Author Topic: Uh....Don't look now, but the COWBOYS are 5-1  (Read 851 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Uh....Don't look now, but the COWBOYS are 5-1
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:08:59 am »

....after beating the defending SuperBowl champion SEAHAWKS!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Uh....Don't look now, but the COWBOYS are 5-1
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:11:28 am »

DeMarco Murray has 6th straight 100-yard game, leads Cowboys

SEATTLE -- On his sixth snap of the game, Tony Romo took a direct blow to his ribs and spent nearly a minute trying to get back to his feet.

Seconds later, when Chris Jones' punt was smothered by Seattle and returned for a touchdown, Romo and the Dallas Cowboys were facing a 10-0 deficit on the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks' home field.

Romo and his teammates rebounded from the terrible start, validating the strong start to the season with a resounding answer.

"I think our team now understands that we do a lot of things pretty well and I think we have the ability to kind of impose yourself on other teams," Romo said.

Rallying from the early deficit, the Cowboys relied on running back DeMarco Murray and a defense that confused Russell Wilson in a 30-23 victory Sunday.

Murray, who ran for 115 yards, scored on a 15-yard run with 3:16 left to give Dallas the lead and the Cowboys' defense held twice in the final 3 minutes to cap a miserable day by Seattle's offense. Rolando McClain intercepted Wilson's pass with less than a minute remaining to clinch the victory.

"Guys aren't going to back down," Dallas coach Jason Garrett said. "We have the right kind of guys on this team,"

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554305
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:43 am »
Either Jerry Jones made a deal with Satan, is paying off a lot of people, or they are spiking the other team's water bottles.

Everyone just seems to lay over all of a sudden when playing the Cowboys.  Of course the Texans just suck anyway.

But no worries, Romo will Romo as always and they'll end up 8-8 or 9-8 and at best, lose in the first round of the playoffs.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:00 am »
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:26:41 am »
Either Jerry Jones made a deal with Satan, is paying off a lot of people, or they are spiking the other team's water bottles.

Everyone just seems to lay over all of a sudden when playing the Cowboys.  Of course the Texans just suck anyway.

But no worries, Romo will Romo as always and they'll end up 8-8 or 9-8 and at best, lose in the first round of the playoffs.

1. Tony Romo’s all-time record as a starting quarterback in the NFL is 62-45, a .579 winning percentage.  He wins more than he loses. Tony Romo = winner. You understand basic math and percentages don't you?

2. Tony Romo has 19 career 4th quarter comeback wins in his career. That’s one more than Jon Kitna and tied with Jake Delhomme and Steve DeBerg. Yet all we hear is how Romo is a “choker,” whereas those guys’ names are pretty much never mentioned by anyone ever. Way to lap up the media-produced narratives!

3. Tony Romo has the fifth most fantasy points of any quarterback in the NFL this year. It may be called fantasy football, but it uses real statistics.

4. The Dallas defense hasn’t shut out an opponent since January 3, 2010. But, sure, sure: it’s all Romo’s fault when he’s the one who has had to produce at least a field goal every game for four years to even give his team a shot at a tie. Football is a team sport.

5. Tony Romo only has 2 career postseason interceptions. Guess how many the supposedly “clutch” Tom Brady has? Twenty-two. That’s right: Tom Brady has ELEVEN TIMES as many postseason interceptions as Tony Romo and Romo is supposedly the huge choker? Oooooookay.

6. Tony Romo has NEVER lost a Super Bowl. Can you say that, Brady? Nope. What about you, Peyton Manning? Nope. What about you, Roethlisberger? No again.

7. Since 2006, Tony Romo has 7 interceptions in the 4th quarter or overtime when his time is tied or leading by a single possession. The next closest quarterback only has 4 such interceptions. Looks bad for Romo, right? WRONG! Ever hear of the “exception that proves the rule?”

8. Tony Romo has a career record of 13-21 in December and January. But being 13-21 in December and January means Romo is 49-24 in September, October and November. That’s ELITE as ELITE gets.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 04:22:31 am »
1. Tony Romo’s all-time record as a starting quarterback in the NFL is 62-45, a .579 winning percentage.  He wins more than he loses. Tony Romo = winner. You understand basic math and percentages don't you?

2. Tony Romo has 19 career 4th quarter comeback wins in his career. That’s one more than Jon Kitna and tied with Jake Delhomme and Steve DeBerg. Yet all we hear is how Romo is a “choker,” whereas those guys’ names are pretty much never mentioned by anyone ever. Way to lap up the media-produced narratives!

3. Tony Romo has the fifth most fantasy points of any quarterback in the NFL this year. It may be called fantasy football, but it uses real statistics.

4. The Dallas defense hasn’t shut out an opponent since January 3, 2010. But, sure, sure: it’s all Romo’s fault when he’s the one who has had to produce at least a field goal every game for four years to even give his team a shot at a tie. Football is a team sport.

5. Tony Romo only has 2 career postseason interceptions. Guess how many the supposedly “clutch” Tom Brady has? Twenty-two. That’s right: Tom Brady has ELEVEN TIMES as many postseason interceptions as Tony Romo and Romo is supposedly the huge choker? Oooooookay.

6. Tony Romo has NEVER lost a Super Bowl. Can you say that, Brady? Nope. What about you, Peyton Manning? Nope. What about you, Roethlisberger? No again.

7. Since 2006, Tony Romo has 7 interceptions in the 4th quarter or overtime when his time is tied or leading by a single possession. The next closest quarterback only has 4 such interceptions. Looks bad for Romo, right? WRONG! Ever hear of the “exception that proves the rule?”

8. Tony Romo has a career record of 13-21 in December and January. But being 13-21 in December and January means Romo is 49-24 in September, October and November. That’s ELITE as ELITE gets.

Geez, Luis....I could us the same techniques you've used to make Barack Obama look good.

There's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics.

Who the hell ever heard of Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme and Steve DeBerg?   Not household names.

Tony Roma has the reputation of a playoff choker/loser.  Until he goes and wins a Super Bowl, he's in no peril to shed that label.

That said, I like him. and since my Deadskins are sucking wind....GO COWBOYS!   :beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:37 am »
Geez, Luis....I could us the same techniques you've used to make Barack Obama look good.

There's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics.

Who the hell ever heard of Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme and Steve DeBerg?   Not household names.

Tony Roma has the reputation of a playoff choker/loser.  Until he goes and wins a Super Bowl, he's in no peril to shed that label.

That said, I like him. and since my Deadskins are sucking wind....GO COWBOYS!   :beer:

Everyone wants to hate Romo, but the team loses every game that he loses too. 

I think one should have a reasonable expectation of winning if your offense scores 48 points. The Dallas D allowed Manning and the Broncos to score 51 points.

Even 30-36 points should yield a victory for a good team, but Dallas lost games when Romo and the offense scored in excess of 30 points too.

Dallas has been a mediocre team for years. Without Romo they would have been Jacksonville.

Why are they 5-1 right now?

The team is winning as a team.

It's football. It's a team sport.

Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme and Steve DeBerg.

Exactly.

But everyone knows Tony Romo, and years from now they'll remember Tony Romo.

You know who will NEVER win a Super Bowl?

Do we remember him as a choker, or do we remember his stats?

Eli Manning has won more Super Bowls than his brother Peyton.

Is Eli the better Q'back?

Rome is and has been a good quarterback playing with a substandard supporting cast for years.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:17 am »

And can you go 1 day without acting like a self righteous ass?
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:52:50 am »
And can you go 1 day without acting like a self righteous ass?

Really?

Pot... kettle... black.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:54:29 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 05:46:51 am »
Dolphins are shaking their heads tonite.  But football in early October rarely matters much.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck