Author Topic: House Republican to introduce Ebola travel ban legislation  (Read 591 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Republican to introduce Ebola travel ban legislation
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:06:02 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/220980-house-republican-to-introduce-bill-to-ban-west-africa-travel

October 16, 2014, 02:06 pm
House Republican to introduce Ebola travel ban legislation
By Cristina Marcos

Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.) said Thursday that he will introduce legislation to ban travel between the U.S. and West African countries afflicted by the Ebola outbreak.

Ross plans to unveil the bill when Congress comes back in session, which is expected to be on Nov. 12, after the midterm elections.

The measure would restrict granting visas to people departing from any country where the Ebola outbreak has reached "epidemic proportions." Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea have been hardest hit by the disease.

The ban would only be lifted when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) declares that the Ebola outbreak has been contained.
The Florida Republican said that the spread of Ebola from a Liberian man who landed in Dallas to two nurses who cared for him was the last straw. The Liberian man, Thomas Eric Duncan, died from the disease.

"Now that two of our healthcare workers have contracted the virus I am putting my foot down," Ross said in a statement. "This legislation is a more serious approach to preventing Ebola from further infiltrating our homeland."

The Obama administration has implemented additional Ebola screenings at five major U.S. airports, but Ross said those screenings were not enough.

“Airport security screening is a complete smoke and mirror approach to the virus and Americans aren’t buying it," he added.

Pressure has grown on the Obama administration to consider a travel ban on the West African countries in recent days, with many lawmakers, including Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), joining those calls.

The administration, though, is opposed to a ban, saying it would make the outbreak worse by hampering the movement of medical supplies and healthcare workers to devastated countries.

Ross called on Boehner to call the House back into session to debate his bill.

"I urge my colleagues to sign onto this legislation and hope Speaker Boehner will quickly call Congress back into session to debate my legislation," Ross said.

Congress has been out of session since Sept. 19.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: House Republican to introduce Ebola travel ban legislation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
Well, someone has to do it. A Republican member of Congress from W.Va. has posted on Facebook:

Rep. Shelley Moore Capito
5 hours ago

President Obama must act immediately to temporarily ban all travel to the United States from Ebola-stricken nations in West Africa.

One month ago, the president told the nation that the odds of an Ebola outbreak in the United States were extremely low. Since that time, Thomas Eric Duncan traveled from West Africa to Texas, where he was diagnosed with Ebola and later died.

At least two health care workers who treated Mr. Duncan have been infected, and one reportedly flew on a commercial airline along with 132 other passengers just hours before she was hospitalized and diagnosed with Ebola.

I call on the president to protect the American people from this devastating disease by banning travel to the United States from West Africa for the duration of this crisis and establishing concrete protocols to stop the transmission of Ebola within our country.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
Well, someone has to do it. A Republican member of Congress from W.Va. has posted on Facebook:

Good for her!  I hope this drumbeat becomes a tsunami!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
Good for her!  I hope this drumbeat becomes a tsunami!

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien