Author Topic: Gen. Hayden: Panetta Right, Fighting ISIS Will Take 'Generation Plus'  (Read 359 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=598880

Newsmax
Gen. Hayden: Panetta Right, Fighting ISIS Will Take 'Generation Plus'
Monday, October 6, 2014 01:15 PM

By: Courtney Coren

Retired Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden agrees with former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's prediction that the fight with the Islamic State (ISIS) will be like a 30-year war.

"It's not going to be 30 years of American bombing, one hopes," he told J.D. Hayworth on "America's Forum" on Newsmax TV Monday.

However, "it's going to take a generation plus for a new equilibrium to establish in the Middle East," he explained. "Frankly, I agree with that very strongly."

Panetta, who served as CIA director in the Obama administration before heading up the Pentagon, told USA Today that President Barack Obama made decisions that led to the Islamic State (ISIS) gaining as much power as it has in Iraq, primarily by not working harder to convince the Iraqi government to keep a residual force of U.S. troops in Iraq.

Panetta also predicted that the fight against ISIS will be a "kind of a 30-year war."

According to Hayden, in spite of Obama's vow that he will not send U.S. troops to fight on the ground in its effort to push back ISIS, he predicts that there will be 3,000 to 5,000 U.S. troops in Iraq by Christmas.

"No one's calling for American maneuver battalions or maneuver brigades out there leading the assault in the western Iraqi desert," the former Air Force general explained.

But, he says that as Panetta explained in his USA Today interview "you need forces forward, you need forces integrated, you need tactical air control parties, you need special operation forces."

"You can't keep to the false limits we've placed on ourselves," he said. "We're going to have to put forces more forward."

"Quite quietly we've deployed a division headquarters to Iraq," he explained.

He predicts that "we'll see a gradual increase in American presence there."

"I've used the number 3,000 to 5,000 by Christmas, on the ground, and I'm still comfortable with that estimate," he added.

He contends that "the president sticking with this no boots on the ground, in some ways he's underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

"The American people know the nuance — no we're not going to have maneuver brigades there, but we will be embedded with friendly forces," he said.

Hayden said that Obama's "more robust actions" by putting together a coalition to fight ISIS have put the country "in a far better place than we were a month or two ago."

However, he fears that the president changed his strategy on ISIS because polling changed.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Gen. Hayden: Panetta Right, Fighting ISIS Will Take 'Generation Plus'
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:54:22 pm »
Obama's rush to withdraw, has cost tens of thousands of lives, and the downfall of potentially two nations.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Re: Gen. Hayden: Panetta Right, Fighting ISIS Will Take 'Generation Plus'
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:35 am »
Obama's rush to withdraw, has cost tens of thousands of lives, and the downfall of potentially two nations.

I believe that, in the long run when his worshippers have passed on, history will hold him accountable for what he has done.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.