Author Topic: Huckabee: GOP Needs To Fight Gay Marriage Even More Or I'm Leaving  (Read 19744 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Huckabee: GOP Needs To Fight Gay Marriage Even More Or I'm Leaving
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 12:43:44 am »
Yes! God forbid we have someone in the republican party who believes in something enough to actually FIGHT for it!!!

RINOs don't want to fight for anything as they have no spine.  It is all about getting along with Democrats no matter how much destruction it causes.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 01:07:36 am »
Because society has deemed the first three against social norms, and to be criminal, because they directly impact the victims.

You said, "...so trying to legislate morality at a federal level has always been an anti-conservative position."

So, it's OK to legislate morality at a federal level if society deems it against social norms and it directly impacts the victims?

Society did once legislate homosexuality as being against social norms and it definitely directly impacts the victims.

So... you were saying what?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:29 am »
You said, "...so trying to legislate morality at a federal level has always been an anti-conservative position."

So, it's OK to legislate morality at a federal level if society deems it against social norms and it directly impacts the victims?

Society did once legislate homosexuality as being against social norms and it definitely directly impacts the victims.

So who are the victims of homosexuality?

Society once legislated slavery as well as refusing women the right to vote and in some jurisdictions even to inherit or testify in court.  Society once kept people from buying contraceptives or marrying those of different races.  Society does change, and when victims aren't involved it's usually a good thing.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Carling

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 01:23:42 am »

Who is the direct victim if a gay couple gets married?  What harm, to a specific individual, is the result of gays getting married?  I'm actually curious, because the crimes you listed earlier have definitive and obvious victims, since they are personal property crimes against an individual.  I'm not pro-gay marriage, but I'm not anti-gay marriage, either.  It has nothing to do with me or my family.  It's up to parents to teach their kids about rights and wrongs, and my kids know that stealing from others, and hitting others, is wrong.  We've never had a discussion on why gay marriage is wrong, because it just doesn't matter in terms of the effect on my kids. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:25:52 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:15 am »
RINOs don't want to fight for anything as they have no spine.  It is all about getting along with Democrats no matter how much destruction it causes.

That's nonsense, and I'll again point out that Huck had Melissa Etheridge on his show just last weekend.  I have a feeling his current comments are the result of the rabid anti-gays not only railing against him for having her on the show, but also playing songs with her.

He tried to move his audience into social reality by humanizing Etheridge, who is a very good person, and it didn't work.  Now, he either loses his base audience, or gives up on changing their minds in order to keep his money train coming in for his show.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:52 am »
Who is the direct victim if a gay couple gets married?  What harm, to a specific individual, is the result of gays getting married?  I'm actually curious, because the crimes you listed earlier have definitive and obvious victims, since they are personal property crimes against an individual.  I'm not pro-gay marriage, but I'm not anti-gay marriage, either.  It has nothing to do with me or my family.  It's up to parents to teach their kids about rights and wrongs, and my kids know that stealing from others, and hitting others, is wrong.  We've never had a discussion on why gay marriage is wrong, because it just doesn't matter in terms of the effect on my kids.

The gays themselves are the victims.  If you think 'gay' marriage is anything like straight marriage, you really are foolish.

So... getting back to your comment about 'legislating morality' being anti-conservative.  You do realize that legislating moral behavior is what laws are all about, don't you?  Moral behavior is the only thing that holds a society together.  Immoral behavior is simply anarchy.  Is that 'conservative' to you?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Carling

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:35 am »
The gays themselves are the victims.  If you think 'gay' marriage is anything like straight marriage, you really are foolish.

So gays are the victims of a crime when they get married?  Is that what you're saying?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 01:38:38 am »
So gays are the victims of a crime when they get married?  Is that what you're saying?

So you're saying that anarchy is conservative?  Is that what you're saying?

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:21 am »

I don't like gay marriage, mostly because of my bringing up in the 1940s and '50s.  But I'm missing out on how the gays themselves are victims.  Could you explain please?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 02:02:58 am »
I don't like gay marriage, mostly because of my bringing up in the 1940s and '50s.  But I'm missing out on how the gays themselves are victims.  Could you explain please?

You would need to spend significant amounts of time around gays to understand how they really treat each other, married or not.  They prey on each other constantly.  That's a real dog-eat-dog world.  It's not what the media likes to portray.  You didn't really believe the media, did you?

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 02:06:12 am »
You would need to spend significant amounts of time around gays to understand how they really treat each other, married or not.  They prey on each other constantly.  That's a real dog-eat-dog world.  It's not what the media likes to portray.  You didn't really believe the media, did you?

Have to admit I don't spend much time around gays...that I know of.  But even with heterosexuals, the divorce rate is 50%, so I'm not sure anyone gets along that well over time... :pondering:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 02:07:20 am »
jmyrlefuller wrote above:
[[ We, as Christians, need to be more forthright in countering the homosexual agenda and aggressively calling out those who promote it as liars, and this includes their friends. To do this, we need to be prepared to rebut, point by point, the talking points that are now simply accepted as fact, just as they have with our side's arguments. Their arguments have not changed and are as flimsy as raw bacon. Yet we are losing. ]]

I agree.

Perhaps Fishrrman's credo applies here:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."

No matter what the left may proclaim "the new reality" to be, that doesn't change things.

As to why we are losing, I refer you to do a google on an Italian named Antonio Gramsci...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 02:08:50 am »
Have to admit I don't spend much time around gays...that I know of.  But even with heterosexuals, the divorce rate is 50%, so I'm not sure anyone gets along that well over time... :pondering:

It's nothing like straights at all.  As I said, it's predatory.  You think straight 'playas' are bad... you haven't seen anything.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 02:21:16 am »
Mac wrote above:
[[ The only way this can be done on a national scale is through a constitutional amendment.  It didn't get to first base in 2005. ]]

Stop rewriting history, Mac.

The reason there was no proposed Constitutional amendment to define marriage in 2005 was not because there wasn't support for it (there was).

The reason the amendment got nowhere is because THE REPUBLICANS KILLED IT.

They were so afraid to "tamper with the Constitution" that they decided to proffer something called "The Defense of Marriage Act", that would leave such nastiness to the states, and by doing so wash their hands of the issue. That passed easily.

A proposed amendment would have had a good chance of getting through the Congress at the time. And once it did, it would have been quickly ratified by the states.

Again, you're trying to rewrite and distort history, and the role Republicans played in this debacle.

By the way, I claim credit as being one of the first folks in America to call for a Constitutional amendment to define marriage. Here is the text of a post I put up back on June 30, 2003. Here is the complete text of a message I posted to TOS at the time. Read it carefully, including my predictions as to how the left could win on this issue:
===================================================
PhiKapMom wrote:
From this editorial we had better be prepared for the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) to be challenged in the courts and eventually ending up at the SCOTUS...

And end up there it will. Considering the current behavior of the Court, the outcome will be anybody's guess. _My_ guess is that there is a relatively strong -- not guaranteed, but "strong", nonetheless -- possibility that our side could lose.

With Vermont, and soon Massachusetts, we will have lost "two for two". I predict that if gay marriage comes before the New Jersey Supreme Court (one of the most liberal in the nation), that we will lose there as well. That will make it three for three.

Gay marriage is taking exactly the same "trek towards legitimization" that _abortion_ took before the Roe v. Wade decision. This is no mistake -- it is intentional and well-planned.

The routine works like this:
1. Gain a "foothold" for your argument by getting your cause "legitimized" in a few states (even though the majority of the remainder of those states still outlaw it).
2. Build a measure of public opinion supporting your issue (again, the majority of public opinion still against you notwithstanding).
3. Get your issue before the Supreme Court, and persuade them to "cross the line" between adjudicating and law-writing. This might be deemed the "penumbra of rights" tactic.

It worked with Roe. And -- particularly considering the Court's "Sodomy ruling" only a few days ago -- has a very good chance of working again with gay marriage. The "legal groundwork" is already there. All that is necessary is to coax the Justices to "reach" just a bit further in their reasoning.

For this reason, the outcome of a Supreme Court challenge to the Defense of Marriage act cannot be guaranteed. Presuming that our view of "traditional marriage" will survive a Supreme Court challenge carries great risk.

For that reason, it should not be allowed to happen. It _can_ be prevented, but we must act soon.

And the ONLY way to prevent such an eventual Supreme Court challenge, with its uncertain outcome, is to do an "end run" around the courts. Of course, this will require a United States Constitutional Amendment.

My proposed amendment to the United States Constitution:
============
"The United States, and the Several States, recognize that the legal and moral contract of marriage may be established only between one man and one woman. Neither the United States, nor the Several States, will sanction nor recognize any form of marriage other than that entered into by one man and one woman."
============

This is what it will take -- and can be the ONLY possible solution -- to stop the "gay marriage" movement in its tracks. Nothing else will work. Let me repeat that for you lunkheads: NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK. If you really want to "stop them", this is how you will have to do it.

From time to time, I have encountered individuals on this board who counter my thoughts with the supposition, "this isn't a matter for the Constitution" (or the courts). Your point is well taken, from a strictly intellectual viewpoint, but in the end you will lose if this is the only argumentative weapon you choose with which to do battle against the other side. THEY will use ALL weapons at their disposal in order to achieve their goal, and WILL NOT STOP FIGHTING until they have achieved that goal.

Like the obstructive Democrats of the Senate who are fillibustering the nomination of federal judges, they realize that our side may lack the "will" to take decisive and final action to stop their onslaught. In the case of the Senate, our side could quickly and easily end the fillibusters and force judicial nominations to the floor by use of the so-called "nuclear option" -- but they're _afraid_. Afraid of exactly _what_, only G-d knows.

And so it follows that we are "afraid" to press on -- and fight hard -- for the only "nuclear option" that will stop the gay marriage juggernaut. In our hearts, we know what must be done.

But will we do it?

Offline Carling

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 02:29:52 am »

My gay uncle and his partner of 25 years are the kindest and most funny people I know.  My girls adore them, unlike one creepy uncle who is married to a weird women who always talks about Disneyland.  My wife and I literally don't let that uncle be alone with the girls, and we see him maybe once every 2 years or so.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:32:55 am by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 02:30:48 am »
It's nothing like straights at all.  As I said, it's predatory.  You think straight 'playas' are bad... you haven't seen anything.

So, no pedophiles are straight?  Even the guy on young girl rapes are by gays?  Is that your belief?  The To Catch a Predator middle-aged creeps bring beer to meet what they think is a 14 year-old girl are all gay?  Holy Cow.   :amen:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:32:08 am by Carling »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 02:42:11 am »

Perhaps, you're generalizing there a bit, GD?

As MAC pointed out, even in the heterosexual marriage world, the divorce rate is 50% or higher.

There's no reason why two homosexuals or lesbians cannot remain faithfully monogamous and devoted to each other, and enjoy the tax, health and societal benefits marriage offers.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 02:42:35 am »
So hows come murder, rape, theft and no health-insurance are against the law?

So you don't see the difference between perpetrating murder, rape and theft on an unwilling individual and willingly wanting to enter into a legal union with another equally willing individual?

Health insurance...

Self-reliance and not impacting the property of others negatively by the lack of ability to take care of things that you do damage to seems to be quite the conservative principle, don't you think?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 02:50:37 am »
"Fight gay marriage?

Eleven States have either passed legislation making same-sex marriage legal, or it's been voted into reality via popular vote.

It is legal in fourteen other States by Court decision.

The Union still (GASP!) stands, and our problems are far bigger than whether Dan and his man want to be married. But that's what Huck wants to discuss.

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!

Bye Huck.

Oh... your TV show SUCKS!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:20 am »

Bye Huck.

Oh... your TV show SUCKS!

Are the prime-time Saturday and Sunday shows different?   Or, is the Sunday show the tenth repeat of the Saturday show?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:57 am »
Are the prime-time Saturday and Sunday shows different?   Or, is the Sunday show the tenth repeat of the Saturday show?

As far as I can tell the same two shows have been playing over and over for about two and a half years now.

The first one is insipid and the second one is both insipid and inane.

He's Barack Obama to Geraldo Rivera's Jimmy Carter. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »
Mac wrote above:
[[ The only way this can be done on a national scale is through a constitutional amendment.  It didn't get to first base in 2005. ]]

Stop rewriting history, Mac.

The reason there was no proposed Constitutional amendment to define marriage in 2005 was not because there wasn't support for it (there was).

The reason the amendment got nowhere is because THE REPUBLICANS KILLED IT.

They were so afraid to "tamper with the Constitution" that they decided to proffer something called "The Defense of Marriage Act", that would leave such nastiness to the states, and by doing so wash their hands of the issue. That passed easily.

A proposed amendment would have had a good chance of getting through the Congress at the time. And once it did, it would have been quickly ratified by the states.

Again, you're trying to rewrite and distort history, and the role Republicans played in this debacle.

There have been several attempts at a marriage amendment, and every one failed.  Two House votes didn't come close to 2/3 vote and the Senate couldn't get a cloture motion, let alone 2/3 vote.  All of the other proposed bills died in committee.  It might have gotten the 3/4 required states for ratification, but even then public opinion was beginning to turn.

As for DOMA, it was actually signed into law 9 years earlier, in 1996.

By the way, I claim credit as being one of the first folks in America to call for a Constitutional amendment to define marriage. Here is the text of a post I put up back on June 30, 2003. Here is the complete text of a message I posted to TOS at the time. Read it carefully, including my predictions as to how the left could win on this issue:

Actually a marriage amendment bill was introduced in May 2002.

I was against a marriage amendment then, and I still am.  I've always found it a tad confusing when the social right wanted Roe overturned because such laws belong in the states, while they wanted a constitutional amendment prohibiting states from enacting family law as they see fit.  My preference is that states remain free to permit gay marriage or to deny it.  But I also know the 14th Amendment challenges are likely to win the day, especially now that gay marriage has pretty much become socially acceptable by a majority.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2014, 01:15:41 pm »
Perhaps, you're generalizing there a bit, GD?

As MAC pointed out, even in the heterosexual marriage world, the divorce rate is 50% or higher.

There's no reason why two homosexuals or lesbians cannot remain faithfully monogamous and devoted to each other, and enjoy the tax, health and societal benefits marriage offers.

Or perhaps I am speaking from experience and an informed viewpoint.  You guys certainly aren't.  You're speculating about something you know nothing about.  Having a gay uncle around isn't understanding the gay lifestyle.  That's a totally different thing.  There's a reason that AIDS spread so widely among the gays.  Uncontrolled libido, do what thou wilt is the whole of the law.

The reason for the 'gay' movement is not only to recruit straights into the lifestyle but to get straights to act like gays.  Playboy was a major influence in that effort.  The 'playas' are as disease-ridden as the gays.  It's working quite well...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:19:03 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 01:17:34 pm »
So you don't see the difference between perpetrating murder, rape and theft on an unwilling individual and willingly wanting to enter into a legal union with another equally willing individual?

Health insurance...

Self-reliance and not impacting the property of others negatively by the lack of ability to take care of things that you do damage to seems to be quite the conservative principle, don't you think?

The point was that all law is imposing morality on society.  It's only a question of whose morality?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »
Again, I go back to Anita Bryant. Her career, reputation and even her own personal marriage were destroyed because homosexual activity was legitimized, giving the lobby cover to attack those who oppose it. That is the harm, and it is real.

Or, for a more modern example, Brendan Eich.

Or Phil Robertson, although his career seems to have (narrowly) survived the attempt at character assassination.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024