Author Topic: GOP Split on Using Shutdown to Stop Obama Amnesty  (Read 1455 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Split on Using Shutdown to Stop Obama Amnesty
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:59 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=607330

Newsmax
GOP Split on Using Shutdown to Stop Obama Amnesty
Friday, November 14, 2014 07:41 AM

By: Melanie Batley

House Republicans appear to be facing their first test of unity as they grapple with how to respond to President Barack Obama's anticipated executive action on immigration, which could come as early as next week.

According to The Washington Post, the leadership is intent on pursing an approach that would denounce the president's actions but deal with its enactment in the months ahead by making incremental changes to the law.

A lawsuit on executive authority, similar to one that was launched last summer, is also among the options being considered.

Conservative lawmakers, however, have their own plan: to attach an immigration clause in the spending bill that would prevent the president from acting alone, putting Congress on a crash course with the White House that would likely trigger a government shutdown.

"It's a big test for the leadership. We cannot listen to the loudest, shrillest voices in our party," Pennsylvania Rep. Charlie Dent, told the Post. "At some point we have to fund the government, and we should not fight to attach some demand.

"I don't want to stand by and watch as our party gets driven into a ditch," Dent said.

The leadership has made it clear that a shutdown is not an acceptable option.

"Government shutdowns aren't a way to solve problems," Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole, a Boehner ally, told the Post. "It would only inflame the situation. What I say is, 'Did it stop Obamacare? No, it did not.' That's unfortunate, but it's not the weapon we should use."

Incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has also been firm that a shutdown is not among the options to deal with Obama's executive order.

"We'll not be shutting the government down or threatening to default on the national debt," he told reporters, according to the Post.

Republicans are nonetheless ratcheting up their threats that Obama's decision to act will set up an adversarial relationship with Congress so soon after both sides had pledged to move forward constructively following the shake-up from the midterm elections.

"We're going to fight the president tooth and nail if he continues down this path," Boehner told reporters Thursday, according to the Post. "This is the wrong way to govern. This is exactly what the American people said on Election Day they didn't want."

The New York Times reported Thursday that Obama may announce his planned action as soon as next week and that the proposal may grant amnesty to up to 5 million illegal immigrants.

Officials said it would allow many parents of children who are U.S. citizens or legal residents to obtain work documents and stay in the United States.

The Post reported that final decisions about the details of the plan have not been made, but that the administration may also instruct agencies to focus deportations on criminals and repeat immigration offenders. It would also take steps to beef up security along the southern U.S. border and likely expand visa programs for high-skilled workers.

Meanwhile, Democrats and immigration rights supporters are pushing for Obama to extend amnesty to as many migrants as possible. In recent days, they have been rallying behind the president's decision to take action, saying it is not out of step with other presidents who have acted unilaterally on major issues.

"Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, and there was much to be said about it at the time. But he led with executive action," Texas Rep. Al Green told the Post.

"When Truman signed the order desegregating the military, there was much being said. But it desegregated the military."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: GOP Split on Using Shutdown to Stop Obama Amnesty
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »
Can't use the power of the purse, eh?  Well, then, shutting up and sitting in the back must be OK.  Screw the country that elected you, it's more important that you're liked by your pals in the media, right?

If these "republicans" have any ideas better than sternly worded letters I'd love to hear about them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »
If shutting down the government is what it takes to stop Obama then that is EXACTLY what they should do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:38 pm »
Can't use the power of the purse, eh?  Well, then, shutting up and sitting in the back must be OK.  Screw the country that elected you, it's more important that you're liked by your pals in the media, right?

If these "republicans" have any ideas better than sternly worded letters I'd love to hear about them.

Sternly worded letters.....CHECK!
Reaching across the aisle....CHECK!
Working together to make new laws, regulations & taxes....CHECK!
Gov't shutdowns and impeachment off the table....CHECK!
Selling out the American people....CHECK!
Fight the far right wing of your own party harder than you fight the other party....CHECK!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:50:14 pm »
Sternly worded letters.....CHECK!
Reaching across the aisle....CHECK!
Working together to make new laws, regulations & taxes....CHECK!
Gov't shutdowns and impeachment off the table....CHECK!
Selling out the American people....CHECK!
Fight the far right wing of your own party harder than you fight the other party....CHECK!

Not wanting to be a wet blanket on others' enthusiam about the 2014 midterms, I pretty much:  :nometalk: around here.

But I can't help but be reminded of those old words of wisdom that say pretty much that the people will always get the government that they ultimately deserve.

None of what you said above should be a surprise to anyone, it is the track record; it is pretty much delusional at this point to expect anything different.  That old clever definition of insanity also comes to mind: expecting a different result from repeating the same behavior over and over.

Back to  :nometalk: for me!!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »
Not wanting to be a wet blanket on others' enthusiam about the 2014 midterms, I pretty much:  :nometalk: around here.

But I can't help but be reminded of those old words of wisdom that say pretty much that the people will always get the government that they ultimately deserve.

None of what you said above should be a surprise to anyone, it is the track record; it is pretty much delusional at this point to expect anything different.  That old clever definition of insanity also comes to mind: expecting a different result from repeating the same behavior over and over.

Back to  :nometalk: for me!!

I don't see any reason to tape your mouth.  I agree with you, and hope you speak up more.   :amen:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:32 pm »
Yep, the GOP is split, they don't know whether to poop or wind their watch.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »
Yep, the GOP is split, they don't know whether to poop or wind their watch.

That's why we always see them pooping on their watches....
I will NOT comply.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 07:14:08 pm »
It is true that many of us don't have much faith in the GOP, considering they are most likely to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  However, the election results were a bit of a surprising uplift for those of us - sooooooo - I'm going to continue to pray that God put these guys in office NOW for a reason - in spite of themselves.  We can't let up on our prayers now - we need to double down on them. 

Miracles can happen.   :0001:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 07:19:43 pm »
I fully expect Boehner and McConnell to find a way to turn this into a sh*t sandwich, but it's part of expecting the worst and praying for the best, Alice.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »
I fully expect Boehner and McConnell to find a way to turn this into a sh*t sandwich, but it's part of expecting the worst and praying for the best, Alice.

I find myself being more hopeful!

Don't know why but I do.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:56:38 pm »
I don't see any reason to tape your mouth.  I agree with you, and hope you speak up more.   :amen:

I tend to keep my mouth shut on things like this Cyber because any posting/reading here pretty much knows my opinion on these matters.  For me to keep posting the same things over and over pretty much makes me function like a broken record.

For whatever reason a lot of people have "hope" for the next two years, more power to them!!

No reason for me to rain on anyone's parade.  I will just sit back and watch how things play out.  As I often say, I really hope that I am proven to be completely wrong on this.  Most of us prefer to be wrong & happy as opposed to being right & miserable.

But as I said, I go on the track records; I pay attention to what people do, not what they say.  So, I will not only be very happy to be proven wrong about things, but will also be delightfully surprised!!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »
I think it's a good idea to project a split in public.  Poopshoe does what he wants anyway.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »
As long as whatever they do WORKS. No making statements, no drawing attention, no raising awareness, no drawn out media theater, no political stands or any of that other symbolic 60's  hyperbole hippie crap.

If it doesn't give a tactical or strategic leverage leading to an advantage and yielding real results, then don't waste the time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:04:51 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »
As long as whatever they do WORKS. No making statements, no drawing attention, no raising awareness, no drawn out media theater, no political stands or any of that other symbolic 60's  hyperbole hippie crap.

If it doesn't give a tactical or strategic leverage leading to an advantage and yielding real results, then don't waste the time.

Yeah.  "Raising awareness" is bullshit on a spoon.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 08:21:09 pm »
I tend to keep my mouth shut on things like this Cyber because any posting/reading here pretty much knows my opinion on these matters.  For me to keep posting the same things over and over pretty much makes me function like a broken record.

For whatever reason a lot of people have "hope" for the next two years, more power to them!!

No reason for me to rain on anyone's parade.  I will just sit back and watch how things play out.  As I often say, I really hope that I am proven to be completely wrong on this.  Most of us prefer to be wrong & happy as opposed to being right & miserable.

But as I said, I go on the track records; I pay attention to what people do, not what they say.  So, I will not only be very happy to be proven wrong about things, but will also be delightfully surprised!!

Well, I'm still a nOOb here, so it's fresh to me.  But not that fresh, because I agree with you.  I remember well how Gingrich and Dole squandered what they were given in 1994, and I have no reason beyond hope to believe this will end up any different.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 08:21:48 pm »
I find myself being more hopeful!

Don't know why but I do.

It's the power of prayer, my friend.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »
Yeah.  "Raising awareness" is bullshit on a spoon.

So's "closure."  Give me a wholesale break.
I will NOT comply.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 08:25:23 pm »

Pray for the best, plan for the worst. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »
So we are going to sit around and spin on our thumbs while BO gives amnesty to 5 million and then we will call him names.  Great logic.  That way the GOP does not look like they believe in the rule of law and the dems get credit... it's a win win, lose....

As long as you don't stand for anything, nobody can be against you...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 08:58:36 pm »

That's been the name of the game since politics was born.  Nobody ever wants to take a stand.  It's especially bad when you know the press will jump on you no matter what you do, including refusing to take a stand.  That's where Republicans are today.  They're gun-shy.

This has to get considerably worse before it starts to get better.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 10:07:06 pm »

As long as it's backed by action and not lip service, then I'm fine with taking a stand, but I have no use for 60's era poseur protest, street theater, media drama politics.

If the GOP can game something out that will put some butthurt on Obama for going down a certain road, then great, but just posturing with no teeth isn't going to get it.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 11:57:24 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 04:29:16 am »
katzenjammer wrote above:
[[ I tend to keep my mouth shut on things like this Cyber because any posting/reading here pretty much knows my opinion on these matters.  For me to keep posting the same things over and over pretty much makes me function like a broken record. ]]

Well, take it from the original broken record hisself:
Keep on posting!

So... they won't force the "executive amnesty issue" by cutting off funding. We should have seen that coming.

Just what in tarnation's name -are- they going to do?

I'll tell you what the "new Republican majority" is gonna do:
Make all kinds of speeches how this subverts the law and the Constitution, and then..................do................nothing.

I'm going to make another prediction:
Obama is going to grant an executive amnesty and get away with it, scot-free.
BUT...
The -real- result of his doing so -- and the direct consequence of the Republicans' inability to respond with "the Constitutional solution" -- is going to result in MORE "executive orders" in the next two years doing as much or even more damage to the fundamental fabric of the nation.

Because now Obama and Jarrett understand that nothing can or will be done to stop them.
Let me repeat for emphasis: NOTHING.

Oh, this won't happen, you say.
The Republicans will rise to the occassion, you reply.
Sure.
Jes' like they be doin' now, eh?

OK, once more for the record, from "the broken record":