Author Topic: Why the Nationals will win it all  (Read 3622 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Why the Nationals will win it all
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 01:50:40 am »
The call on Cabrera was correct.  Outside corner.  It is undisciplined for a player to slam a bat down on home plate over a call strike.  And the manager, of course, comes out and gets tossed too.

Nationals have a runner on second and one out, so this may turn in your favor anyway. 

Cardinals are going to be the National League Team and may win it all.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 02:00:46 am »
The call on Cabrera was correct.  Outside corner.  It is undisciplined for a player to slam a bat down on home plate over a call strike.  And the manager, of course, comes out and gets tossed too.

Nationals have a runner on second and one out, so this may turn in your favor anyway. 

Cardinals are going to be the National League Team and may win it all.

I agree on the called strike three...but come one....strike two was ridiculous.

Yeah....Mattingly was nuts to leave Kershaw in when the bases were loaded.  Terrible decision.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 03:22:22 am »
Geez....it's the 17th inning.  Game is 6 hours long  still tied 1-1
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 03:41:16 am »
Not tied now...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 03:42:49 am »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 03:45:04 am »

:chairbang:

The Nationals would not be here if they were not capable of coming back.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 04:10:51 am »
Tough game, DC.  Hated to see either team lose.  I think a Dodger-Giant NLCS would be interesting. 

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 04:24:04 am »
Longest postseason game?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 08:54:23 am »
The Nationals would not be here if they were not capable of coming back.

Will say it one more time....and it's not just "sour grapes".

Even the MLB postgame show agreed with me.  That game was too big of a venue for that effing umpire.  You don't squeeze  Jordon Zimmerman who's throwing a shutout with two outs in the ninth....on balls you were calling strikes all f*cking night long.  He called that pitch a 'strike' ALL NIGHT LONG!

And then to call low AND high strikes against Washington afterwards was a felony, IMO.  I thought he robbed Harper in the 10th....so did the postgame panel.

As I told Sinkspur...Asdrubel Cabrera should have walked on the penultimate pitch of the AB in the 11th...and then he follows it again on a slightly less obvious pitch?  YOU CAN"T GIVE THE UMP BOTH EAST-WEST and NORTH-SOUTH.

I knew this was going to happen when I saw the last few games of the regular season.  The NATS would consistently have DOUBLE DIGIT basehits and only one or two runs to show for it.

They suck with RISP.

But the umpire injected himself into that GAME.  It's a damned shame. 

A damned shame. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
Former all-star SF GIANTS' 3rd baseman Matt Williams, who recently came out of the Arizona Diamondbacks organization.
Thanks I asked that already this year didn't i?

Offline flowers

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

Even the MLB postgame show agreed with me.  That game was too big of a venue for that effing umpire.  You don't squeeze  Jordon Zimmerman who's throwing a shutout with two outs in the ninth....on balls you were calling strikes all f*cking night long.  He called that pitch a 'strike' ALL NIGHT LONG!

And then to call low AND high strikes against Washington afterwards was a felony, IMO.  I thought he robbed Harper in the 10th....so did the postgame panel.

As I told Sinkspur...Asdrubel Cabrera should have walked on the penultimate pitch of the AB in the 11th...and then he follows it again on a slightly less obvious pitch?  YOU CAN"T GIVE THE UMP BOTH EAST-WEST and NORTH-SOUTH.

I knew this was going to happen when I saw the last few games of the regular season.  The NATS would consistently have DOUBLE DIGIT basehits and only one or two runs to show for it.

They suck with RISP.

A damned shame.
What is the name of the ump? Fletcher? Angel Hernandes?

Offline flowers

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
Saturday, October 4
F/18    NLDS Gm 2    Giants 2, Nationals 1    W: Petit, L: Roark    WRAP
FINAL    NLDS Gm 2    Cardinals 2, Dodgers 3    W: League, L: Neshek    WRAP

Well crap, I don't get MLBN or FS1 channels, I would like to see the Dodger game and the nats game. Oh well will look here for info.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »

They suck with RISP.

A damned shame.

It was an 18 inning game.  The Nationals had their opportunities.  More than the Giants, I dare say.  Especially in the first nine innings.  I don't know for certain, but I'd bet Washington stranded more runners in both the first nine and extra innings.  The game did not come down to a few pitches.

The call at home plate in the top of the ninth could easily have gone against Washington, and I think it would have been upheld on replay.  It was simply too close to get a definitive result via video.  The point is, umpiring is part of the game.  This ump did not want the game to end on a close pitch so he defaulted on the side of the batter when there were two out in the bottom of the ninth.  Any pitcher would know that you have to throw a clean strike to end a one-run game.

The third strike call to Harper was a clear strike that broke into the middle of the plate, high in the strike zone.  It was clear on the replay.  Strike two was questionable, but not strike three. 

How about pulling Zimmerman?  That has also been pointed to as a cause of the Nationals' loss.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 07:06:01 pm »
What is the name of the ump? Fletcher? Angel Hernandes?

Victor Carapazza.   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »

How about pulling Zimmerman?  That has also been pointed to as a cause of the Nationals' loss.

I would agree with that.  Zimmermann had just retired TWENTY batters in a row. 

And Matt Williams in the postgame interview said his plan "...was to pull Zim if he got into trouble..."

And as I said prior...he was squeezed....it wasn't like he had lost control of the strike zone, IMO.  He was NOT in trouble.

Of course, Posey...coming up next hits EVERYBODY hard and he'd already seen Zimmermann 3 times already...the last AB he lined out hard to Rendon at 3rd base.  So...I would have tried to get him to expand the strikezone and go after something off the plate.

He should have allowed him to try one more batter before yanking him, IMO.

Offline flowers

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:22 pm »
Victor Carapazza.
Never heard of him, is he a newer ump? I mean newer by in the last 10 years?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »
Never heard of him, is he a newer ump? I mean newer by in the last 10 years?

they call him "Victor the Ejector"....leads the entire league in throwing players and/or coaches out of games.

He's 35 years old.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:23 am »

Matt Kemp: Strike zone 'terrible'

ST. LOUIS -- Los Angeles Dodgers slugger Matt Kemp, who got in a heated argument with plate umpire Dale Scott late in his team's 3-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 3 of the National League Division Series, blasted the veteran umpire after the game.

The Dodgers, who were swinging hot bats coming into the game, were held to seven hits by veteran right-hander John Lackey and two Cardinals relievers.

"Terrible. Terrible strike zone," Kemp said. "I've never seen anything like it. That's disappointing because you've got guys out there battling. You know, this is two good teams going at it, and it's supposed to be the teams, not the umpire, and I just feel like the umpire took the bat out of our hands today. He had a very generous strike zone. It's hard to face good pitching when you've got a guy throwing a ball in the other batter's box, and it's called strikes."

Other Dodgers were more diplomatic in their comments but also expressed frustration with Scott's zone.

Adrian Gonzalez declined comment and said Lackey "put the ball where he needed to."

Manager Don Mattingly also called Scott's zone "generous" and said, "It puts you in a bind. You keep giving pitches, changing counts. Obviously, you can't go too far with it, but real generous."

Kemp, who got in a face-to-face argument with Scott after he struck out to lead off the ninth inning, could be facing a fine from the commissioner's office for his postgame comments.

He seemed OK with that and joked to reporters after he spoke. "You all got what you want from me," he said.

Kemp, who led the major leagues in slugging after the All-Star break, finished 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in Game 3.

"You've got to be held accountable, man," Kemp said. "When we mess up and do bad things on the field, people talk about it. People get sent down when they play bad. I feel like when stuff like that happens, there should be some kind of punishment because it's unacceptable, man."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11656817/2014-mlb-playoffs-matt-kemp-los-angeles-dodgers-calls-umpire-terrible-strike-zone

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EXACTLY.......   :shrug:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 04:45:47 am »
A damned shame.....to lose the NLDS on a wild pitch.     8888crybaby

The wild-card Giants took Game 4 in the best-of-five Division Series and eliminated the Nationals by scoring on a bases-loaded walk, a groundout and a wild pitch. Hunter Pence turned in a defensive gem in right field.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=341007126
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:50:26 am by DCPatriot »

Offline evadR

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:41 pm »
Ok, 1 and done.  Same old Nats....Move on.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »
Somebody say "wild pitch"?
'member me?  ---

Ryne Duren

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »
Ok, 1 and done.  Same old Nats....Move on.

Sadly, I'm with you brother.  Outside of Harper and Rendon, the rest of the team batted .114 for the series.

Too many 'can of corn' flyballs and too many K's.

Disgusting.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »
Somebody say "wild pitch"?
'member me?  ---

Ryne Duren

Yeah...but at least Duren threw 100 mph and tightened many a sphincter muscle on the hitter.

This SOB threw a second one over the catcher's head....ON AN INTENTIONAL WALK...with a runner on 3rd base.   8888crybaby