Author Topic: Romney: 'I'd Like to Be in the White House'  (Read 450 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney: 'I'd Like to Be in the White House'
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:58 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MIDTERM_ELECTIONS_ROMNEY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-02-04-05-13

Oct 2, 4:05 AM EDT

Romney's in demand as Republicans' future unclear

By STEVE PEOPLES and CHRISTINA A. CASSIDY
Associated Press

ATLANTA (AP) -- Almost two years after his Election Day drubbing, Mitt Romney is the Republican man in demand.

The twice-defeated White House contender is campaigning across seven states this week, covering nearly 6,000 miles in five days to raise money and energy for Republican midterm candidates from Georgia to Colorado.

Romney has repeatedly insisted he's not running for president again, and his closest aides laugh off a possible 2016 bid. But top GOP strategists and donors suggest his continued high profile in Republican politics highlights the party's murky future and a crowded 2016 field that is both flawed and without a clear front-runner

"There's a vacuum," said John Jordan, a major Republican donor based in California. "When there's 10 people in a possible presidential field, it's difficult for anyone to look presidential. None of these figures is overly compelling."

Just a month before the unofficial beginning of the next presidential primary season, Democrats have already begun to rally behind prospective candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton. The race for the Republican nomination, however, is as wide open as most political veterans can remember.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie had begun to assume a party leadership role before a traffic scandal tainted his brand. Major questions persist about former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's commitment to the 2016 contest. And the rest of the potential field features conservatives, such as Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who have yet to demonstrate widespread appeal.

That leaves Romney as this season's strongest draw for Republican midterm candidates battling for control of Congress.

He earned a rock star's reception on Wednesday at The Varsity, a landmark Atlanta restaurant, where he campaigned alongside Attorney General Sam Olens after headlining a closed-door fundraiser for Senate candidate David Perdue.

Romney shook hands and autographed paper plates at The Varsity before ordering a hot dog and onion rings as diners snapped pictures.

In thanking Romney for making the trip, Olen said, "I wish you were on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave."

"I'm just sad I'm not able to be there either," Romney said, responding to a reporter's question about his interest in another run. "I'd like to be in the White House. I wish I would have had the chance."

The appearance was one leg in an aggressive five-day campaign swing covering some of the nation's premier midterm battlegrounds: Colorado, Virginia, Georgia, Oklahoma, Michigan, Kentucky and Louisiana. Having swapped his private campaign plane for commercial travel, Romney is working long days to attend private fundraisers and public rallies to help leading Republican governors, Senate candidates and former allies like Olens.

Talking to reporters Wednesday, Romney downplayed his role in a Republican Party that has "a whole series of different voices that are pulling in different directions."

"My role is just as one more voice," he said. "I was honored to become the Republican nominee, so I continue to have some voice. But I'm not running for anything - just trying to run to help people who are running for something, and I'm making my effort known in the states that welcome me."

Thursday he headlines a GOP rally in Michigan before a Kentucky fundraiser to benefit Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. It's the kind of schedule usually reserved for a political party's elite, not a twice-defeated elder statesman who insists his political career is over.

"The wandering eyes for Romney are a byproduct of the uncertainty of the field," said former Romney aide Kevin Madden, who described Romney as a "known commodity."

Hogan Gidley, a South Carolina-based veteran of presidential politics, explained Romney's appeal with a sports analogy.

"The most popular player on a football team is the backup quarterback when your team's struggling," Gidley said. "The party is struggling."

Indeed, even as the GOP's prospects this fall look good, polls suggest the party's brand is unpopular. And Republican leaders have ignored recommendations to address key issues such as immigration legislation ahead of the next presidential contest.

Still, donors like Jordan say they aren't yet worried.

All the Republican hand-wringing, he said, is like retailers worrying about Christmas sales in July.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:49:54 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=598351

Newsmax
Thursday, October 2, 2014 09:49 PM

By: Jason Devaney

Mitt Romney may be saying he's not be planning to run for the presidency, but he'd sure like to be in the White House.

The former Massachusetts governor had this to say when asked whether he would run for president again in 2016:

"Ah, no. I'm just sad I'm not able to be there either. I’d like to be in the White House," he said, according to the The Marietta (Ga.) Daily Journal.

Romney then clarified his remarks, which he made during a campaign stop for Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on Wednesday: "I’m not running and I'm not planning on running. I’ve got nothing to add to that story."

There has been much speculation about Romney's 2016 plans. He has said several times he would not launch a third attempt at becoming president, but in some interviews he has seemed less decisive.

In a recent interview with The New York Times Magazine, Romney said: "We've got a lot of people looking at the race. We'll see what happens."

And last week, Romney's wife, Ann, would not definitively rule out the idea that her husband might make another bid for the Oval Office.

"Well, we will see, won't we, Neil?" she told Fox News' Neil Cavuto.

For now, Romney said he is focused on helping Republicans in their bid to take control of the Senate in next month's midterm elections. He has spent a lot of time on the road in recent months campaigning for GOP candidates.

"There is, within my party, a whole series of different voices that are pulling in different directions," Romney told the Daily Journal. "I’m going to try to encourage a direction of involvement in international affairs, efforts to rebuild our economy and put America in a position where we can create more good jobs for people, see rising wages."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Romney: 'I'd Like to Be in the White House'
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:05:26 pm »
'I'd Like to Be in the White House'....said the man with the stupid, disconnected smile. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:38 pm »
'I'd Like to Be in the White House'....said the man with the stupid, disconnected smile.

Kind of like Jimmy Carter saying he could have defeated Reagan if he'd been more "manly".

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
Kind of like Jimmy Carter saying he could have defeated Reagan if he'd been more "manly".

If you read the entire context in which Carter was speaking about this....he was right.

He said that if he went in and obliterated Iran...even at the cost of the lives of the hostages, he would have won against Reagan.

...just want to be fair and balanced.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 02:09:55 pm »
If you read the entire context in which Carter was speaking about this....he was right.

He said that if he went in and obliterated Iran...even at the cost of the lives of the hostages, he would have won against Reagan.

...just want to be fair and balanced.   :laugh:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If I hadda knowna...

That it was a gonna...

Turn out that way...

For some reason, Dems have an awfully hard time not being idiots.

:silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 02:19:05 pm »
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If I hadda knowna...

That it was a gonna...

Turn out that way...

For some reason, Dems have an awfully hard time not being idiots.

:silly:

Still recall the debacle rescue attempt...having helicopters trying to land and take off in the desert sand...which clogged the rotor gears, etc..

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »
He would be in the White House today if he hadn't given in to the dictates of political correctness and let Obama up off the mat in that second debate!

After that display I have no further use for him as a political candidate ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 02:36:37 pm »
He would be in the White House today if he hadn't given in to the dictates of political correctness and let Obama up off the mat in that second debate!

Yes Bigun - he definitely has had his chances.  A nice man -a good man - but not what we need right now to win in 2016.  Nice ain't gonna work!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »

The real question is... if he really wanted to win, why did he 'let Obama up off the mat'?  I don't think it's reasonable to believe it was a 'mistake'.  Those guys don't get to that level by being that stupid.

If not a 'mistake', what was it?  Planned?

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan