Author Topic: Updated: Navy pilot missing after F/A-18s crash in Pacific; other pilot in fair condition  (Read 1025 times)

rangerrebew

Updated: Navy pilot missing after F/A-18s crash in Pacific; other pilot in fair condition
Sep. 12, 2014 - 02:11PM   |   

By Jeff Schogol
Staff writer

The Navy continues to search for the pilot of one of two F/A-18C Hornets from the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson that crashed in the Western Pacific Ocean on Friday, according to a Navy news release.

The planes from Carrier Air Wing 17 went down about 250 nautical miles west of Wake Island at 5:40 a.m. local time on Friday, according to the Navy. Initial reports indicate that the fighters are assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 and Strike Fighter Squadron 113.

One of the pilots was quickly recovered and is now getting medical attention. He has been listed in fair condition, according to the Navy. Neither of the planes has been recovered. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Search efforts for the missing pilot are being conducted by the cruiser Bunker Hill, the destroyer Gridley and helicopters from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 15 and Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 73.

The Vinson carrier strike group, comprising about 6,200 sailors, departed San Diego Aug. 22 for a deployment to the 5th Fleet and Central Command areas of responsibility. It is scheduled to replace the carrier George H,W, Bush, which is now in the Persian Gulf.

The Bush has been launching airstrikes against Islamic State militants in Iraq.

In addition to the four squadrons named, other aviation squadrons of CVW-17 include: Strike Fighter Squadron 22, VFA-81, Electronic Attack Squadron 139, Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 116 and Fleet Logistic Support Squadron 30.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140912/NEWS/309120043/Updated-Navy-pilot-missing-after-F-18s-crash-Pacific-other-pilot-fair-condition
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:32:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline flowers

Isn't it kinda strange that 2 went down at the same time?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Isn't it kinda strange that 2 went down at the same time?

It is. I do have a mild suspicion they were livening things up with a bit of hotdogging (strictly against regs) and just got too close to each other. Flying patrol is rather boring.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

It is. I do have a mild suspicion they were livening things up with a bit of hotdogging (strictly against regs) and just got too close to each other. Flying patrol is rather boring.
Well that makes more sense than anything else. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Well that makes more sense than anything else.

Seems to be the only reasonable explanation.

Two planes failing at once - so improbable it's not worth thinking about.
Bad batch of fuel - they'd have come down a lot sooner.
Shot down - they'd have reported incoming at once.

Only other possible rational explanation is contaminated oxygen, but that is checked incredibly carefully.

Offline flowers

Seems to be the only reasonable explanation.

Two planes failing at once - so improbable it's not worth thinking about.
Bad batch of fuel - they'd have come down a lot sooner.
Shot down - they'd have reported incoming at once.

Only other possible rational explanation is contaminated oxygen, but that is checked incredibly carefully.
my first thought was suicide pact.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
my first thought was suicide pact.

Very unlikely. Most pilots are a touch insane, they have to be, but they'll do their damnedest not to hurt their planes unless it's needed.