Author Topic: Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:06 am »
I totally agree with you. I was just responding to the idea that the next President has to be an old white male. I don't think that has to be so; I don't have race or gender on my "disqualify" list. To me, picking the next GOP candidate for President is all about resume checking. I want executive experience - a governor is good; management in a private business is added help; experience with other countries or in the military is good; and perhaps another elected office is also a help.

I think the original sentiments were not about race as much as it was about the never-ending drama with this bunch.  I'd love to have a stretch where I don't have to get steamed and the actions of a lawless President.  It just so happens this particular one plays into every negative sterotype about his race, and we're well past burned out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 08:52:23 am »
Ben Carson is one of the most boring speakers I've ever heard. He's too low key.

Plus, I'm opposed to a non-politician cutting his political teeth on the highest office in the land.  We've had a president with no management experience. Carson has even less.

No to Ben Carson.  He's even worse than Herman Cain.

I agree, Sink!

But he could prove to be a huge public asset to the GOP as they repeal Obamacare.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 11:31:12 am »
Good point, DC. But it's if, not as, they repeal.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 11:42:16 am »
Carson's the kind of guy who would make a good Secretary of Health and Human Services or Surgeon General, positions where his narrow but deep expertise would be best suited.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline raml

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
I agree while I like Carson I want someone who has some experience and Walker or Perry have that.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
J. Myrle Fuller wrote above:
[[ But this time around, especially after a strong midterm, there are a number of quality candidates ]]

Name three. I dare ya.

You said "quality"...

[[ Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Walker. He has a strong conservative record and is a battle-tested campaigner. ]]

On that, I agree.
Scott Walker should be number one on the short list.
He has demonstrated the ability to win in "difficult political territory" (Wisconsin, a blue/purple state), has shown that he can advance a conservative agenda in extremely hostile circumstances and still come out ahead, has withstood withering pressure and attacks and come through it on top, and has literally turned his state around from deficits to surplus (and I believe he even refunded some of that back to the taxpayers).

Guys like Christie and Jeb Bush are political pipsqueaks by comparison. Rick Perry is ok (I could support him), but he's an example of a GOP governor from "friendly territory".

Scott Walker has "walked the walk" in enemy territory -- and won.

I think he could do the same on the national stage...

I wouldn't cast a vote for Christie again but if you think "Blue" Jersey is "friendly territory", you are sadly mistaken.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
I wouldn't cast a vote for Christie again but if you think "Blue" Jersey is "friendly territory", you are sadly mistaken.

It's certainly friendly to Christie.  That ought to tell you what you need to know about Christie?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »
It's certainly friendly to Christie.  That ought to tell you what you need to know about Christie?

He's basically an honest guy.  Better than the last grifter and the pickle chugger before him.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »
Also, Abraham Lincoln.  He had some political experience, but was only marginally qualified for the presidency.

Used to buy into Lincoln as a great president.

Now I think he presided over the needless slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men.

Slavery was on it's way out anyway...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »

Now I think he presided over the needless slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men.

I agree, but...

Historical greatness is always a matter of perception.  The only real difference between a "terrorist" and a "great statesman" is whether he wins.  Lincoln was a terrorist who won, plain and simple.  That gave him the right to determine what would be said in the history books.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 03:29:14 pm »

I think that "friendly territory" point was specifically for Perry, not Christie and Jeb. Read it that way and it makes more sense. Perry is impressive, but he is a successful governor of a VERY conservative state.

Christie - well, he's got his detractors. Some of his approaches are hardly conservative. Still, I'll give him credit for both being fiercely loyal and getting stuff done in a toxic environment.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:25 pm »
Lincoln was a terrorist who won, plain and simple.  That gave him the right to determine what would be said in the history books.

Well, he didn't because he was dead.  But the people who managed him certainly did.

When Obama said he was like Lincoln, he was correct.  Generally a failure but elected to the presidency to preside over a great destruction and change in America.

People just didn't understand that was what he meant...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »
Historical greatness is always a matter of perception.  The only real difference between a "terrorist" and a "great statesman" is whether he wins.  Lincoln was a terrorist who won, plain and simple.  That gave him the right to determine what would be said in the history books.

Exactly correct!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
He's basically an honest guy.  Better than the last grifter and the pickle chugger before him.

True, but the last grifter and the pickle chugger (ick) are not on the short list for the GOP Presidential contest in '16.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »
True, but the last grifter and the pickle chugger (ick) are not on the short list for the GOP Presidential contest in '16.

The media may put him on the short list for GOP candidates but I don't think it's on his RADAR.  I think he knows his limitations.  I really don't know why Dr. Carson should be considered a candidate.  He spoke the truth to a tyrant?  That's commendable but doesn't make him Presidential timber.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »
The media may put him on the short list for GOP candidates but I don't think it's on his RADAR.  I think he knows his limitations.  I really don't know why Dr. Carson should be considered a candidate.  He spoke the truth to a tyrant?  That's commendable but doesn't make him Presidential timber.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »

You are correct, but I wasn't talking about Dr. Carson.  I don't think he's either a grifter or a pickle chugger.  That was a reference to Chris Christie's predecessor.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »
You are correct, but I wasn't talking about Dr. Carson.  I don't think he's either a grifter or a pickle chugger.  That was a reference to Chris Christie's predecessor.

Nor do I believe Dr. Carson to be a grifter or pickle chugger.  I thought about something since my last comment.  What if Christie would like to follow into Haley Barbour's footsteps to become head of the RNC?  His weight wouldn't matter, would it?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Nor do I believe Dr. Carson to be a grifter or pickle chugger.  I thought about something since my last comment.  What if Christie would like to follow into Haley Barbour's footsteps to become head of the RNC?  His weight wouldn't matter, would it?

He would be a good chairman.  I'd support that.  I liked Barbour, too, because he was constantly in outreach mode.  He had a weekly cable-TV show (Rising Tide) where he discussed party affairs with panels.  As a rank-and-filer, I found the discussions enlightening.  Folks may have trouble with some of Barbour's political positions lately, but back then his gig was Party Chair, and he was good at it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline evadR

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:57 pm »
I will echo all the "I Like Ben" comments,
but,
I've got to know more about his views on critical matters, i.e. defense, terrorism.

He's obviously a member of the Black 5%, matter of fact I'd say he's in the top 1% of the 5%. But, he needs to be vetted.

I'm very, very interested.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:57 pm »

What was the alternative?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 08:53:48 pm »
What was the alternative?

Industrialization...

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:25 pm »
Industrialization...

Before or after secession?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »
Before or after secession?

Necessary or un-necessary?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
I am always in favor of a big menu.  The more choices I have the better.  -----

Except all we do is split the party, damage feelings and limp into the general election splintered.

Democrats figured out long ago not to do this and they enter the general united.  And, they tend to win.