Author Topic: Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?  (Read 6225 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:10:47 am »
http://buzzpo.com/official-dr-ben-carson-switches-parties/

Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?
by Kristine on November 5, 2014

The political landscape is abuzz with not only huge wins for Republicans in the mid-terms, but also with the fact that Ben Carson just made it official. Carson officially switched his party affiliation from Independent to Republican on Election Day, fueling speculation that he may be inching closer to a run for the White House in 2016.

The former pediatric neurosurgeon “turned conservative sensation” presented an “electrifying” speech at CPAC 2014 in March, where he posted a third place finish in a presidential straw poll among 23 contenders. Dr. Carson beat out Sen. Ted Cruz and former Governor Sarah Palin in July to win a presidential straw poll at the Western Conservative Summit in Denver.

The former director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, Dr. Benjamin Carson catapulted to national prominence when he wiped the smile off Barack Obama’s face with a sturdy speech at a National Prayer Breakfast in early 2013. Pulling no punches, Dr. Carson tackled topics from education to personal responsibility to political correctness, taxes and healthcare. Watch the full speech here. Known for his soft-spoken but passionate style and emphasis on common sense solutions, and his criticism of political correctness and government dependency, Dr. Carson’s popularity among conservatives has soared.

If Dr. Carson decides to run in 2016, can he win?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline speekinout

Re: Ben Carson Switches Parties – Will He Run?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:59 am »
I really like Dr. Carson. But for the 2016 nomination, I really want to see a good resume. A Governor (or former Governor) would be a leading candidate. Experience leading a company in the private sector is another resume enhancement. Some kind of experience dealing with other countries, either though private business or military operations is another enhancement. Carson isn't there yet.

We already know how bad it can get with an inexperienced President. We don't need to prove that an inexperienced conservative can have just as much trouble, although probably of a different sort.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be charisma vs competence again. Charisma too often wins. But surely there's a competent GOPer (be it RINO or Tea Party, I don't care) with charisma somewhere? :0001:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:55 am »
I like Ben Carson and I'd welcome him into the field.  I have always been intrigued by the idea of a man with an impeccable character and an amazing resume outside of politics would seek the presidency.  It is not likely that I'll personally support Carson, but I very much want him in the mix.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:45:36 am »
I like Ben Carson and I'd welcome him into the field.  I have always been intrigued by the idea of a man with an impeccable character and an amazing resume outside of politics would seek the presidency.  It is not likely that I'll personally support Carson, but I very much want him in the mix.

Do you want a big field of candidates for the 2016 nomination? I'm not keen on the idea of having a big field that takes weeks or months to winnow down, esp. if that takes debates and other tv spectacles to accomplish. If I wanted a big field, Carson would be a good model for what a responsible, intelligent, and, yes, minority, GOP looks like. But I'd rather use him as a reference for the candidate than as a rival to that candidate.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:47:48 am »
In a weak field, an outsider candidate like Carson would be a welcome sign. (Hey, I supported Herman Cain last time around.)

But this time around, especially after a strong midterm, there are a number of quality candidates, many of which are well-acquainted with the Washington machine and won't be chewed up and spit out like a cheap piece of gum. A guy like Carson would only serve to split the vote and sap enthusiasm away from other candidates, clearing the field for someone like Jeb.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Walker. He has a strong conservative record and is a battle-tested campaigner.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:52 am »
Do you want a big field of candidates for the 2016 nomination? I'm not keen on the idea of having a big field that takes weeks or months to winnow down, esp. if that takes debates and other tv spectacles to accomplish. If I wanted a big field, Carson would be a good model for what a responsible, intelligent, and, yes, minority, GOP looks like. But I'd rather use him as a reference for the candidate than as a rival to that candidate.

I am always in favor of a big menu.  The more choices I have the better.  I only regret that by the time the primaries reach me in Pennsylvania there will be but one choice, regardless of how many there are in the beginning.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:42 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ I have always been intrigued by the idea of a man with an impeccable character and an amazing resume outside of politics would seek the presidency. ]]

The perfect example of your statement above:
Ulysses S. Grant.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:44 am »
J. Myrle Fuller wrote above:
[[ But this time around, especially after a strong midterm, there are a number of quality candidates ]]

Name three. I dare ya.

You said "quality"...

[[ Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Walker. He has a strong conservative record and is a battle-tested campaigner. ]]

On that, I agree.
Scott Walker should be number one on the short list.
He has demonstrated the ability to win in "difficult political territory" (Wisconsin, a blue/purple state), has shown that he can advance a conservative agenda in extremely hostile circumstances and still come out ahead, has withstood withering pressure and attacks and come through it on top, and has literally turned his state around from deficits to surplus (and I believe he even refunded some of that back to the taxpayers).

Guys like Christie and Jeb Bush are political pipsqueaks by comparison. Rick Perry is ok (I could support him), but he's an example of a GOP governor from "friendly territory".

Scott Walker has "walked the walk" in enemy territory -- and won.

I think he could do the same on the national stage...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:00:33 am by Fishrrman »

Offline speekinout

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:59:18 am »
I am always in favor of a big menu.  The more choices I have the better.  I only regret that by the time the primaries reach me in Pennsylvania there will be but one choice, regardless of how many there are in the beginning.

The biggest problem I have with that is that a big menu fractures the support. None of the candidates get enough press and ink to develop a committed following before the election. One key function of a primary is to build support for the candidate. A race that starts with one or two candidates on the dim side and a list of 10 candidates on the GOP side will end up with mostly committed dims and mostly disappointed GOPers. Not good for GOTV operations -

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:00:52 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ I have always been intrigued by the idea of a man with an impeccable character and an amazing resume outside of politics would seek the presidency. ]]

The perfect example of your statement above:
Ulysses S. Grant.

Also, Abraham Lincoln.  He had some political experience, but was only marginally qualified for the presidency.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:01:30 am »
J. Myrle Fuller wrote above:
[[ But this time around, especially after a strong midterm, there are a number of quality candidates ]]

Name three. I dare ya.

You said "quality"...
Scott Walker, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul. Those are just off the top of my head. Three candidates, three distinct fields of strength, three different perspectives. All would be better than just about anybody that ran in 2008 or 2012.

But if you must insist, it'd be better if there were just one quality candidate, so as not to split the vote.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:03:26 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:57 am »
The biggest problem I have with that is that a big menu fractures the support. None of the candidates get enough press and ink to develop a committed following before the election. One key function of a primary is to build support for the candidate. A race that starts with one or two candidates on the dim side and a list of 10 candidates on the GOP side will end up with mostly committed dims and mostly disappointed GOPers. Not good for GOTV operations -

Let the market do what the market is supposed to do.  I don't think a fixed, closed system benefits anyone but the power brokers.  Politics is, and should be, a messy business.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:15:13 am »
At the risk of being racist (not that it has ever stopped me before), Obama has me turned off of Black candidates. I like Ben Carson and I love Allen West, but even so I need a little down time. I just want some boring American White guy for a while and then we can try the great experiment again.

As much as I like the Black candidates, Obama has put me off Black anything. Obama turned out to actually be what all the the racist steroetypes of a Black guy would be. He is a lazy, shifty, unintelligent, incompetent, liar, racist Black guy. Obama is the definition of the stereotype all the racists believe in, made true.

I'm sorry guys but I can't help it. I just want to go back to when things were normal. This next election I am voting for a confirmed, certified, White guy Amercan. I just need a break from all this 'citizen of the world' crap. No more experiments for a while for me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:18:05 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:20:11 am »
At the risk of being racist (not that it has ever stopped me before), Obama has me turned off of Black candidates. I like Ben Carson and I love Allen West, but even so I need a little down time. I just want some boring American White guy for a while and then we can try the great experiment again.

As much as I like the Black candidates, Obama has put me off Black anything. Obama turned out to actually be what all the the racist steroetypes of a Black guy would be. He is lazy, shifty, unintelligent, incompetent, liar, racist Black guy. Obama is the definition of the stereotype all the racists believe in, made true.

I'm sorry guys but I can't help it. I just want to go back to when things were normal. This next election I am voting for a confirmed, certified, White guy Amercan. I just need a break from all this 'citizen of the world' crap. No more experiments for a while for me.

How about other minorities or women? Bobby Jindal, Susana Martinez, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio….

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:48:25 am »
240B:
Thanks for post 12 above.
I couldn't have said it better!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:25 am »
While I understand 240B's sentiment, I'd like to personally get to the point that a person's race simply does not enter into my calculation on these matters.  I very much appreciated Mia Love's admonition to CNN that her being black had nothing to do with her election.  I hope Tim Brown feels the same way.

The fact of the matter is that OPapaDoc was elected BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK.  He is our first affirmative action POTUS.  I am hopeful that the GOP will award the nomination to the best person for the job, period.  There should be no bias for or against because of race.

I hope that is what we stand for.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 04:24:16 am »
Ben Carson is one of the most boring speakers I've ever heard. He's too low key.

Plus, I'm opposed to a non-politician cutting his political teeth on the highest office in the land.  We've had a president with no management experience. Carson has even less.

No to Ben Carson.  He's even worse than Herman Cain.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 04:32:35 am »
I really like Dr. Carson. But for the 2016 nomination, I really want to see a good resume. A Governor (or former Governor) would be a leading candidate. Experience leading a company in the private sector is another resume enhancement. Some kind of experience dealing with other countries, either though private business or military operations is another enhancement. Carson isn't there yet.

We already know how bad it can get with an inexperienced President. We don't need to prove that an inexperienced conservative can have just as much trouble, although probably of a different sort.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be charisma vs competence again. Charisma too often wins. But surely there's a competent GOPer (be it RINO or Tea Party, I don't care) with charisma somewhere? :0001:

Surgeons tend to have big egos. Plus, they are famously cantankerous, dominant, arrogant, hostile, impersonal, egocentric, and a poor communicator.

I'm not sure they accept council well. And a president, above all, must listen to advisers and his cabinet. Something Obama assiduously avoided.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 04:37:37 am »
How about other minorities or women? Bobby Jindal, Susana Martinez, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio….

I never was a big fan of Election by Guinness Book of World Records.  I'm not voting for anybody because they're the "first" of something.  The factors you mention just don't come into play for me.  I also don't think President is an entry-level job.  I want to see someone with executive experience in running a government.  Pediatric brain surgery is mighty impressive, but it isn't the same skill set as President.  I wouldn't want Dr. Carson driving my cab or a train, either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 04:38:34 am »
Scott Walker, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul. Those are just off the top of my head. Three candidates, three distinct fields of strength, three different perspectives. All would be better than just about anybody that ran in 2008 or 2012.

But if you must insist, it'd be better if there were just one quality candidate, so as not to split the vote.

Excuse me, but, putting aside the purity litmus test, Romney was extremely qualified for the presidency.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 04:41:54 am »
Surgeons tend to have big egos. Plus, they are famously cantankerous, dominant, arrogant, hostile, impersonal, egocentric, and a poor communicator.

I'm not sure they accept council well. And a president, above all, must listen to advisers and his cabinet. Something Obama assiduously avoided.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes - a good surgeon has to act alone and act fast. He or she doesn't have need for building consensus on most important things.

Thanks for a good point for my resume checker list when we see who the potential candidates are.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 04:44:53 am »
While I understand 240B's sentiment, I'd like to personally get to the point that a person's race simply does not enter into my calculation on these matters.  I very much appreciated Mia Love's admonition to CNN that her being black had nothing to do with her election.  I hope Tim Brown feels the same way.

The fact of the matter is that OPapaDoc was elected BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK.  He is our first affirmative action POTUS.  I am hopeful that the GOP will award the nomination to the best person for the job, period.  There should be no bias for or against because of race.

I hope that is what we stand for.

Excellent! Could not agree more.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 04:48:07 am »
I never was a big fan of Election by Guinness Book of World Records.  I'm not voting for anybody because they're the "first" of something.  The factors you mention just don't come into play for me.  I also don't think President is an entry-level job.  I want to see someone with executive experience in running a government.  Pediatric brain surgery is mighty impressive, but it isn't the same skill set as President.  I wouldn't want Dr. Carson driving my cab or a train, either.

I totally agree with you. I was just responding to the idea that the next President has to be an old white male. I don't think that has to be so; I don't have race or gender on my "disqualify" list. To me, picking the next GOP candidate for President is all about resume checking. I want executive experience - a governor is good; management in a private business is added help; experience with other countries or in the military is good; and perhaps another elected office is also a help.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 04:53:31 am »
I totally agree with you. I was just responding to the idea that the next President has to be an old white male. I don't think that has to be so; I don't have race or gender on my "disqualify" list. To me, picking the next GOP candidate for President is all about resume checking. I want executive experience - a governor is good; management in a private business is added help; experience with other countries or in the military is good; and perhaps another elected office is also a help.

You're looking for substance, not style. I like that. Obama was all hat, no cattle.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 05:02:07 am »
You're looking for substance, not style. I like that. Obama was all hat, no cattle.

Yes, and I don't think an inexperienced conservative is any better than an inexperienced liberal. There are competent GOPers available to run, and I do hope we wind up with one of those as the candidate.