Author Topic: Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life  (Read 7377 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
Yes I also went over there to see if possibly they've changed at all.  Hardly.  Several threads, but anyone who wished Ms. Maynard peace was promptly told how evil she was, will burn in hell, crammed full of leftist ideology, etc., etc., etc.  For a while I almost thought I was on North Korean News.  To call some of those people on TOS nasty would be an insult to the word.

They either pretend that they own the rights over her life or they feel that the cancer is actually god. Neither of which is Conservative or Christian.
I'm not surprised there is not a lick of compassion there. Nothing Christ-like about their attitude. Much closer to Koran level condemnation.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »

I do think that some of the worst voices at TOS are probably trolls.

I have to politely disagree, AW.

JR can smell a troll from a far distance.  They are bonafide far Right SOCONS.

...as Jerry would say, "....not that there's anything wrong with that."   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:34 pm »

Before Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge, they were as innocent as a newborn baby.  I suppose if they'd never eaten from it, they would still be innocent pastoral creatures living an idyllic life. 

But once we gained knowledge, God said - "Okay, you have knowledge - make the best of it.  From here on out, you will survive by your hard labor and your wits.  How your life ends up - is up to you.  I'm here for you if you need me - to provide comfort, support, strength, guidance - and most importantly - forgiveness and love.  Call on me whenever you want to.  I'm listening.  I love you."

It wasn't 'knowledge' that Adam and Eve gained because Adam named all of the animals in the garden prior to the fall.  It was 'knowledge of good and evil'.  Prior to that, Adam and Eve knew only good because God had pronounced the creation and them 'very good'.  After they ate, they knew evil intimately...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:11:07 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:29 pm »
It wasn't 'knowledge' that Adam and Eve gained because Adam named all of the animals in the garden prior to the fall.  It was 'knowledge of good and evil'.  Prior to that, Adam and Eve knew only good because God had pronounced the creation and them 'very good'.  After they ate, they knew evil intimately...

I apologize sincerely for offending anybody here, but believing this is no different that believing in the Easter Bunny.

Remember....I said I was sorry.  But...COME ON, MAN! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »
I have to politely disagree, AW.

JR can smell a troll from a far distance.  They are bonafide far Right SOCONS.

...as Jerry would say, "....not that there's anything wrong with that."   :whistle:

We're the real trolls, according to JR.  Crazy, isn't it?

:troll:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »
You have totalitarians and authoritarians in every ideology, unfortunately.  They seem to be the most passionate of their respective parties - the loudest and most obnoxious.  It does hurt to be lumped in with people like that.  Doesn't hurt that the media makes the right's extremists look like kooks, while they make the left's extremists as selfless givers of themselves fighting for a cause.

I do think that some of the worst voices at TOS are probably trolls.

It's easy to be a troll at TOS.

All you have to do is sound as nasty as nearly everyone else.

My opinion on this subject is not clear.  I understand why she did what she did, but I'm still not sure she made the right decision.

And I really don't know why this whole thing had to be made so public.  At the very least, it should have been a quiet, personal decision.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 02:30:59 pm »

You're right Dan, that's what I meant by "knowledge", I should have clarified that.  Knowledge of sin.  Knowledge of evil. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »
I apologize sincerely for offending anybody here, but believing this is no different that believing in the Easter Bunny.

Remember....I said I was sorry.  But...COME ON, MAN!

No offense taken DC.  I see the Genesis story as allegorical - the garden and the snake - it's a way of telling us something in terms we can understand.  But I do believe that this story has been handed down to us from God as a means of us being able to understand HIM.  We see things with more complexity now, so the story seems like a fairy tale.  But the moral that is derived from the story is the truth. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »
I see the Genesis story as allegorical - the garden and the snake - it's a way of telling us something in terms we can understand.
It has taken a long time, but science is finally catching up to Genesis 3...

Epigenetics and Inheritance

"Epigenetic inheritance is an unconventional finding. It goes against the idea that inheritance happens only through the DNA code that passes from parent to offspring.  It means that a parent's experiences, in the form of epigenetic tags, can be passed down to future generations."

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 02:48:50 pm »
It's easy to be a troll at TOS.

All you have to do is sound as nasty as nearly everyone else.

My opinion on this subject is not clear.  I understand why she did what she did, but I'm still not sure she made the right decision.

And I really don't know why this whole thing had to be made so public.  At the very least, it should have been a quiet, personal decision.

That's the easy part.  She also suffered from "AttentionWhoreItis".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »
It has taken a long time, but science is finally catching up to Genesis 3...

Epigenetics and Inheritance

"Epigenetic inheritance is an unconventional finding. It goes against the idea that inheritance happens only through the DNA code that passes from parent to offspring.  It means that a parent's experiences, in the form of epigenetic tags, can be passed down to future generations."

That's exciting!  My father always believed in "inherited memory" as he called it.  This is a whole new field of discovery.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 02:55:22 pm »

Fifteen minutes of fame might have been on her bucket list.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »
No offense taken DC.  I see the Genesis story as allegorical - the garden and the snake - it's a way of telling us something in terms we can understand.  But I do believe that this story has been handed down to us from God as a means of us being able to understand HIM.  We see things with more complexity now, so the story seems like a fairy tale.  But the moral that is derived from the story is the truth.
Not to further digress, but I always interpreted that particular anecdote as a euphemism for them having sex.

I mean, for one, the deceiver is described as a serpent holding an apple (a phallic symbol), which Eve is seduced into consuming. One of the punishments against Eve is that she will experience painful childbirth, the obvious end result of sex.

Because writing systems didn't show up in humanity until about 5,000 years ago at the earliest, there could not have been any eyewitness accounts to the story, meaning that most of Genesis had to come from dreams and visions, which are in need of interpretation, just as prophecies have routinely been interpreted.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »
If she is in Hell—and I hope she is not—then this will have been her downfall. It is one thing for Satan to deceive a person to believe that suicide is the only way out. That is a tragedy. A true sin is to go out into the world and make it look credible, which is exactly what Maynard did. That is the work of Satan.

Of course, the media, using all those outdated pictures of her pretty smiling face from before she had cancer, went hand-in-hand with it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 03:05:28 pm »
As mentioned on my signature, I had a bleed in my brain, for all intents and purposes, a hemorrhagic stroke.  My wife and I don't discuss it much, I bring it up more often out of curiosity for what happened while I was checked out.  One of the few times my wife brought it up, it was in a discussion about death/dying.  She said how I would have died would have been good for her.  Relatively painless and unaware.  I don't remember any of it except for talking to the cat we had to put down about 6 weeks earlier, nothing more.  A couple of visits from friends when I was briefly awake.
An individual shouldn't be required to wait upon the whim of a some deity for the end of life.  THAT is cruel and unusual.  If you want to take what time you have left to write your memoirs, learn the intricacies of puppetry or spend your life savings to buy a 500 car and race it into a wall, that's your business.
How many other people diagnosed with Valerie Harper's condition are no longer with us?  1?  100?  1000?  The difference is, Valerie Harper made the choice SHE wanted.
I went to TOS to check out what the feeling was over there.  I could have gone to the primate wing and seen less dung flung.

I went as well but the very first username I saw was "Elsie" and my visits was over in a matter of seconds!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

An interesting sidelight from this discussion is that, the only reason we have the ability to see things with more complexity now, is that the God of Genesis.... the Creator..... has given us the brains and intellect, as well as creativity and curiosity, to study HIS creation, and understand it more fully.  (Science, whenever it involves truthful inquest, and not philosophy or political ideology, always coincides with Scripture).

I don't see Genesis 1 as allegory, but respect that perspective.  And I completely agree that the real story being told is the Truth.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:20 pm »
Not to further digress, but I always interpreted that particular anecdote as a euphemism for them having sex.

I mean, for one, the deceiver is described as a serpent holding an apple (a phallic symbol), which Eve is seduced into consuming. One of the punishments against Eve is that she will experience painful childbirth, the obvious end result of sex.

Because writing systems didn't show up in humanity until about 5,000 years ago at the earliest, there could not have been any eyewitness accounts to the story, meaning that most of Genesis had to come from dreams and visions, which are in need of interpretation, just as prophecies have routinely been interpreted.

Yes, when it says, "they saw they were naked", they lusted for each other and had sex.  Eating the apple was the catalyst for their eyes being opened to lust.  And maybe, the power wasn't so much in the apple itself - but in the power of God seeing that Eve disobeyed him and it was the act of disobedience that was the actual catalyst for the  expelling from the garden and out into the cold cruel world. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:01 pm »
I went as well but the very first username I saw was "Elsie" and my visits was over in a matter of seconds!

I took a peek. Just - no. Changed my password by randomly mashing keys, then logged out for good, so someone with an active account still is going to have to keep an eye out for the good ones walking the zot line. Even I have limits. Those threads went so far past them it's ridiculous.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

If I had to narrow my decision down to one poster, Elsie is the one who drove me away from TOS for the last time.

I haven't even lurked since I left there.

The place scares the living daylights out of me.    **nononono*

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 03:18:28 pm »
I took a peek. Just - no. Changed my password by randomly mashing keys, then logged out for good, so someone with an active account still is going to have to keep an eye out for the good ones walking the zot line. Even I have limits. Those threads went so far past them it's ridiculous.

And sadly, it goes back to JR.  If he didn't allow it and encourage it - it wouldn't happen.  That's the saddest thing.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 03:21:31 pm »
And sadly, it goes back to JR.  If he didn't allow it and encourage it - it wouldn't happen.  That's the saddest thing.

Sadly Alice he became an ACTIVE participant himself!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »
Sadly Alice he became an ACTIVE participant himself!

Yeah.  To the very people that made that site so good - he turned on them.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »

Actually, there are arguments for The Tablet Theory of Genesis where the Genesis tablets were written by an eye-witness and compiled by Moses.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:55:40 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 03:58:29 pm »

It's when JR stopped just 'allowing' the hatred, and began encouraging it that the whole place imploded into a sea of irrational venom.

Rational people had to flee because the owner of the forum turned on them.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »
If she is in Hell—and I hope she is not—then this will have been her downfall. It is one thing for Satan to deceive a person to believe that suicide is the only way out. That is a tragedy. A true sin is to go out into the world and make it look credible, which is exactly what Maynard did. That is the work of Satan.

Of course, the media, using all those outdated pictures of her pretty smiling face from before she had cancer, went hand-in-hand with it.

Yes, anytime you see death promoted, whether it be abortion or euthenasia, you can bet that evil is its source.  Not content to have 'physician-assisted suicides' legal in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Vermont and New Mexico; evil will not rest until euthenasia is the law of the whole land.