Author Topic: Harry Reid to run for minority leader  (Read 3256 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Harry Reid to run for minority leader
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/01/do-nothing-congress-house-passed-more-than-350-bills-that-sit-on-harry-reids-desk-says-congresswoman/

Here is a link to a Blaze article that discusses the nature of the bills, how many, and the voting patterns that got them there.  Many of them passed unanimously, so they went through the house lickety split.  The rules won't be the same next time, if there is one. I am not going to try to make sense of it, all I can say is there is no way the same set of bills will get to McConnell's desk.

I don't want the "new and improved" Senate to change any 'rules'  that Dirty Harry  put in place....until either Obama drops dead or finishes his term...whichever comes first.

Let these SOB's feel what its been like the past few years.

First thing I'd do is REPEAL Obamacare in its entirety.  By the same tactics it was passed.

I'll even call the locksmith for them. :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 11:48:41 am »
Reports indicate Ted Cruz may challenge McConnell for the Speakership.
In that old boys' club, that would be political suicide. We all remember the shutdown: more Republicans were against it than for it. Now, if there had been a few primaries that went differently, I'd have said go right ahead with that, but the primaries were a disaster for the conservative base.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:36 am »
I don't want the "new and improved" Senate to change any 'rules'  that Dirty Harry  put in place....until either Obama drops dead or finishes his term...whichever comes first.

First thing I'd do is REPEAL Obamacare in its entirety.  By the same tactics it was passed.

I think first move for the GOP Senate should be the first time Reid pulls for a filibuster, McConnell "reinterprets the rules."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »

I only had a simple point:  The 350 or so bills Reid choked off can't be considered under a new Senate because they expire at the end of the year.  That's it.  I was not making any conjecture on how to get them back, or if it's even desirable to do so. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »
I only had a simple point:  The 350 or so bills Reid choked off can't be considered under a new Senate because they expire at the end of the year.  That's it.  I was not making any conjecture on how to get them back, or if it's even desirable to do so.

True - they can't be considered. Doesn't mean the Speaker elect can't get some mileage out of them with the less informed voters.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:28 pm »
True - they can't be considered. Doesn't mean the Speaker elect can't get some mileage out of them with the less informed voters.

I can agree with that, with a caveat:  If the bills are bad for the country, then I don't want them considered.  I don't know enough about the specifics of the bills.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »
In that old boys' club, that would be political suicide. We all remember the shutdown: more Republicans were against it than for it. Now, if there had been a few primaries that went differently, I'd have said go right ahead with that, but the primaries were a disaster for the conservative base.

Jim, I remember everyone lamenting what a disaster the government shutdown would be for republicans come the midterm. But, those radicals in congress, Mike Lee and Ted Cruz, shut the government down anyway (at least, that's how the media mythology goes).

One year later Republicans cleaned up. Turns out the shutdown had zero impact on the elections.

Just something to consider.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 02:39:31 pm »
Jim, I remember everyone lamenting what a disaster the government shutdown would be for republicans come the midterm. But, those radicals in congress, Mike Lee and Ted Cruz, shut the government down anyway (at least, that's how the media mythology goes).

One year later Republicans cleaned up. Turns out the shutdown had zero impact on the elections.

Just something to consider.

Excellent point!   :beer:

I do however think it had an impact but it sure wasn't a negative one!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:40:40 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
Excellent point!   :beer:

I do however think it had an impact but it sure wasn't a negative one!

You're right. On second thought maybe it did have an impact, on the RATS and the chief RAT, Obama (the one who actually did shut the government down).

Cruz was right to stand up to Obama and the moderates were wrong.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
You're right. On second thought maybe it did have an impact, on the RATS and the chief RAT, Obama (the one who actually did shut the government down).

Absolutely! And the electorate took notice! FINALLY someone in Washington who will FIGHT!!!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »

Care to take a guess what the "lesson learned" is going to be?
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

Nope!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 05:44:20 pm »
Nope!

You don't need to guess, I already know that you know too.   :smokin:
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
You don't need to guess, I already know that you know too.   :smokin:

:beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 06:37:05 pm »

Is it that voters will punish the party that does the shutting down? Or, is it that if you are perceived to be fighting for the electorate your party will be rewarded? Help me out here, I've had only six years of post graduate study.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 07:10:40 pm »
(1) Is it that voters will punish the party that does the shutting down? (2) Or, is it that if you are perceived to be fighting for the electorate your party will be rewarded? Help me out here, I've had only six years of post graduate study.
The reality is the second, but the friends the politicians listen to on the cocktail party circuit will push the first.  The GOP typically takes the wrong lesson, in this case, "Voters will punish the party that does the shutting down."  Because of the media, as it's constituted today, that party is always the elephant.  It doesn't matter who's fault it really is.  They blamed Reagan when he was President, and they blamed Gingrich (and later Cruz) when they're in Congress.

No wonder Republicans are gun-shy about it, they always get blamed no matter what.
I will NOT comply.