Author Topic: Federal Court Denies DOJ Motion for Delay, Orders Release of Fast and Furious Documents List to Judicial Watch by October 22  (Read 2255 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://wgntv.com/2014/09/25/report-eric-holder-to-step-down-as-attorney-general/

Eric Holder to step down as Attorney General
POSTED 9:54 AM, SEPTEMBER 25, 2014, BY WGN WEB DESK, UPDATED AT 09:57AM, SEPTEMBER 25, 2014

Attorney General Eric Holder announced Thursday he will resign after six years at the Justice Department helm.

Sources tell NPR that Holder, 63, intends to leave the Justice Department as soon as his successor is confirmed, a process that could run through 2014 and even into next year.

Holder is the nation’s first black U.S. attorney and is one of the longest serving members of the Obama cabinet.

This is a developing story. Check back for details.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

Attorney General Eric Holder plans to announce Thursday that he is leaving the Obama administration, a Justice Department official confirmed to Fox News.

The official said Holder has agreed to stay on the job until his successor is confirmed.

The departure would cap a tumultuous six-year term for the nation's top law enforcement official.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/25/holder-stepping-down-from-obama-administration-official-says/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Attorney General Eric Holder plans to announce Thursday that he is leaving the Obama administration, a Justice Department official confirmed to Fox News.

The official said Holder has agreed to stay on the job until his successor is confirmed.

The departure would cap a tumultuous six-year term for the nation's top law enforcement official.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/25/holder-stepping-down-from-obama-administration-official-says/

He'll probably be named to the Supreme Court when they "get rid" of Ginsberg. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Don't let the door knob hit you on the way out Red!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Perish the thought!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Embracing new career as private, professional race pimp to replace his former career as Federal race pimp.

Watch out Jesse and Al, there's a new kid in town.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mountaineer

Nothing would surprise me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Well, at least his replacement won't/can't be much worse................   :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

I bet his replacement will be 100% worse. 

Offline R4 TrumPence

Well, at least his replacement won't/can't be much worse................   :smokin:

You never know with these people.  CAIR atty maybe?

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline musiclady

Rush just suggested it might be Al Sharpton.   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Federal Court Denies DOJ Motion for Delay, Orders Release of Fast and Furious Documents List to Judicial Watch by October 22

SEPTEMBER 25, 2014

“The government’s arguments for even more time are unconvincing.”

– U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates

(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch announced today that on September 23, 2014, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that by October 22, the Department of Justice (DOJ) must submit a “Vaughn index” listing Fast and Furious materials Judicial Watch sought in its June 2012 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request and subsequent September 2012 FOIA lawsuit (Judicial Watch v. Department of Justice (No. 1:12-cv-01510)).  A Vaughn index must: (1) identify each document withheld; (2) state the statutory exemption claimed; and (3) explain how disclosure would damage the interests protected by the claimed exemption.

On July 18, Bates ordered the Department of Justice to produce the documents list by October 1. The ruling by U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates denied a motion by the Obama DOJ that it be given until over an extra month, until November 3, to produce the Vaughn index. Judge Bates noted that the Justice Department’s request showed the Justice Department was, “at best, it means the Department has been slow to react to this Court’s previous [July 18, 2014] Order. At worst, it means the Department has ignored that Order until now.”

In its FOIA lawsuit, Judicial Watch sought all of the documents the Obama White House was withholding from the House of Representatives under its June 20, 2012, executive privilege claims. The House had been separately litigating to obtain the documents but had gotten nowhere until after Judge Bates ruled that the DOJ finally had to disclose the document information to Judicial Watch.  On September 9, U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson, citing Judicial Watch’s success, ordered the DOJ to begin producing information to Congress by November 3.

In denying the DOJ’s motion for an extension until the day before the November elections, Bates ruled, “The government’s argument for even more time is unconvincing,” and granted the government just 21 additional days to produce the Vaughn index to Judicial Watch.

Judge Bates cites three reasons for denying the Justice Department’s request and gave the agency until October 22 to produce the information – “and no further”:

The Department first points to Judge [Amy Berman] Jackson’s November 3 deadline in House Committee [lawsuit for DOJ Fast and Furious documents] … But this misreads Judge Jackson’s opinion. As that court reasoned, ‘since the deadline in Judicial Watch was set first, it makes sense for defendant to complete that effort and then turn his attention to the list that is due in this case’ … This rationale counsels against dramatically shifting the goalposts in this case.

The government argues next that the sheer volume of documents involved in this case requires additional time to produce a Vaughn index, and it relies on the declaration testimony of Allison Stanton, a Director of E-Discovery at the Department of Justice, to substantiate this claim … She produced her declaration as part of the House Committee case, and her testimony describes the Department’s difficulties in responding to the order in that case … Nowhere does Stanton mention the present FOIA litigation or this case’s (much less onerous) Vaughn index requirement.

Finally, the government argues that it must devote significant numbers of attorneys to this matter if it hopes to comply with the current Vaughn index deadline … But the Department has known about its Vaughn index obligations since July 18, 2014 … At best, it means the Department has been slow to react to this Court’s previous Order. At worst, it means the Department has ignored that Order until now.

Judge Bates ruled:

Seventy-five days—plus another twenty-one, based in part on Judicial Watch’s consent—is enough time for the government to prepare the index that this Court has ordered, given that this matter has been pending for over two years. The Court will therefore extend the Department’s Vaughn index submission deadline to October 22, 2014—and no further.

“The Obama administration failed to game the courts and now will have to account for its Fast and Furious lies.  Two federal courts have now rejected Eric Holder’s election-related ploy to keep this information from the American people,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “This is a battle that put Eric Holder in contempt of Congress, saw Nixonian assertions of executive privilege by Barack Obama, and a hapless Congress in the face of all this lawlessness.  This latest court ruling shows again that Judicial Watch’s independent investigations and lawsuits are more effective than Congress and the rest of the media.  We are pleased we may get some accountability for Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry and hundreds of others who lost their lives as a result of Obama’s Fast and Furious program.”

Operation Fast and Furious was a Justice Department/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) “gun-running” operation in which the Obama administration allowed guns to go to Mexican drug cartels in hopes that they would end up at crime scenes, thereby advancing gun-control policies. Fast and Furious weapons have been implicated in the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry and hundreds of other innocents in Mexico. Guns from the Fast and Furious scandal are expected to be used in criminal activity for years to come.

Attorney General Eric Holder was held in contempt by the House of Representatives over his refusal to turn over documents about why the Obama administration may have lied to Congress and refused for months to disclose the truth about the gun-running operation.  It marked the first time in U.S. history a sitting Attorney General was held in contempt of Congress.

On June 20, 2012, the eve of the contempt citation, President Obama stepped in and invoked “executive privilege” over the Fast and Furious documents the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee had subpoenaed eight months earlier.  This invocation, besides ensuring no disclosures would be made before President Obama’s reelection, also had the effect of protecting Holder from being prosecuted for contempt, because it is the “practice” of the DOJ to not prosecute contempt of Congress charges if the documents in dispute are being withheld pursuant to executive privilege claims.

Judicial Watch filed its FOIA request for the “executive privilege” documents just two days after President Obama made his unprecedented assertion of this presidential privilege. When the DOJ denied that request, Judicial Watch filed a FOIA lawsuit on September 12, 2012.  On February 15, 2013, Judge Bates stayed the Judicial Watch lawsuit, in part to allow ongoing settlement discussions between the Justice DOJ and the House Committee to continue.  But on July 18, 2014, after a 16-month delay, Judge Bates ordered the DOJ to turn over to Judicial Watch a “Vaughn index” of all Fast and Furious materials by October 1 (the date, under this week’s court ruling, is now October 22).

Judicial Watch has filed several other FOIA lawsuits to obtain Fast and Furious scandal:

On October 11, 2011, Judicial Watch sued the DOJ and the ATF to obtain all Fast and Furious records submitted to the House Oversight Committee.
On June 6, 2012, Judicial Watch sued the ATF seeking access to records detailing communications between ATF officials and Kevin O’Reilly, former Obama White House Director of North American Affairs at the U.S. National Security Council.
On September 5, 2013, Judicial Watch sued the DOJ seeking access to all records of communications between DOJ and the House Oversight Committee relating to settlement discussions in the Committee’s 2012 contempt of Congress lawsuit against Holder. The contempt citation stemmed from Holder’s refusal to turn over documents to Congress related to the Fast and Furious gunrunning scandal.
On May 28, 2014, Judicial Watch sued the DOJ on behalf of ATF Special Agent John Dodson, who blew the whistle on Operation Fast and Furious and was then subjected to an alleged smear campaign designed to destroy his reputation.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/federal-court-denies-doj-motion-delay-orders-release-fast-furious-documents-list-judicial-watch-october-22/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:15:46 pm by mystery-ak »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

Does anyone here really believe DOj will turn over those documents?

Offline andy58-in-nh

Rush just suggested it might be Al Sharpton.   ^-^

I'd support that idea just for the hours of raucous entertainment it would create at his Senate conformation hearing. Don't forget to bring your bullhorn, Al.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline andy58-in-nh

Not without a fight. But it will be interesting to watch.  :pop41:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Not without a fight. But it will be interesting to watch.  :pop41:

They have been fighting it for years now and have finally lost hence Eric Holder exits stage left!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

After the election... sure.

Before the election... no way...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/25/contempt-congress-case-will-proceed-without-holder/print/

Holder contempt case to go on without him

Opponent says timing of resignation no coincidence
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Updated: 12:45 p.m. on Thursday, September 25, 2014

The contempt of Congress case against Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. — the first sitting Cabinet member ever to face such a congressional rebuke — will continue even after his resignation takes effect, but it's unlikely he will ever face personal punishment, legal analysts said Thursday.

Mr. Holder, is expected to announce his resignation later Thursday, and Tom Fitton, president of Judicial Watch, said the timing is not accidental: A federal judge earlier this week ruled that the Justice Department will have to begin submitting documents next month related to the botched Fast and Furious gun operation in a case brought by Judicial Watch.

"I don't think it's any coincidence he's resigning as the courts are ruling the Fast and Furious information has to be released," Mr. Fitton told The Washington Times.

Mr. Holder has served since the beginning of the Obama administration, and has been at the center of many of the controversies of President Obama's tenure, including the investigation into the IRS's targeting of tea party groups, the push for stricter gun controls, decisions on enforcing drug laws, thorny race-laced cases ranging from local crimes to voter-identification laws, and defending Mr. Obama's recess appointments, which were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court earlier this year.

Most recently his appearance in Ferguson, Missouri, helped calm a community that had been wracked with days of protests and sometimes violent clashes between police and residents enraged over the shooting death of a black man by a white officer.

In Washington, his clashes with Congress have been bitter, with many Democrats praising him for taking steps to advance Mr. Obama's agenda and Republicans accusing him of ignoring or subverting the law.

Two years ago the House voted 255-67 — with 17 Democrats joining the GOP — to hold Mr. Holder in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over documents from the Fast and Furious operation.

The House oversight committee had sought the documents, saying they would shed light on who knew about the botched operation, which saw federal agents knowingly let guns be sold to traffickers. Hundreds of those guns turned up at crime scenes in Mexico, and two were found at the site where U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed in Arizona.

The Justice Department turned over documents related to the operation, but has refused to release documents showing the department's own handling after a top official sent a letter saying agents never knowingly allowed guns to walk. The department later had to officially retract that claim.

Efforts to reach an agreement on sharing the documents failed, and the House GOP moved ahead with the contempt citation.

The Obama administration said it would not prosecute Mr. Holder because of a long-standing policy that it not pursue contempt cases against individuals when the White House has made a claim of executive privilege.

But in this case, that claim didn't come until just days before the House vote, Mr. Fitton said.

"The dirty secret was that Obama swooped in and in an unprecedented way asserted executive privilege over these documents which the Justice Department used as an excuse not to prosecute him," Mr. Fitton said.

After he leaves office, the fight over the documents will continue, but Mr. Holder himself is likely safe from any fallout, analysts said.

"The suit is in his official capacity so I think the new AG whoever that is will be substituted as defendant in the suit under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It should have no bearing on his departure or his life after his service as AG," said Stanley M. Brand, a former general counsel to the House who specializes in defending witnesses facing government investigations.

For his part, Mr. Holder has expressed anger at the contempt case, and said he believed it was driven by the National Rifle Association. The NRA, whose releases a congressional scorecard deemed to be powerful in swaying lawmakers' votes, had announced it was scoring the contempt vote.

In a hearing earlier this year, when Rep. Louie Gohmert, Texas Republican, accused Mr. Holder of taking the citation lightly, Mr. Holder bristled.

"You don't want to go there, buddy," he replied. "You don't want to go there, OK?"
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"I don't think it's any coincidence he's resigning as the courts are ruling the Fast and Furious information has to be released," Mr. Fitton told The Washington Times.

And I completely agree!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

I would almost be willing to bet that Eric Holder's hard drive "crashed" last week.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It is obvious the Justice Department should be reformed, different organization chart, etc.

I don't like the FBI reporting to the politically appointed cabinet secretary for instance.

Congress could press for changes during Obama's upcoming final two years, when hopefully they have both houses, and ability to cite abuses and conflict of interest.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln