Author Topic: Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2014, 12:28:42 am »
Except it isn't the Christians.

It's "Compassion & Choices".

And Jesus is the only way to heaven, not death...

So tell me Dan, how do I get to Heaven...

• without following the teachings of Christ, and
  • while I'm still alive?

Take your time.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:28 am »

• while I'm still alive?

Take your time.

Don't hold your breath Luis.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2014, 12:40:32 am »
How interesting that Jesus Christ said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me."  Nothing there about a dogma centered on death.

Maybe here: " I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly."  Hmmm, not quite. I'll keep looking.

Oh, wait, this may be it: "... (A)s the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living One among the dead? He is not here, but He has risen."

I'll have to get back to you on this ...

"... no one comes to the Father..."

"Our Father who art in Heaven..."

How do I get to Heaven to be with the Father while I'm still alive in the physical sense of the word?

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.” (John 11:25)

His life of course being the eternal life obtained after the death of the body.

The faithful will be rewarded for their faith only after they die, so death is a desired goal for those who follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

"Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God."

So, you can only get to the Father through (by following the teachings of) His Son, and the Father resides in a place where only the dead may go to.

So... Jesus basically says "follow me and I'll reward you when you die."
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:03 am »
How interesting that Jesus Christ said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me."  Nothing there about a dogma centered on death.

Maybe here: " I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly."  Hmmm, not quite. I'll keep looking.

Oh, wait, this may be it: "... (A)s the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living One among the dead? He is not here, but He has risen."

I'll have to get back to you on this ...

This thread has gotten ugly.

Thanks for telling the TRUTH, mountaineer, among the jeers and mockery......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2014, 01:14:10 am »
This thread has gotten ugly.

YES IT HAS...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:52 am »
YES IT HAS...

I wonder if the anti-Christian mockery here is for real, or if it's just a sadistic game being played.

In either case, it's disturbing......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
YES IT HAS...

Which is why I have completely avoided it to this point!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:12 am »
I wonder if the anti-Christian mockery here is for real, or if it's just a sadistic game being played.

In either case, it's disturbing......

Every time religion is discussed here it gets ugly....and people are offended...I am tired of it...and I have noticed people being ganged up on...it's gonna stop or I am going forbid any discussion on Religion..

Get back on the thread topic...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2014, 01:32:13 am »

• while I'm still alive?

Take your time.

Heck, that's easy.

$3,000. and a Salma Hayek look-a-like for the night.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2014, 01:33:20 am »
I just feel badly for a once vibrant young woman and the life that will never be.  I'm a simple man, I guess.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2014, 01:42:27 am »
Every time religion is discussed here it gets ugly....and people are offended...I am tired of it...and I have noticed people being ganged up on...it's gonna stop or I am going forbid any discussion on Religion..

That's not fair.  It works both ways, Myst.

I'm tired of deep religious types touting THEIR point-of-view and become judgmental and sanctimonious in threads that they have no business bringing religion into the discussion.

This thread was about a young women with a terribly painful terminal illness that didn't wish to face her future and instead elected...ON HER OWN, when it was her time to say goodbye to her loved ones.

Keep personal religious views to yourself.  I don't appreciate being preached to, nor lectured about it on a political forum.

We're all of a somewhat similar ilk here when it comes to politics...but yhere's a reason they say you shouldn't discuss religion or politics with strangers. 

It's not healthy and nothing good can come of it.

Just my opinion of course.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:19 am »
I just feel badly for a once vibrant young woman and the life that will never be.  I'm a simple man, I guess.

Exactly, my friend. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2014, 01:46:00 am »
As a non-contentious aside, how can one political party reconcile differences of this nature?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:01 am »
Physician assisted suicide for terminally ill patients should be legal. Obviously there should be very strict rules involved, but people like this woman should be able to get help and die painlessly and with dignity.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2014, 01:51:53 am »

Yes, absolutley.  I can not find it anywhere in my heart or my mind to judge her on any decision she has made.  Her situation was tragic and we can only hope for the best for her and her family and loved ones.  I believe the decision was hers to make.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2014, 01:54:44 am »
I believe the decision was hers to make.

I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I think ANY adult that is not obviously completely out of their mind should be allowed to make the decision to kill themselves. It might sound gruesome and amoral, but that is their life and their decision.
-Socrates

Offline olde north church

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:57 am »

On "The Five", they had a great story about a young lady who was playing basketball for some college.  She has a brain tumor and not a lot of time.  She wanted to live every minute she has left.  I think it's quite a contrast with the woman who ended her life.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2014, 01:58:04 am »
On "The Five", they had a great story about a young lady who was playing basketball for some college.  She has a brain tumor and not a lot of time.  She wanted to live every minute she has left.  I think it's quite a contrast with the woman who ended her life.

Different people have different outlooks on the situations that life puts them in. The decision should be theirs either way.
-Socrates

Offline olde north church

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2014, 02:01:10 am »

I'm tired of deep religious types touting THEIR point-of-view and become judgmental and sanctimonious in threads that they have no business bringing religion into the discussion.

This thread was about a young women with a terribly painful terminal illness that didn't wish to face her future and instead elected...ON HER OWN, when it was her time to say goodbye to her loved ones.

Keep personal religious views to yourself.  I don't appreciate being preached to, nor lectured about it on a political forum.

We're all of a somewhat similar ilk here when it comes to politics...but yhere's a reason they say you shouldn't discuss religion or politics with strangers. 

Agreed.  The whole "martyr complex" thing is way past it's bed time.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2014, 02:03:13 am »
Could not say it any better.  As truth_seeker indicated, there's a reason for the separation of church and state.  For those who believe, suffer all you want until death takes you, but for those who don't, leave their decision to die with dignity to them, their family, and their doctor.

I watched a documentary about the religious beliefs of the chief Founders, and man-o-man, was I surprised.

I have also studied the history of religion in Europe including the English Civil War period, and colonial religious history in America.

As a result of such legacies, the Diests held the day, and America was to be non-doctrinal religion-wise when it came to government. Paine, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Washington were Diests. So am I.

People pushing their narrow fundamentalist Christian religious interpretations in America today, are NOT what this country was originally based on.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2014, 02:08:23 am »

Agreed.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2014, 02:09:47 am »

I watched a documentary about the religious beliefs of the chief Founders, and man-o-man, was I surprised.

I have also studied the history of religion in Europe including the English Civil War period, and colonial religious history in America.

As a result of such legacies, the Diests held the day, and America was to be non-doctrinal religion-wise when it came to government. Paine, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Washington were Diests. So am I.

People pushing their narrow fundamentalist Christian religious interpretations in America today, are NOT what this country was originally based on.

:thumbsup:
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2014, 02:11:11 am »

"Vanity....definitely my favorite sin!"...John Milton - The Devil's Advocate

Some people are extremely aware of how they are viewed and remembered.  Brittany Maynard was an exceptionally beautiful girl.

My lady friend wouldn't think of going to put the trash out without full makeup and dressed to the nines.

IMO, people like that don't want their close friends....let alone strangers see them wasting and withering away.

I'd be willing to bet that college girl playing basketball isn't affected by vanity to such a degree.

It takes an enormous degree of courage to face death the way she did.  I'm actually in awe of it.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 02:13:50 am »
It takes an enormous degree of courage to face death the way she did.  I'm actually in awe of it.

I've never understood why people live in constant fear of death. Being afraid of something that is inevitable is just a waste of time. It's like being afraid of the sun rising; no amount of your fear and obsession will change it.
-Socrates

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 02:14:21 am »

Myst wrote:  Every time religion is discussed here it gets ugly....and people are offended...I am tired of it...and I have noticed people being ganged up on...it's gonna stop or I am going forbid any discussion on Religion..

Exactly what you wrote was our discussion for Myst to post the above.  Everything you said is true! 

We are not a Religion forum.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02