Author Topic: Smug Filled Rooms - Clarice Feldman  (Read 757 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Smug Filled Rooms - Clarice Feldman
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:28 am »
November 16, 2014
Smug Filled Rooms
By Clarice Feldman

As the story broke bit by bit over the internet -- one angry citizen’s (Rich Weinstein) research established that MIT Professor Jonathan Gruber, a major architect and salesman for ObamaCare, boasted in 6 separate videos that he lied and that voters were “too stupid” to catch on -- we got to see inside what Professor Charles Lipson smartly coined “the smug filled rooms” of the Capitol.

Many observed the only “stupid” people were the Democrats who -- without a single Republican vote -- twisted parliamentary procedure to pass this into law, accepting California’s constitutional genius Nancy Pelosi’s admonition, “we have to pass the bill so you can find out what’s in it.”

The revelations could not have come at a worse time for the administration.

For one thing, the Supreme Court just granted certiorari in the King case. That case tests whether the clear language of the ObamaCare subsidies for those who sign up under state-run plans was improperly extended by IRS to signers on the federal website, a bit of administration legerdemain to keep ObamaCare viable after 37 states refused to set up state insurance exchanges.

You see, Gruber’s arrogance revealed that the scheme was not only contrary to the clear language of the statute, but as well to the intent of its authors. He has gravely undercut the administration’s argument to look beyond the language to sustain their expansion of it. While countless Democrats -- including especially Nancy Pelosi  -- who credited and relied on Gruber’s work now act as if they never heard of him, they can’t so easily dispose of him and his role in the creation of Obamacare .

James Taranto spotted this dilemma:

In March, a group of left-leaning “economics scholars,” including Gruber himself, filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case of King v. Sebelius, then under consideration by the Fourth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. (Last week the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal of the case, now styled King v. Burwell.) The March brief appealed to Gruber’s authority:

‘Economist and MIT Professor Jonathan Gruber has developed a sophisticated economic model that allows for a robust prediction of outcomes in the health care system, depending on various policy changes. The Gruber Microsimulation Model (“GMSIM”) utilizes two primary sets of data: (1) Fixed information on individuals, derived from 2011 Current Population Survey data and updated to 2013 and later years; and (2) varying information on policy parameters, which inform the changes in price and eligibility of various forms of insurance. . . . The GMSIM has been cited as one of the leading options for modeling health insurance reforms such as the ACA [the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act].’

A three-judge panel of the Fourth Circuit sided with the administration in King. On the same day, a panel of the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled for the plaintiffs in Halbig v. Burwell, another case raising the same legal question -- to wit, whether the Internal Revenue Service exceeded its statutory authority in making tax subsidies available to purchasers of medical insurance policies on the federally run exchange.

The plaintiffs rest their argument on the plain language of the statute, which limits subsidies to taxpayers “enrolled in [policies] through an Exchange established by the State.” The administration’s defenders, including Gruber, have argued that the plain-language interpretation is counter to congressional intent and that the limitation is a mere “typo.” That claim is nonsensical, as we observed Monday. Even if it was a drafting error, it was far more serious than a mere typo.

But as we noted in July, Gruber himself had asserted on multiple occasions that it was Congress’s intention to limit the subsidies to state-established exchanges. In that view, Congress’s intent was to make it so attractive to set up an exchange that no state would refuse.

Last week, the day before Election Day, 18 Democratic state attorneys general, led by Virginia’s Mark Herring, filed a brief with the D.C. Circuit, arguing that the full court should reverse the panel’s decision in Halbig. According to them, Gruber is no authority at all:

‘The best that Appellants and their amici come up with are YouTube videos of Professor Jonathan Gruber, a private citizen at non-governmental meetings in January 2012, years after the ACA was enacted. But Appellants fail to demonstrate that Professor Gruber’s message was disseminated to the State officials responsible for determining whether to build their own Exchange. In any event, Gruber later corrected himself, calling his earlier statements a mistake.’

Back in July, Gruber rather hilariously characterized his earlier comments as a “speak-o.” Presto, change-o, typo, speak-o!

The Democratic state attorneys, who distanced themselves from Gruber in their brief, are not alone. As each new video appears more administration backers claim they never heard of him, he’s “a private citizen” and such. 

But you cannot pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars, cite him in your speeches and on your websites and in your briefs as an authority and then credibly pretend you don't know him .

Read the rest here: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/11/smug_filled_rooms.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Smug Filled Rooms - Clarice Feldman
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »
Nothing better than Clarice with your coffee on a Sunday morning! 

Unabashed bump! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
Many observed the only “stupid” people were the Democrats who -- without a single Republican vote -- twisted parliamentary procedure to pass this into law, accepting California’s constitutional genius Nancy Pelosi’s admonition, “we have to pass the bill so you can find out what’s in it.”

I like this.  However, it was far more insidious in my view.  It was the lockstep march of an ideological bent and a "damn the consequences" action by the Democrats.  Even across the divide there are intelligent people, at least in the defined or classical sense.  Not all 60 Senators were "stupid".  No, they knowingly harmed the country and willfully voted for the most destructive bill in our lifetime. 

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
I like this.  However, it was far more insidious in my view.  It was the lockstep march of an ideological bent and a "damn the consequences" action by the Democrats.  Even across the divide there are intelligent people, at least in the defined or classical sense.  Not all 60 Senators were "stupid". No, they knowingly harmed the country and willfully voted for the most destructive bill in our lifetime.

And there's 'only' 31 of them remaining.

You'd think that at least one-third of them would vote to convict in an Impeachment scenario.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
I like this.  However, it was far more insidious in my view.  It was the lockstep march of an ideological bent and a "damn the consequences" action by the Democrats.  Even across the divide there are intelligent people, at least in the defined or classical sense.  Not all 60 Senators were "stupid".  No, they knowingly harmed the country and willfully voted for the most destructive bill in our lifetime.

That they did and it has, and will continue to,  cost them dearly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:53:03 pm »

You'd think that at least one-third of them would vote to convict in an Impeachment scenario.

Although the media assures us that it can't happen, I'm not at all sure that a presidential veto of a bill repealing every line of the monster could not be overridden at this point!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
Although the media assures us that it can't happen, I'm not at all sure that a presidential veto of a bill repealing every line of the monster could not be overridden at this point!

I must confess to pondering that thought as well, Bigun.

The Republicans have the platform.  They need to systematically "inform" the public - and I don't mean with hallway snippets from Senators or Congress.  Real and incessantly informative messaging.  The people will respond and some Democrats will feel the heat. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:24 pm »

Here's a question.  How many of the 31 would vote to convict?  They were, after all, complicit. 
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »
I must confess to pondering that thought as well, Bigun.

The Republicans have the platform.  They need to systematically "inform" the public - and I don't mean with hallway snippets from Senators or Congress.  Real and incessantly informative messaging.  The people will respond and some Democrats will feel the heat.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Will they choose to put their careers on the line AGAIN for this looser who will be gone in two years in any case?  I think many of them will not!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 02:08:48 pm »
Here's a question.  How many of the 31 would vote to convict?  They were, after all, complicit.

You awakened me to the deed of over-riding an Obama veto to repeal...when I was wrongfully carrying over thoughts from the Impeachment thread(s).

Thanks.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »
With the right information and messaging, THIS is the central point that must be driven home about the Democrats:

They knowingly harmed the country and willfully voted for the most destructive bill in our lifetime. 
John Steinbeck

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »
With the right information and messaging, THIS is the central point that must be driven home about the Democrats:

They knowingly harmed the country and willfully voted for the most destructive bill in our lifetime.

I could not agree any more.

However, the task of effectively getting that message out to the American public is no less difficult today than it was prior to the most recent election.

That is not to say it is impossible; success will depend upon the use of strong communicators employing calm, reasonable and still, stern language.

But even if the GOP is able to overcome its recent internal communicative challenges, there exists the same external impediment to successful Republican messaging: an implacably hostile news media.

The most recent example can be discerned by reviewing the reporting of NBC, ABC, NPR, PBS, AP, UPI, Reuters, the LA Times, (and until yesterday) the New York Times (buried, on page A12). If their listeners and readers had ever heard of Jonathan Gruber before, it would most likely be owing to his academic/governmental reputation or perhaps, as the result of a family connection.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »

I don't believe that all "knowingly harmed the country".

The party leaders, of course.  But not all the rank and file members did.  They simply were being "good democrats", IMO.

That's why I think there are sufficient cracks in the dam which maybe can give them the courage to act unilaterally and vote to override a veto.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »

The party leaders, of course.  But not all the rank and file members did.  They simply were being "good democrats", IMO.

That's why I think there are sufficient cracks in the dam which maybe can give them the courage to act unilaterally and vote to override a veto.

And, at least in my view, simply being a "good" democrat harms the country! I can't think of a single instance when that wasn't the case in my lifetime!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »

I'll disagree with you only to this extent: many rank-and-file Democrats went along with their leadership despite knowing or having reason to know that the health care plan had no hope of working as advertised.

Among these Democrats, some privately hoped for its failure, in order to usher in an era of single-payer health care. Others may have voted for the plan with some trepidation, believing that future fixes and adjustments might be made to correct its structural defects. And yes, some Democrats do appear ignorant or dismissive of even the most fundamental economic precepts. 

But I cannot think that there are very many Democrats remaining in Congress who did not honestly see the peril in passing, via parliamentary bill-substitution trickery, a vastly complex, hugely transformative, multi-billion-dollar social program crafted by non-governmental agency policy wonks, without any input or votes from the opposite party.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »
I'll disagree with you only to this extent: many rank-and-file Democrats went along with their leadership despite knowing or having reason to know that the health care plan had no hope of working as advertised.

Among these Democrats, some privately hoped for its failure, in order to usher in an era of single-payer health care. Others may have voted for the plan with some trepidation, believing that future fixes and adjustments might be made to correct its structural defects. And yes, some Democrats do appear ignorant or dismissive of even the most fundamental economic precepts. 

But I cannot think that there are very many Democrats remaining in Congress who did not honestly see the peril in passing, via parliamentary bill-substitution trickery, a vastly complex, hugely transformative, multi-billion-dollar social program crafted by non-governmental agency policy wonks, without any input or votes from the opposite party.

My theory, for whatever it's worth, is that it was designed to fail and the people who passed it, being the types they are, would then have no recourse but to "fix" it with a single payer system!

The idea that they might not be around for the failure never even entered their minds!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:15:17 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 03:19:29 pm »

I believe more than a few Democrats voted lockstep because they feared what could happen to their political careers and lives at the hands of Jarrett, Reid and Pelosi.

More so, today. 

I believe the Democratic rank and file are frightened to "go along to get along".

Events such as the recent mid-term massacre and Gruber videos coming to light may give them new-found courage to show their constituents they are Americans first and politicians second.

At least I hope so.