Author Topic: Resignation of Japan minister over scandal seen imminent: media  (Read 349 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Resignation of Japan minister over scandal seen imminent: media
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:12:45 am »
(Reuters) - In a blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Japan's new trade and industry minister will resign as soon as Sunday over allegations that groups backing her misused political funds, Japanese media said.

Yuko Obuchi, the 40-year-old daughter of a former prime minister, plans to report on her investigation of the questionable funding on Monday and then submit her resignation to Abe, the Nikkei and Sankei newspapers said on Sunday.

But the Sankei said Abe's team was considering having Obuchi make her report to the prime minister on Sunday, not waiting for a parliamentary committee meeting on Monday.

Abe tapped Obuchi, a telegenic mother of two, less than two months ago to head the powerful Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. She was one of five women Abe chose in a cabinet reshuffle in a bid to bolster his popularity by showing his commitment to promoting women.

Regarded as a contender to become Japan's first woman prime minister, Obuchi apologized during a parliamentary grilling on Thursday over media reports of the misuse of funds, which could violate electoral and political funding laws.

"I feel that ignorance is no excuse," Obuchi said on Friday. On Saturday, she avoided saying if she would quit, telling reporters her first priority was to investigate the issue.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/19/us-japan-politics-idUSKCN0I801T20141019
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink