Same thing with the Washington Capitals with Alexander Ovechkin.  And the player can't...or won't play defense.

They create these "Monsters"...and leave behind a mess for everybody else to clean up.

Offline evadR

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 12:11:22 am »
We have been soooo crappy for sooooooooo long that everyone is over eager to jump on the bandwagon, even the sports prognosticators.

As you said, if they haven't earned it they should be regarded as "on trail". $nyder spent so much money on Rg that he's going to play him no matter what.
I personally do not think he will get better and we are looking at another RG 3 and 13 season.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:37 am »
......"4-14 in his last 18 starts,

will be paid an estimated $18.4 million in 2016. "

Dreadlocks, team name in dispute, players getting charged with various forms of abuse, and I don't regret dropping interest in this sport at all.

Now known as thugball.

You got them mixed up with the NBA.

The NFL is molesterball.

Offline evadR