Author Topic: Huckabee: GOP Needs To Fight Gay Marriage Even More Or I'm Leaving  (Read 19738 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mike-huckabee-independent-gay-marriage-gop

ByBRENDAN JAMESPublishedOCTOBER 9, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT

If the GOP wants to hang onto former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, the party needs to "find Jesus soon" and oppose gay marriage more aggressively, the former presidential candidate suggested Tuesday.

In an interview with the American Family Association's radio show, Huckabee said he was "utterly exasperated" with Republicans for failing to stand up for traditional marriage after the Supreme Court cleared the way for gay marriage in several states on Monday.

"f the Republicans wanna lose guys like me, and a whole bunch of still God-fearing Bible-believing people, go ahead and just abdicate on this issue, and go ahead and say abortion doesn't matter either," he said.

"Because at that point, you lose me, I'm gone," Huckabee continued. "I'll become an independent, I'll start finding people that have guts to stand. I'm tired of this."

Watch the portion of the interview below, courtesy of RightWingWatch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA0ElHwO26U
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

Re: Huckabee: GOP Needs To Fight Gay Marriage Even More Or I'm Leaving
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »
Good riddance.  Society has moved on from this issue, and there are more important things to focus on in the country.  God will ultimately decide us all, so trying to legislate morality at a federal level has always been an anti-conservative position. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:21:59 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »
God will ultimately decide us all, so trying to legislate morality at a federal level has always been an anti-conservative position.

So hows come murder, rape, theft and no health-insurance are against the law?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »
Huck, don't let the door hit you. Create your own political niche movement, further your media career, rake in million$.

Meanwhile, good news as I see it: Sal Russo (Tea Party Express), is fundraising for the Republican candidates, even beyond the scope of TP types. He is raising funds AGAINST Orman in Kans., etc.as, Franken in Minn.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »
Good luck.

Maybe without his ilk we won't have these constant splits in the primaries allowing mediocre (but moneyed) candidates to slip through.

I don't think Huckabee realizes that the current approach toward opposing gay marriage isn't working. Very few people outside the evangelical chamber, and I'd venture to guess not even everyone in that chamber, see homosexuality as a danger to society anymore. They don't see the difference. The gay lobby has been extremely effective in pushing an image of false equivalency, and anyone who opposes it in public gets the Anita Bryant treatment. Because of this, we probably only have a couple more years before the courts declare gay marriage a constitutional right, something that was unfathomable just 20 years ago—and all this caterwauling will be for naught.

We, as Christians, need to be more forthright in countering the homosexual agenda and aggressively calling out those who promote it as liars, and this includes their friends. To do this, we need to be prepared to rebut, point by point, the talking points that are now simply accepted as fact, just as they have with our side's arguments. Their arguments have not changed and are as flimsy as raw bacon. Yet we are losing.

Unless we can change the opinions of those who vote, standing for something that is anathema to what the people believe is always going to be a losing proposition. So if Huckabee wants to keep pushing this losing issue, he and his ilk will increasingly make himself irrelevant.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »
Anita Bryant treatment? Jim, you can't possibly be in your 20s and still reference Anita Bryant. Wasn't that episode like, before you were born?

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55:59 pm »
So hows come murder, rape, theft and no health-insurance are against the law?

Because society has deemed the first three against social norms, and to be criminal, because they directly impact the victims.  The no health-insurance thing ... I'm not sure where you're going with there.  I'm against nationalized healthcare, just as I'm against DOMA.

Unless, of course, you're saying that homosexuality is has been deemed criminal behavior by the overwhelming majority of citizens.  That didn't happen, ever, and Huckabee can continue to play his guitar with gay marriage activist Melissa Etheridge on his cruddy TV show on the one hand, while whining about gays with the other hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxIuR8qRcA

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:01:04 pm by Carling »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »
Bye Huck.  I doubt you'll have many following you out the door. 

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:13:11 pm »
Bye Huck.  I doubt you'll have many following you out the door.

I really don't like Huckleberry very much, sinks.  Never been happy about the way he was compassionate with other peoples' lives when he let that murderer go loose.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »
Good riddance.  Society has moved on from this issue, and there are more important things to focus on in the country.  God will ultimately decide us all, so trying to legislate morality at a federal level has always been an anti-conservative position.

Yes! God forbid we have someone in the republican party who believes in something enough to actually FIGHT for it!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »
Huckabee....one of the main reasons I dread FOXNEWS Channel on weekends. 

Especially when you are getting up in the middle of the night every two hours.  (Thank you, Mr. Prostate)

Seems like Huckabee is having his own Jerry Lewis telethon....the number of times they play reruns.

How out-of-touch can one person be?  He's a classic example of a person who wrongly presumes that his 'world' and circle-of-influence are a majority.

Run for president?   Don't make me laugh.  He'll embarrass himself.

Let's just hope he's not hallucinating enough to run on a third party....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 11:43:12 pm »
Yes! God forbid we have someone in the republican party who believes in something enough to actually FIGHT for it!!!

Not sure how that fight will help win an election today.  In 1996 27% believed gay marriage should be valid.  Today it's 55%.  Society has decided to accept it.  The courts have decided that it really is a 14th Amendment issue.  What's Huckabee going to do about it even if he were elected?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:18 pm »
Not sure how that fight will help win an election today.  In 1996 27% believed gay marriage should be valid.  Today it's 55%.  Society has decided to accept it.  The courts have decided that it really is a 14th Amendment issue.  What's Huckabee going to do about it even if he were elected?

Wasn't talking about a specific issue. Just talking about the will to fight for SOMETHING!!!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:50:26 pm »
Anita Bryant treatment? Jim, you can't possibly be in your 20s and still reference Anita Bryant. Wasn't that episode like, before you were born?
I caught the reference in Airplane! (a movie my father introduced to me) and looked it up. But yes, it was before my time, although from the tone of what I've read about her and that incident it's not that much different (perhaps more extreme and from a smaller group) from what is going on right now.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »
Wasn't talking about a specific issue. Just talking about the will to fight for SOMETHING!!!

But the thread topic specifies we're currently discussing "Gay Marriage" as a viable issue....and threatening to leave the GOP over it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »
But the thread topic specifies we're currently discussing "Gay Marriage" as a viable issue....and threatening to leave the GOP over it.

OK then! I personally think it is a very great leap for one to assert that "the country has decided to accept same sex marriage"!  In fact, I think nothing could be further from the truth!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:24 am »
OK then! I personally think it is a very great leap for one to assert that "the country has decided to accept same sex marriage"!  In fact, I think nothing could be further from the truth!

Not going to challenge you on that, Bigun...but until Conservatives make inroads on the alphabet networks...that "truth" will continue to be hidden from the average voter.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:58 am »

WADR, do you have any data to support that?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:19 am »
WADR, do you have any data to support that?

Yep! Lots of it! Many states have passed Constitutional amendments that define marriage as being between a MAN and a WOMAN!  I don't this it will be long before the movement to do that on a national scale can be far behind!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 12:19:50 am »
Yep! Lots of it! Many states have passed Constitutional amendments that define marriage as being between a MAN and a WOMAN!  I don't this it will be long before the movement to do that on a national scale can be far behind!

Yeah, so did mine.  The only way this can be done on a national scale is through a constitutional amendment.  It didn't get to first base in 2005.  Given the polls currently on the issue, do you think it has a chance today?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:06 am »
The bulk of gay marriages will be confined to certain regions and cities; Northeast more than the South and Midwest, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Austin, New York. Places like that. I don't have to like every region's culture. Take hunting for example. If people want to hunt deer, that's fine. I personally couldn't kill a deer - that's the animal lover in me, I guess. But, I wouldn't impose my view on the killing of deer for sport on others.

In order to do other important stuff Republicans must first get elected. So, I agree with Mac. I'm not sure how standing in front of this issue helps them get elected.

Culture changes whether we want it to or not. It just happens to be changing more rapidly today than at anytime in the past. That makes some of us old folks uncomfortable.

Offline Carling

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:28:44 am »

Huck believes so much in defeating gay marriage that he invited Melissa Etheridge, a lesbian and gay marriage activist, on his show this past weekend for a jam session.  I have nothing against Etheridge at all, don't care who she marries, but Huck is being a hypocrite by having a "star" like her on his show, and also playing songs with her for the audience.

Huck is a fraud.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:39:41 am »
Well, most of those passed in the era before Obama. That national movement may have had some momentum back then but whatever there was I imagine is long gone now.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 12:43:34 am »
Huck believes so much in defeating gay marriage that he invited Melissa Etheridge, a lesbian and gay marriage activist, on his show this past weekend for a jam session.  I have nothing against Etheridge at all, don't care who she marries, but Huck is being a hypocrite by having a "star" like her on his show, and also playing songs with her for the audience.

Huck is a fraud.

I see that differently, Carling.

To me, he was demonstrating that he could 'break bread' and find a common interest with those advocating an opposite position.  IOW...a way to reach out to those "independents".   It was a political strategy...not done purely in kindness.