Author Topic: Actress receives rape threats after recording 10 hours of street harassment in New York  (Read 376 times)

Offline flowers

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Actress-receives-rape-threats-after-recording-10-hours-of-street-harassment-in-New-York/articleshow/44973634.cms

The actress who appeared in a video highlighting street harassment in New York City has received rape threats online, according to Hollaback, the organization which commissioned the short film.

The video, '10 hours of walking in NYC as a woman', was uploaded on Tuesday and has been viewed over a million times.

Shoshana B Roberts volunteered to be filmed secretly by a camera hidden in a backpack in front of her. The man carrying the backpack, Rob Bliss, came up with the idea after noticing the street harassment his girlfriend regularly faced.

Walking through the streets of the Big Apple in jeans and a crew-neck shirt, Roberts receives over 100 cat calls from various strangers she passes. Roberts does not respond to any of the men who shout at her. Many of them call "Nice", "Damn" or "Sweetie", while others hound Roberts to respond to them.
The subject of our PSA is starting to get rape threats on the comments. Can you help by reporting them? http://t.co/NMYCFd9YOm

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'll give you 10 to 1 that the rape threats only started after the video was posted on Reddit. Some of the manboys there are a bit riled up at women at the moment, thanks to the gamergate fiasco. (If you don't know what that is about, bask in your ignorance and try to maintain it.)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It took her ten whole hours of walking through one of the biggest cities in America to solicit 100 cat-calls. That's one every six minutes.

Per capita, I get more in the small town I live in, and I'm hardly Mr. Studmuffin (of course I'm a bit of a local celebrity around here so that may factor into it).

Look, I understand that sexual harassment is an issue, but there is a point where all the caterwauling is just becoming yet another attempt to emasculate and repress men. With no healthy way to express emotion, it comes out in more unhealthy and dangerous ways.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline raml

I never knew cat calls, whistles and calling out sweetie or other very tame words was harassment. I just smile and move on. To me harassment is when someone approaches you and makes a jerk of himself or someone physically touches you or propositions you to your face. For heavens sake quit getting so stupid out there or quit taking walks. Personally I think she is just making herself out to be more than she is.