Author Topic: Texas nurse fighting Ebola receives blood transfusion from survivor Dr Kent Brantly - who also matched blood types with two others struck by the deadly virus in the U.S.  (Read 4557 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Reportedly Admitted With Ebola Symptoms
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:06 am »
You have not read the latest Zogby Polls:

http://www.zogbyanalytics.com/news/505-zogby-report-card-ebola-islamic-state-lower-pay-drag-obama-down

I never read polls.  There is already an ad out blaming this ebola thing on the Republicans!  It's their standard playbook and most Americans are so stupid, they buy it hook, line and sinker.  Plus, you have to factor in their cheating.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

SPQR

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:10:30 am »
I never read polls.  There is already an ad out blaming this ebola thing on the Republicans!  It's their standard playbook and most Americans are so stupid, they buy it hook, line and sinker.  Plus, you have to factor in their cheating.

You have not read the credible ones like John Zogby or Dick Morris
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:12:50 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:18 am »
You have not read the credible ones like John Zogby or Dick Morris

No, I haven't.  Doesn't matter to me - I know how liberals behave.  They are liars and cheaters and they don't play by the rules.  Surely you can see that.

SPQR

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:44 am »
No, I haven't.  Doesn't matter to me - I know how liberals behave.  They are liars and cheaters and they don't play by the rules.  Surely you can see that.

Dick Morris is far from being a liberal. He would probably call that an insult.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:19:12 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 07:29:04 am »
Dick Morris is far from being a liberal. He would probably call that an insult.

Time will tell, I guess.   :beer:

SPQR

By Amy Ellis Nutt, Mark Berman and Brady Dennis

As a 26-year-old Dallas nurse lay infected in the same hospital where she treated a dying Ebola patient last week, government officials on Monday said the first transmission of the disease in the United States had revealed systemic failures in preparation that must “substantially” change in coming days.

“We have to rethink the way we address Ebola infection control, because even a single infection is unacceptable,” Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a news conference.

Frieden did not detail precisely how the extensive, government-issued safety protocols in place at many facilities might need to change or in what ways hospitals need to ramp up training for front-line doctors or nurses.

But his message was clear: With Ebola, there is no margin for error. The Dallas case made that certain.

Federal, state and local health officials on Monday raced to investigate how Nina Pham, a nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, became infected with Ebola. A 2010 graduate of Texas Christian University’s nursing program, she was part of the team that treated Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian man who succumbed to the virus Wednesday after more than a week at the hospital.

A health-care worker tested positive for the deadly virus.--

Disposal barrels are stationed outside the Dallas apartment of a health-care worker who treated Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan and tested positive for the disease. (Brandon Wade/AP)

Officials have said Pham wore protective gear, including a gown, gloves, a mask and a face shield, while caring for Duncan on multiple occasions. But Ebola can easily infect those who come into contact with the bodily fluids of Ebola patients, and the smallest slip in putting on or taking off protective gear can open the door to the virus.

Authorities on Monday also were working to determine how many other health-care workers at the hospital could have been exposed to the virus. About 70 staffers cared for Duncan, according to records obtained by the Associated Press.

“We need to consider the possibility that there could be additional cases, particularly among the health-care workers who cared for [Duncan] when he was so ill,” Frieden said. “We would not be surprised if we did see additional cases.”

Asked about how many people at the hospital might be at risk and in need of monitoring, Frieden said: “It’s a relatively large number, we think. . . . We cast a wide net and then narrow that down.”

Pham, whom family members and a church rector identified to a Dallas television station as the infected nurse, remained in stable condition at the hospital Monday, officials said. Investigators had tracked down only one person she might have had contact with since showing symptoms of the disease Friday. Pham, who had been at home taking her temperature twice a day, notified the hospital when she developed a fever, and she quickly was admitted to an isolated unit.

Kent Brantly, a U.S. doctor infected with Ebola this summer while treating patients at a missionary hospital in Liberia, went to the Dallas hospital on Sunday and donated his blood for Pham. The hope is that giving an Ebola victim an injection of blood plasma from a survivor could deliver antibodies that help fight off the virus.

Brantly, who was flown to Atlanta for treatment after his diagnosis and later released, was in Texas at the end of last week to deliver a speech at his alma mater, Abilene Christian University. A spokesman for Samaritan’s Purse, the Christian aid group for which Brantly worked in Africa, said the Dallas hospital got in touch with him after Pham’s diagnosis to see if he would be willing to donate. Brantly made the 180-mile trip east to offer his blood. 
The challenge of suiting up for Ebola
It is the third time he has donated blood since recovering from Ebola. He gave blood for another infected American doctor as well as for an Ebola-stricken NBC cameraman, both of whom were treated in Nebraska. Brantly also offered to donate blood to Duncan before his death, but their blood types were not a match.

Meanwhile, the 48 people known to have had possible contact with Duncan before his hospitalization, including 10 “high risk” family members who cared for him or stayed in the same apartment, continue to show no symptoms.

“Everybody’s okay,” said Aaron Yah, who is in quarantine along with other relatives of Duncan. He said that no one, including Duncan’s girlfriend, has shown any signs of infection.

As investigators work to figure out how Pham got infected, health officials already are considering exactly what protocols need strengthening at U.S. hospitals. The CDC said it will examine every aspect of dealing with suspected or confirmed Ebola cases, including how best to staff isolation units and how protective gear is put on and taken off.

“We have not identified a specific problem that led to this infection,” Frieden said. “We have identified a series of things where we can make the care safer and easier for the health-care workers that are providing it.”

Some new measures already are being put in place, Frieden said. Among other things, the CDC says a “buddy system” is essential for health-care workers to ensure the proper removal of protective gear. It is unclear whether that practice was in place in Dallas and how common it is elsewhere.

The chief executive of Texas Health Resources, which operates the Dallas facility, spoke Monday at a town-hall meeting there for hospital employees. “In our collective efforts to improve our knowledge, processes and outcomes, we must not lose sight of the compassion and selflessness a member of our family, and others, have demonstrated to care for others infected with this insidious disease,” CEO Barclay Berdan said. Acknowledging the scrutiny the hospital is under, he added: “We recognize the professional, tireless and compassionate care you provide each and every day. We are staying focused on taking care of our patients and each other.”

In recent days, National Nurses United, the largest union of registered nurses in the United States, has insisted that most hospitals are still not prepared to properly deal with Ebola. Nurses have complained of inadequate training or in some cases almost no training at all on the correct protocols. That lack of preparation is unacceptable, given the risk that front-line health workers face in treating potential Ebola patients, the nurses say.

That sentiment also prompted Frieden to apologize Monday for remarks he made immediately after Pham’s infection was announced. He said over the weekend that “a breach in protocol resulted in this infection,” a remark that some people interpreted as faulting the nurse.

“That was certainly not my intention. People on the front lines are really protecting all of us,” Frieden said. “The enemy here is a virus, Ebola. It’s not a person. It’s not a country. It’s not a place. It’s not a hospital. It’s a virus. It’s a virus that’s tough to fight.”

Yellow police tape on Monday cordoned off the two-story brick apartment building where Pham and her boyfriend live. Sheriff’s deputies and Dallas hazmat units lingered in front of the building for hours. A man in a Dodge truck from Louisiana with the name “OMI Environmental Solutions” on the side arrived about 9 a.m.

Meanwhile, the enhanced screening that began at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York over the weekend has flagged 91 travelers who came from the three West African countries hardest hit by Ebola. Five people were stopped for additional screening, Frieden said. None had a fever or Ebola.

Similar screening will roll out at airports in Washington, Atlanta, Chicago and Newark later this week.

The White House said Monday that President Obama met with members of his public health and national security team to discuss the situation in Texas. Frieden and Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell detailed the personnel and resources that have been sent to Dallas, as well as various efforts underway to heighten awareness and increase training for health-care workers throughout the country.

As Pham began her fight against the deadly virus in Dallas, the incinerated belongings of the Ebola patient she had treated were bound for a Louisiana hazardous-waste landfill — until the state’s attorney general, Buddy Caldwell, raised concerns that Duncan’s ashes could pose a danger to the state’s population.

Caldwell’s office said in a statement Monday that a Louisiana judge had granted its request for a temporary restraining order blocking the transportation of Duncan’s remains into the state. Despite the CDC guidelines saying that Ebola-related waste that has been incinerated is no longer infectious, Caldwell said that too many questions remain. “Even the CDC and our health-care workers seem uncertain as to the effectiveness of purported protocols in dealing with Ebola,” Caldwell said. “It is absurd to transport potentially hazardous Ebola waste across state lines.”

The order from Judge Bob Downing of Louisiana’s 19th District Court bars the Texas company that destroyed Duncan’s belongings from transporting the ashes into the state. It also prohibits the Louisiana facility slated to accept them from doing so. The order remains in place until Oct. 22, when Downing will hear arguments in the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-chief-after-dallas-nurses-ebola-infection-us-must-rethink-protocols/2014/10/13/5317a9a8-530f-11e4-809b-8cc0a295c773_story.html?hpid=z1

SPQR

WOW. I have mentioning some of this stuff!!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »
Trigger wrote above:
[[ Its not a conspiracy. People are not washing their hands after touching soiled objects. I carry a hand sanitizer before and after touching objects. When you are in a hospital setting you have to be more hygienic. ]]

In "The Hot Zone", Richard Preston describes how workers in the Army's Ft. Detrick center who handled Ebola (biohazard level 4) would routinely rinse off their hands in pans of disinfectant.

And this was with THREE LAYERS of gloved protection:
- a surgical style gown, INSIDE...
- a full "Space Suit", and not only that....
- an extra layer of gloves OUTSIDE the space suit gloves.

And even then, they had to exercise extreme care inside the "hot" areas.

Compare this, vis-a-vis what the hospital workers treating Ebola-infected patients are using.

What's wrong?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »
alicewonders wrote above:
[[ In some ways, it would be better if they lost - then maybe Americans will be sick to freakin' death of these people by 2016. ]]

... and that's if they're lucky.

Especially in the Dallas area!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
In some ways, it would be better if they lost - then maybe Americans will be sick to freakin' death of these people by 2016.

Unfortunately, there are many more liars on the left than on the right.

And it takes more time to disprove a lie than to tell it.

That's the tactic...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

SPQR

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 02:53:11 pm »
Trigger wrote above:
[[ Its not a conspiracy. People are not washing their hands after touching soiled objects. I carry a hand sanitizer before and after touching objects. When you are in a hospital setting you have to be more hygienic. ]]

In "The Hot Zone", Richard Preston describes how workers in the Army's Ft. Detrick center who handled Ebola (biohazard level 4) would routinely rinse off their hands in pans of disinfectant.

And this was with THREE LAYERS of gloved protection:
- a surgical style gown, INSIDE...
- a full "Space Suit", and not only that....
- an extra layer of gloves OUTSIDE the space suit gloves.

And even then, they had to exercise extreme care inside the "hot" areas.

Compare this, vis-a-vis what the hospital workers treating Ebola-infected patients are using.

What's wrong?

They were at biosafety level 2 not at biosafety 4
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:54:12 pm by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

I heard today that medical personnel working with ebola patients are to wear respirators instead of masks now.

Offline flowers

Strange given that none of the people living with Duncan have exhibited symptoms or been diagnosed...
Very strange. TOTAL silence about them. I wonder why? nothing even in the DM about them.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Very strange. TOTAL silence about them. I wonder why? nothing even in the DM about them.

....would be a catastrophe if they're all bedridden with full-blown ebola. 

Maybe we'll hear something AFTER the election.  [/s]  :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

....would be a catastrophe if they're all bedridden with full-blown ebola. 

Maybe we'll hear something AFTER the election.  [/s]  :whistle:
You my be correct until after the elections. Crap we are going to have a huge amount of news stories then. Bowe results, isis takes bagdad, oh your health insurance is canceled for the rest who have it.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
It is hard to have much hope in elections given recent history.  Nothing, even imminent sickness and disease, will stop union workers from voting payola.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I heard today that medical personnel working with ebola patients are to wear respirators instead of masks now.

The efficacy of that protocol depends on how fine the filters in the respirators are.  Fortunately, from what I've heard about it, the Ebola virus is very large (I heard 900 nm), for a virus, and respirators at the disease labs have very fine filters.  900 nm is almost 1 um, and there are plenty of air filters on the market capable of trapping 1 micron particles.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The efficacy of that protocol depends on how fine the filters in the respirators are.  Fortunately, from what I've heard about it, the Ebola virus is very large (I heard 900 nm), for a virus, and respirators at the disease labs have very fine filters.  900 nm is almost 1 um, and there are plenty of air filters on the market capable of trapping 1 micron particles.

I'd be slightly happier if they were using the 50 micron electrostatic filters used in biowarfare respirators, but the additional weight would probably rule them out. The big advantage of those is any airborne pathogen actively sticks to the filters, making disposal a hell of a lot safer. Not going to happen though - it would hammer home the lie that Ebola is not transmitted in the air.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd be slightly happier if they were using the 50 micron electrostatic filters used in biowarfare respirators, but the additional weight would probably rule them out. The big advantage of those is any airborne pathogen actively sticks to the filters, making disposal a hell of a lot safer. Not going to happen though - it would hammer home the lie that Ebola is not transmitted in the air.

Would it kill them to do the right thing and not bother telling anybody. so as not to cause a panic?

Geez, the CDC had only ONE job to do....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: