Author Topic: Obama Instructs Ebola-Free Nurse To Hug Him ‘For The Cameras’  (Read 486 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Obama Instructs Ebola-Free Nurse To Hug Him ‘For The Cameras’

Posted By Chuck Ross On 10:27 AM 10/25/2014 In | No Comments

Departing from an unofficial policy that has been in place since the summer, President Barack Obama instructed Nina Pham – newly free of Ebola – to pose with him for a photo op in the Oval Office on Friday.

“Obama hugged Pham after the president said something to the effect of “Let’s give a hug for the cameras” – according to two photographers allowed into the Oval,” reported CQ Roll Call’s Steven Dennis, who was covering pool duty for the day, Mediaite reported.

“Photos show Pham with a radiant smile. Photographers say they didn’t see a kiss but said hug was a full embrace.”

Pham contracted Ebola while treating Thomas Eric Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian hospital in Dallas, Texas last month. The 26 year old was transported to a hospital in Bethesda, Md., where she made a rapid recovery before being declared virus-free on Friday.

The staged White House hug was a drastic departure from Obama’s previously-stated stance on photo ops which he laid out at a July 9 press conference held to discuss the child immigration crisis.

“This isn’t theater. This is a problem,” Obama said. “I’m not interested in photo ops; I’m interested in solving a problem.”

White House press secretary Josh Earnest declared on Friday that only pool photographers – and not print, television or editorial reporters – would be allowed to attend the Pham meeting. The announcement frustrated many reporters at the White House press conference. (RELATED: WH Press Corps Cries Foul At Censorship Of Obama Meeting With Nina Pham)

Earnest defended the decision, saying “I think in this case, we determined that the still photographers would provide the access necessary to ensure that you and the American people were informed of this event.”

[h/t Mediaite]

Follow Chuck on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/25/obama-instructs-ebola-free-nurse-to-hug-him-for-the-cameras/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama Instructs Ebola-Free Nurse To Hug Him ‘For The Cameras’
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »
Truth Revolt

Obama-Pham Hug Orchestrated For Photo Op; Press Barred From Event

President Obama, who vowed his would be the "most transparent administration in history" is going to new heights to be the least transparent administration in history.

On Friday, the White House barred reporters from attending a meeting between the president and Nina Pham, a Dallas nurse who contracted Ebola but was cured at the National Institutes of Health in the DC suburbs.

White House reporters, often cowed by the president, were not too happy -- and even pressed Obama's official flack about the decision.

"I would like to ask the White House, through you, to open the 1:30 event ... to the full complement of print, television and radio reporters who would typically cover an event like this," said Yahoo! reporter Olivier Knox.

"In this case, we’re just going to do the still photographers," Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.

"Could you explain why?  I mean, is it out of concern for her? To me, it seems like it reduces the magnitude of this event a little bit.  Nothing against our stills brethren, obviously."

"Right. I think in this case we determined that the still photographers would provide the access that was necessary to ensure that you and the American people were informed about this event."

Others also piled on. Jonathan Karl of ABC News said to Earnest, "This is an important meeting. Why ban reporters from this meeting? Why ban video cameras?  I mean, countless other events in the Oval Office under this President and other Presidents, there are reporters present, there are television cameras present.  Why does this White House decide on a meeting this important to say, no, reporters are not allowed at this event?  Why?"

MR. EARNEST: The good news is that reporters will be allowed at the event.  The photo -- your colleagues, the photojournalists will be in there to take a photograph of the President greeting her.

Q  You know what I’m saying.  There are no print reporters allowed.  There are no television reporters allowed.  There’s no editorial presence.  You’re only allowing still photographers.  Why?

MR. EARNEST:  Many of you did have the opportunity to see her deliver remarks at the NIH upon her departure from the hospital.

Q  That’s not an answer to my question.  Why was this decision made?

MR. EARNEST:  Because reporters did have the opportunity to see her speak already.  And this is an opportunity for the President to greet her at the White House.  And we did want to make sure that photographers could see her do so, but the President, nor Ms. Pham plans to make any comments today.

But it didn't end there. A foreign reporter told Earnest that "this is a worldwide story."

Q  This is a huge symbol for all of us.  I mean, American press or foreign press, to see the President welcoming here this nurse.  Yes, why, is the first question.

MR. EARNEST:  It’s certainly good news, and I do understand that there will be wire photographers that will be in the Oval Office taking this picture and that image will be beamed around the world.

Q    But it’s not a video thing.  I mean, for people in Africa at this moment, it would be quite important to see this footage of the President welcoming this woman.

MR. EARNEST:  And the good news is that they will see a photograph of the President greeting this woman in the Oval Office.  So it will be a really nice event I think.

A "really nice event."
But then the inimitable Bill Plante of CBS News hammered Earnest for the anti-transparent move, tricking the earnest young press secretary into exposing the move as purely political.
Q  You said a moment ago that the reason the President wanted to see Nurse Pham was to thank her for her service.  That being the case, wouldn't you want to have him do that in front of a television camera so that the rest of the country could see it?

MR. EARNEST:  I think in this case, in order to offer his gratitude the President wanted to do that in person with Ms. Pham, and that's what he'll do in the Oval Office.

Q   Let me ask you this.  Was there a White House TV camera in that meeting?

MR. EARNEST:  I don't know.  The meeting has taken place since I walked out here, so I don't know.

Q   If there was, would you then put that on the net?

MR. EARNEST:  If you're interested in it, we can work with you to get that.

Q  No, we're interested in knowing why, if you do, you’d make it available, bypassing us.

MR. EARNEST:  We can engage in this hypothetical discussion after the briefing and after I've determined whether or not there was a television camera in there.

Ah, the old "hypothetical" dodge.

In the end, no reporters or TV cameras were allowed into the Oval Office in what turned out to be a huggy event.

Mr. Obama and Ms. Pham embraced, but according to still photographers on the scene, his hug with the nurse was staged.

Mark Knoller, the White House correspondent for CBS News, took to Twitter with the allegation. "Still photographers said they heard Pres Obama tell Nurse Nina Pham words to the effect of: let’s give a hug for the cameras," Mr. Knoller tweeted.

Later, Knoller tweeted this: "TV networks and WH Correspondents Assn file protest with WH over 'stills only' photo op of Pres Obama and Nina Pham."

But the White House doesn't care -- and nothing will come of the protest. Instead, Obama and his minions orchestrated a photo op, shutting out the press so it could control the optics.

Same as it ever was.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 02:09:44 pm »
The White House Press Corpse have become about as pathetic as a friend I used to have. 

She carried on an affair with a man while his wife was in the hospital having a baby.  He divorced his wife soon-after (surprise) and married her.  Of course he screwed around on her and she whined about it incessantly - when she got pregnant - he left her for another woman.   :thud:

But anyway, like the press corp - she was all over him and then he dropped her and all she could do was whine about it.  She still stayed with him as long as he would have anything to do with her.  In the end, he left her like a two dollar whore. 

Don't feel sorry for those whiners.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
I have always loved what William Tecumseh Sherman said about the men in the media.  He was convinced if killed all the newspapermen in camp at night there would news from hell be breakfast.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:58 pm »
This "Ebola-Free Nurse" is as dumb as a rock.

What the hell did she expect Obama to want to see her for?

I would have said, "No thanks...not going to the White House.  I'm going home to my dog!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
Well I hope to god she is truly Ebola free..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »
He didn't care about her..just wanted a photo-op...don't people realize when they are being used..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:57:02 am »
Well I hope to god she is truly Ebola free..

Me too... (cough)...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan