Author Topic: Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Relic

Re: Why do so many liberals despise Christianity?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »
It is so hard to qualify these days to be a "true Christian" or "true conservative."

Few people subscribe to the full list of required beliefs and positions.

It's not that hard. The Catholic Church is steadfast anti abortion. It's not a suggestion, it's fundamental to being Catholic, you know, the folks who were hardline against contraception. Don't like that? Fine, pick a Protestant denomination that fits your belief system.

Only divisive folks get all hung up on "true" this, or "true" that. You know?

Offline Relic

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
The church itself is not being very consistent about abortion.  The bloodiest hands in the House belong to Nancy Pelosi, and she's still allowed to take Communion, last I heard.  (I am not a Catholic, so I'm on thin ice here.)  Dittos for a lot of Dems.

Well, that is another kettle of fish. The Catholic Church has enough problems. That would help explain why my brother is Catholic, and I'm Methodist.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:31 pm »
It is so hard to qualify these days to be a "true Christian" or "true conservative."

That may be true. But I think you are over-qualifying it. You are making it too complex. There are basics in everything.

If you are not in the most basic form a dinosaur bone, then you are not a dinosaur bone. It is reality that is the bitch, in this scenario.

As another poster said, "reality is what it is. it is not what you perceive it to be."
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »

I'm not quite sure how that relates to the points I made.

I don't use the words "true" preceding either Christian or Conservative.

What I was saying is that most leftist tenets are incompatible with Christian theology, and that most leftists who are Christians are unaware of that fact because they think their intention to "care" makes everything else OK.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »
Well, that is another kettle of fish. The Catholic Church has enough problems. That would help explain why my brother is Catholic, and I'm Methodist.

Interesting.  So...to your bro, you're the Anti-Christ?  (Please laugh at that.  It's supposed to be a bit of a joke.  My wife is pre-Vatican II Catholic, and I was raised a Methodist.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Relic

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »
Interesting.  So...to your bro, you're the Anti-Christ?  (Please laugh at that.  It's supposed to be a bit of a joke.  My wife is pre-Vatican II Catholic, and I was raised a Methodist.)

I take no offense. My brother is an MSNBC drone. We were once close, but now barely speak, and rarely see each other, (we live in the same town). I prefer not to talk politics, he can't help throwing barbs about how great Obama is, etc. Last time we were together, I called him on it, and well, I don't see too many more events I'll be attending with him.

It's his choice, I feel sorry for him, because he must be miserable. Someone who is constantly stirring the pot in such a fashion, can't be happy.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »
I think there is a religious justification for being pro-choice, but not pro-abortion.  Thus, I can rationalize being pro-choice, but I cannot come up with a Christian rationalization for public funding of abortion.

Clearly, abortion is sin.  But God gave humans free will in order that they may distinguish between sins and non-sins.  The nation's laws may or may not comport with God's laws.  It is not necessary, or even always desirable, that they do.  So long as I have free will, knowing God's laws I can take care of my own soul, and use my powers of persuasion to convince others of the error in their thinking.  In fact, it would be preferable if abortion were so taboo in our society that we did not have to pass laws to prevent it.  Like cannibalism.

I cannot similarly reconcile public funding of abortion.  Forcing people of conscience to pay for an abomination is completely antithetical to Christian beliefs, as far as I know them. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »
I think there is a religious justification for being pro-choice, but not pro-abortion.  Thus, I can rationalize being pro-choice, but I cannot come up with a Christian rationalization for public funding of abortion.
In fact, it would be preferable if abortion were so taboo in our society that we did not have to pass laws to prevent it.  Like cannibalism.

I suppose there could also be religious rationalization for being pro-choice cannibalism, but not pro-cannibalism.

All you would have to do is change the societal taboo... and the rest would be history...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:59:03 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 08:06:01 pm »
I take no offense. My brother is an MSNBC drone. We were once close, but now barely speak, and rarely see each other, (we live in the same town). I prefer not to talk politics, he can't help throwing barbs about how great Obama is, etc. Last time we were together, I called him on it, and well, I don't see too many more events I'll be attending with him.

It's his choice, I feel sorry for him, because he must be miserable. Someone who is constantly stirring the pot in such a fashion, can't be happy.

I think people who can't laugh at themselves are the most miserable.  When you can laugh at yourself, it's like having a little book of jokes you can carry anywhere.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:58 pm »
The church itself is not being very consistent about abortion.  The bloodiest hands in the House belong to Nancy Pelosi, and she's still allowed to take Communion, last I heard.  (I am not a Catholic, so I'm on thin ice here.)  Dittos for a lot of Dems.

The Catholic Church has gone through a lot of "rule changes" over the years even during my lifetime.  As for abortion, it's not been all that long (150 years+/-) that early stage abortion was formally considered killing a human by the Church.  It's gone from a conservative pope to what may be one of the most liberal popes in only one change.  Catholic dogma is not immune from societal changes.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 08:19:32 pm »
I suppose there could also be religious rationalization for being pro-choice cannibalism, but not pro-cannibalism.

I wonder if there were early African missionaries who adopted this position, even as the pot boiled under their very hides.   :silly:

All you would have to do is change the societal taboo... and the rest would be history...

True.  But if you think laws change culture, you are mistaken.  Culture changes the law.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:03 pm »
"Culture changes the law"

Exactly. Just look at the changing laws regarding marijuana. In a few more years most states will soften sanctions against personal use.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »
"Culture changes the law"

Exactly. Just look at the changing laws regarding marijuana. In a few more years most states will soften sanctions against personal use.
And alcohol.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln