Author Topic: Tea Party challenger tries to unseat Tenn. GOP chairman  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Tea Party challenger tries to unseat Tenn. GOP chairman
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:46:36 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/223778-tea-party-challenger-tries-to-unseat-tenn-gop-chairman

Tennessee state Rep. Joe Carr (R), who unsuccessfully challenged Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) in the GOP primary this year, is again making waves in the Volunteer State by challenging another Republican incumbent.

On Tuesday, Carr announced that he’ll try to unseat Tennessee Republican Party Chairman, Chris Devaney, in the state party’s Dec. 6 election.

Carr told The Hill that his better-than-expected showing in the primary provoked members of the State Executive Committee, who elect the chairman, to push him to challenge Devaney.

In the primary election, Alexander took 50 percent to Carr’s 41 percent, but the conservative challenger won a number of counties outright — including the incumbent’s home county — and picked up the endorsement of conservative icons Laura Ingraham and Sarah Palin.

Still, Alexander coasted to reelection, crushing his Democratic opponent 62 percent to 32 percent in the general, even as Carr declined to endorse him.

Carr said that despite the GOP stranglehold on power in Tennessee’s House and Senate, that many in the party are frustrated by growing divisions between conservatives in the state and elected Republican officials.

“I want to help bring the Republican Party back together by ensuring that the State Executive Committee is not just a rubber stamp for a few but actually fulfills its obligation as the governing body of the Republican Party,” Carr said in a release.

Devaney said he is absolutely seeking reelection to a third term and seemed puzzled by Carr’s challenge, ticking off a list of successes the party has had in Tennessee under his leadership.

“We’ve been focused on is winning elections, raising money and building grassroots at local levels…we’ve had first, majorities in the General Assembly, then supermajorities in the General Assembly, flipped the Congressional delegation, elected more local Republicans than we’ve ever had…we’ve put the party on firm financial footing and raised historic amounts of money,” he said.

“I’m not sure why [Carr’s] running other than for self-promotion and selfish reasons,” the GOP chairman jabbed. 

Devaney said he already had enough hard commitments from executive committee members to secure reelection, and a Republican source with knowledge of the process confirmed that to The Hill. Devaney also dismissed the notion that there was a divide between conservatives and elected Republican officials in the state.

“Carr said he’s running to unify the party, but quite frankly we had historic election here again,” Devaney said. “We’re one of only three states to increase our supermajority, Lamar [Alexander] won 62 percent of vote and lost only one county, and [Gov. Bill] Haslam won every county. We’ve won more local races than we’ve ever won and we’re as unified as we’ve ever been.”

“Mr. Carr is actually the guy being divisive in trying to create issues where there are none,” he continued. “The fact that he would run for U.S. Senate, lose, and then did not endorse the Republican nominee - that’s something that’s divisive.”

More at link...

I was kind of hoping, after the elections, the Tea Party might start going after rats.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Tea Party challenger tries to unseat Tenn. GOP chairman
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:03:07 am »
"Still, Alexander coasted to reelection, crushing his Democratic opponent 62 percent to 32 percent in the general, even as Carr declined to endorse him."

Didn't endorse Alexander, so to hell with him. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:34 am »
Agreed.  Even Ted Cruz was a team player in the elections.  Carr deserves nothing but scorn.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:18:59 am »
Did Sarah Palin endorse anybody but Joni Ernst in the midterms?   She was notably absent in the run-up; all I heard about from her was the brawl her family was involved in in Alaska.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:56 am »
Once-Ler wrote above:
[[ I was kind of hoping, after the elections, the Tea Party might start going after rats. ]]

It would make much more sense for them to "go after" those who as of late have been promulgating the most attacks against them.

That would be the GOP-e.

Go, Joe!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:33:14 pm »
Did Sarah Palin endorse anybody but Joni Ernst in the midterms?   She was notably absent in the run-up; all I heard about from her was the brawl her family was involved in in Alaska.
Yes, she's responsible for the Louisiana election not being decided yet because she decided to throw her endorsement to a third party candidate instead of Bill Cassidy.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »
Yes, she's responsible for the Louisiana election not being decided yet because she decided to throw her endorsement to a third party candidate instead of Bill Cassidy.

No she isn't! Not at all! There was ALWAYS going to be a runoff in Louisiana regardless of any Palin endorsements.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »
Agreed.  Even Ted Cruz was a team player in the elections.  Carr deserves nothing but scorn.

Yeah but that was AFTER Ted Cruz, according to you, shut down the government!  An act which YOU said would bring about an electoral disaster! 

Didn't quite turn out that way did it Sink?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:38:31 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/223778-tea-party-challenger-tries-to-unseat-tenn-gop-chairman

More at link...

I was kind of hoping, after the elections, the Tea Party might start going after rats.

Tell McConnell and McCain to stop shooting at conservatives and we'll talk.  McCain has a lot more vitriol for conservatives than he ever had for Democrats, certainly spends more money campaigning against them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 04:40:52 pm »
Tell McConnell and McCain to stop shooting at conservatives and we'll talk.  McCain has a lot more vitriol for conservatives than he ever had for Democrats, certainly spends more money campaigning against them.

Hear here!!!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »
Hear here!!!  :beer:

You keep me going, Bigun.  I think there are posters who already have me on their Iggy List.

:beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »
You keep me going, Bigun.  I think there are posters who already have me on their Iggy List.

:beer:

You're right and they're wrong!  Hang in there!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:21:31 pm »
You're right and they're wrong!  Hang in there!

Well, they certainly aren't going to engage me if they can't hear me.  But, it makes me wonder about long-term viability of my points if there are hardly any left to hear them.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:56:52 pm »
No she isn't! Not at all! There was ALWAYS going to be a runoff in Louisiana regardless of any Palin endorsements.

There's no proof of that. But Palin sticking her nose in there assured one.  Thankfully her influence is waning.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
Yeah but that was AFTER Ted Cruz, according to you, shut down the government!  An act which YOU said would bring about an electoral disaster! 

Didn't quite turn out that way did it Sink?

I never said that. I said he (and by extension, Republicans) would be blamed for the shutdown. Which they were.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »
I never said that. I said he (and by extension, Republicans) would be blamed for the shutdown. Which they were.

OK Sink! I guess we are now down to figuring out what the meaning of "blamed" is! 

Good Lord!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »
Well, they certainly aren't going to engage me if they can't hear me.  But, it makes me wonder about long-term viability of my points if there are hardly any left to hear them.

They ARE hearing them! They just don't want to engage you on them because they know they will LOOSE!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:18:48 am »

McCain campaigned for dozens of GOP CONSERVATIVES.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/azdc/2014/10/18/mccain-campaigns-south-anti-amnesty-republicans-senate/17465265/
U.S. Sen. John McCain spent most of last week campaigning in the South for Republican U.S. Senate candidates who oppose "amnesty" for undocumented immigrants.

McCain, R-Ariz., who helped write the bipartisan immigration-reform legislation that passed the Senate last year, stumped in Louisiana for U.S. Rep. Bill Cassidy; in Georgia for business executive David Perdue; and in North Carolina for state House Speaker Thom Tillis.

All three of those GOP hopefuls in the competitive races are on the record against McCain's bill.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 02:20:03 am »
They ARE hearing them! They just don't want to engage you on them because they know they will LOOSE!

lose.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 03:26:26 am »
McCain campaigned for dozens of GOP CONSERVATIVES.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/azdc/2014/10/18/mccain-campaigns-south-anti-amnesty-republicans-senate/17465265/

I was referring to how he spent his own 2008 campaign loot, on a dirty Primary defense against a conservative.

As for the story in the link, he campaigned for three guys who hate his bill.  OK.  Good for all of them, maybe McCain had a change of heart.  He did say he wants to run again in '16.  I don't believe him, and won't be voting for him.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 03:44:07 am »
OK Sink! I guess we are now down to figuring out what the meaning of "blamed" is! 

Good Lord!

No we are not. The GOP was blamed for the shutdown by the American public. Every poll showed it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:41 am »
No we are not. The GOP was blamed for the shutdown by the American public. Every poll showed it.

And yet they overwhelmingly voted for them! Gave them control of the senate in fact!  Maybe they need to get blamed for a lot more stuff!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:42 am »
And yet they overwhelmingly voted for them! Gave them control of the senate in fact!  Maybe they need to get blamed for a lot more stuff!

Yes. But had it not been for the disastrous rollout of the Obamacare website, you can bet the Dems would have used the shutdown more.

There will be no more shutdowns. Cruz has to find another way to muscle his way into the news.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 04:07:55 am »
Yes. But had it not been for the disastrous rollout of the Obamacare website, you can bet the Dems would have used the shutdown more.

There will be no more shutdowns. Cruz has to find another way to muscle his way into the news.

Uh Huh! Sure Sink! Whatever you say!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 04:31:11 am »
Take the real possibility of a shutdown off the table and the power of the purse inevitably goes with it.
I will NOT comply.