Author Topic: Uploading consciousness  (Read 952 times)

Offline olde north church

Uploading consciousness
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »
Some people are discussing the possibility of uploading an individual's consciousness into a computer consciousness.  Unless there is the possibility of continued learning, what good is it?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Uploading consciousness
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:44:57 pm »
Some people are discussing the possibility of uploading an individual's consciousness into a computer consciousness.  Unless there is the possibility of continued learning, what good is it?
Somewhat related. A friend of mine is in his early 40s, and his a vinyl record fanatic, collector, etc.

So here is for me, an example of where advancing technological capability meets other factors. The beauty of an album cover. The possession of an object containing the grooves.

People continue to buy books, over digital material. I read books. I carry books around.

It is one thing to have a capability. It is another thing, to use it with wisdom, purpose, etc.

Besides, if somebody could download my brain from the cloud, I doubt many would be interested.  Maybe just me, for a cerebral selfie. me me me me me.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »
If we successfully transferred actual consciousness from a human to a machine I would no longer label myself an agnostic. Successfully doing this would mean that consciousness does indeed transcend our mortal body.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:35:35 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:24:31 am »
If we successfully transferred actual consciousness from a human to a machine I would no longer label myself an agnostic. Successfully doing this would mean that consciousness does indeed transcend our mortal body.

Why?  Music can be easily transferred from one medium to another, but that shouldn't relieve you of your agnosticism.  It also doesn't demonstrate that consciousness isn't just an epiphenomenon of the material body.  I would think that the ability to transfer consciousness from wetware to hardware would, if anything, confirm the purely material nature of consciousness.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:25:28 am by Oceander »