Author Topic: Disabled Sandy Victims Told to Give Back Their “Gift From Obama”  (Read 487 times)

rangerrebew

- FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -

Disabled Sandy Victims Told to Give Back Their “Gift From Obama”

Posted By Daniel Greenfield On November 11, 2014 @ 10:36 am In The Point | 9 Comments

Beware big government bearing gifts.

Obama slimed his way for a second disastrous term by exploiting Hurricane Sandy and making it looked like he cared, even though the actual response was a whirlwind of incompetence. He hugged Sandy victims and then ignored them. He posed for photos with the equally cynical Chris Christie.

Meanwhile FEMA was less about helping people than running what looked suspiciously like an election campaign.

“Everyone asked, ‘Do we have to pay this back later on? Is it a loan?’ They said, ‘No. It’s a gift from Obama,’ ” he said.

Like all gifts from Obama, this one turned out to be a bit of a Trojan horse.

The disabled, elderly and mostly poor residents of an assisted-living center in Queens spent four miserable months in shelters after Hurricane Sandy, and now they’re getting hammered again — by the federal government.

The residents of Belle Harbor Manor in Rockaway Park recently got notices from the Federal Emergency Management Agency saying they were being retroactively declared ineligible for aid funds they received two years ago in the storm’s aftermath.

The problem, the letters said, was that the money, the letters said, was supposed to have been spent on temporary housing, but there was no need for it because the residents were put in state-funded emergency shelters.

FEMA gave resident Robert Rosenberg, 61, until Nov. 15 to send a refund check for $2,486 or file an appeal.

“We’re on a fixed income. I don’t have that kind of money!” said Rosenberg, who suffers from a spinal disability and other chronic health woes.

“If I wasn’t eligible, then why give it to me in the first place? They knew we were living in an adult home. They knew our shelter was being paid for by the state. It’s not like we lied on the application.”

Because bureaucracies have a mission to hand out X amount of cash, and in this case apparently illegally electioneer. But then the other arm decided to take the money back because it now has a mission to fight fraud, even though it largely committed the fraud.

That isn’t even Obama. This is how government bureaucracies work, which is why they shouldn’t have any more power than they absolutely need to.

The state then moved the residents, many of whom suffer from mild mental illnesses, to a halfway house on the grounds of a partly-abandoned psychiatric hospital in Queens, where they bunked on cots and were barred from having visitors in their rooms.
 FEMA spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said the agency was required by law to recoup improper payments, but he did not directly address the residents’ situation.

“FEMA remains committed to working with applicants and ensuring they have an understanding of the options available to resolve their debt, which includes making a payment, filling an appeal, requesting a compromise and establishing a payment plan,” he said.

I’m guessing that there isn’t going to be any money because elderly mentally ill disabled people living in a group hope aren’t going to be writing any big checks any time soon.

But the bureaucrats will have a metric of fraud they exposed and pursued and received judgements for. And then after spending a small fortune uselessly pursuing this, they’ll hand out the next “gift from Obama” and the cycle will repeat all over again.

That’s just how government works.

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/disabled-sandy-victims-told-to-give-back-their-gift-from-obama/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Disabled Sandy Victims Told to Give Back Their “Gift From Obama”
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »
Damn right this is how government works! 

This is what they do to my mother (in last stage Alzheimers) EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

Because she is in a nursing home (very expensive) and because my father spent all of their life savings on paying for her care until the money ran out and all he has left is his house - out of necessity - we applied for my mother to receive Medicaid to pay for her nursing home expenses. 

It took two years to get her approved, in the meantime my father had to liquidate every asset (other than his house and car, which is exempt) to continue to pay for her care.  The last six months he couldn't pay anything, but the nursing home let her stay there until we got a final verdict on her Medicaid application.  Finally - they approved her Medicaid.  We breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God we would not have to worry about her care.

The next year, on the anniversary of her getting benefits, I get a letter from them saying I had to bring all of these documents in for review.  Had to get statements on all of their life insurance and assets - ALL OVER AGAIN - to see if they would approve her for another year!  She gets $600/mo in SS - that is it!  I provided the documents and then I get a letter saying they had denied her benefits and we retroactively owed them for the last four months they had paid!

To make a long story short - I jumped through hoops to get documentation you wouldn't believe to get her approved again - which they finally did.  Whew!

This year, on her benefits anniversary  - the same thing happened again.  I'm jumping through the hoops again - and then they tell me that they had accidentally sent out a bunch of letters of denial to a bunch of people and - nevermind!   :thud:

I fully expect they will do it again next year. 

That's government for you.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:09:09 pm »
FEMA gave resident Robert Rosenberg, 61, until Nov. 15 to send a refund check for $2,486 or file an appeal.

“We’re on a fixed income. I don’t have that kind of money!” said Rosenberg, who suffers from a spinal disability and other chronic health woes.

“If I wasn’t eligible, then why give it to me in the first place? They knew we were living in an adult home. They knew our shelter was being paid for by the state. It’s not like we lied on the application.”

Who'd you vote for Bob?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:36:21 pm »
Who'd you vote for Bob?

Post of the day!   :smokin: