Author Topic: Obamacare's Foundation of Lies....By Ron Fournier  (Read 807 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obamacare's Foundation of Lies....By Ron Fournier
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:00:28 pm »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-house/obamacare-s-foundation-of-lies-20141112

Obamacare's Foundation of Lies
There is only one kind of lie, it's apolitical, and it cripples the best of intentions.
By Ron Fournier

November 12, 2014 A lie is apolitical, or at least it should be. If there is one thing that unites clear-headed Americans, it's a belief that our leaders must be transparent and honest.

And yet, there seem to be two types of lies in our political discourse: Those that hurt "my party" and "my policies"; and those that don't. We condemn the former and forgive the latter—cheapening the bond of trust that enables a society to progress.

This truism came to mind when I read a Washington Post story headlined, "Who Is Jonathon Gruber?" It was an important and workmanlike report on the Obamacare adviser who bragged about the political advantages of deceiving voters, whom Gruber called stupid.

"Those comments have struck a nerve on the right," wrote Jose A. DelReal (emphasis added), "with some of the law's critics pointing to Gruber's comments as evidence that the administration intentionally deceived the American public on the costs of the programs."

My first reaction was, "No! No! Not just on the right!" I strongly support bipartisan efforts to expand the availability of health coverage to the working poor, and bending the cost curve that threatens federal budgets for years to come. While I think President Obama and congressional Democrats helped contribute to the 2009 standoff over what became the Affordable Care Act, I've openly rooted for Obamacare's success. I've denounced the knee-jerk opposition from the GOP, a party that once embraced key elements of Obamacare. My ideology is amorphous; I am not "on the right."

All of that, and yet: Gruber's remarks struck a nerve with me.

Appearing on an academic panel a year ago, this key Obamacare adviser argued that the law never would have passed if the administration had been honest about the fact that the so-called penalty for noncompliance with the mandate was actually a tax.

"And, basically, call it 'the stupidity of the American voter,' or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical to getting the thing to pass," Gruber said.

He called you stupid. He admitted that the White House lied to you. Its officials lied to all of us—Republicans, Democrats, and independents; rich and poor; white and brown; men and women.

Liberals should be the angriest. Not only were they personally deceived, but the administration's dishonest approach to health care reform has helped make Obamacare unpopular while undermining the public's faith in an activist government. A double blow to progressives.

On top of that, Gruber has helped make the legal case for anti-Obamacare lawyers. In July, a year-old video surfaced in which Gruber said Washington legally withholds money from states that don't create their own health care exchanges. That could be construed by the Supreme Court to buttress the case against health insurance subsidies.

Back to The Post's story: Gruber's remarks are evidence that the administration intentionally deceived the American public on the costs of the programs. The author attributed that fact to "some of the law's critics." Not necessary; Gruber's remarks may not be dispositive, but they certainly are evidence.

Last year, The Post helped document how Obama and his advisers knowingly misled the public during his 2012 reelection campaign by repeatedly saying that, under Obamacare, people could keep their doctors and keep their health plans. To knowingly mislead is to lie.

"It's hard to know what might have happened if the truth had won the day," writes Post columnist Kathleen Parker. "But we do know that truth squandered is trust lost."

And so even I have to admit, as a supporter, that Obamacare was built and sold on a foundation of lies. No way around it, unless you're willing to accept a political system that colors its lies—the reds, the whites, and the blues.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Obamacare's Foundation of Lies....By Ron Fournier
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »
"It's hard to know what might have happened if the truth had won the day," writes Post columnist Kathleen Parker.

Poor baby... life is so 'hard'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
For six years I have been trolling this site. And for six years various posters have said, 'just wait'. The pendulum will swing back.

When I read articles like this, it makes me believe in people older, more experienced, and wiser than me. It would seem that they were right.

The truth will out. Reality will always be 'reality' no matter how the Left spins and distorts it.

I was 'all in' that Obama and his crew were going to destroy the country. I guess the shovel ready destruction of America, was not as 'shovel ready' as he thought.

That does not diminish the damage he has done to America, in possible way I can name. But, it is some comfort that he has only managed to do 20% of what he would do if he could. I have a new respect for America, that I did not have only a few years ago.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:32:42 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »

That does not diminish the damage he has done to America, in possible way I can name. But, it is some comfort that his has only managed to do 20% of what he would do if he could. I have a new respect for America, that I did not have only a few years ago.

I'm thinking that the ACA will end up being much worse than FDR's Social Security program.

We'll see if Bambi can get us into WW3 before he leaves...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
People are giving him too much power.  This country will be here long and strong after he's memory and punch line.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:55:45 pm »
I'm thinking that the ACA will end up being much worse than FDR's Social Security program.

We'll see if Bambi can get us into WW3 before he leaves...

Civil chaos and destruction of Israel seem primary motivators at this point. WWIII would be nice, from his point of view, but there is nobody he wants to attack. He seems to want to be Putin's sidekick, if Putin would have him.

He loves Muslims. And now he is doing kissy face with China. WWIII is an interesting idea except there is no one for Obama to attack. He loves Muslims, Totalitarians, and Communists. He doesn't want to attack them, he wants to be like them and be their friend.

I don't think WW3 is going to happen with Obama, but I do think he is looking for anyway at all he can find to cancel elections. That is what I worry about. He wants to be 'the King', 'the Dictator', and I don't think he has given up on that.

He is certainly promoting a 'race war', or at the least racial tension. I do not know if he thinks this will be enough. Maybe he will do some economic thing. But he thrives on 'national emergency' and 'crisis'. There is no way to tell what this guy may do in the next two years. But based on his record, we can all be sure that no matter what it is, it will be very bad for America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:03 pm »
People are giving him too much power.  This country will be here long and strong after he's memory and punch line.
Used correctly Obama is a gift to conservative interests, like Carter was.

Obama/Reid/Pelosi -- look at the harm they did. Our mission is to remedy those mistakes.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:18:21 am »
240B wrote above:
[[ WWIII is an interesting idea except there is no one for Obama to attack. ]]

He seems to be doing very well attacking America!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:33:34 pm »
WWIII is an interesting idea except there is no one for Obama to attack.

Russia would work.

Whatever happened to that MH-17 'investigation' anyway?

Couldn't blame it on the Russkies or the separatists?  Who is left?