Author Topic: Petraeus backs Obama on ISIL  (Read 554 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Petraeus backs Obama on ISIL
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=1D1C6F57-7064-4C97-A38E-B4954D76A57D

Petraeus backs Obama on ISIL
By: Associated Press
September 12, 2014 12:11 AM EDT

DENVER — President Barack Obama’s decision to intensify the fight against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria is a good starting point and could succeed, retired Gen. David Petraeus said Thursday.

Speaking at a 9/11 commemoration in Denver, Petraeus said Obama made a forceful case for battling militants who control large parts of the two nations.

Obama said Wednesday he was authorizing U.S. airstrikes inside Syria and expanded strikes in Iraq. He also again asked Congress to authorize a program to train and arm Syrian rebels who are fighting both Islamic State militants and forces of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

“I thought that the president made a very strong statement last night about the threat posed by ISIL, a very compelling argument about the need to combat that threat, and a good point of departure,” Petraeus said, using one of the acronyms for the Islamic State group.

With a new unity government in place in Iraq and American air power overhead, Iraqi security forces can put up an effective fight, despite the desertions and retreats they suffered when the militants were advancing, he said.

“Do not underestimate the Iraqi security forces,” he said. Some of their problems were political and were resolved with the new government.

The Islamic State militants do not have strong local support in Iraq and their strength should not be over-rated, he said.

Petraeus said the current crisis in Iraq is serious but not as desperate as the situation in December 2006, when Petraeus commanded a buildup in U.S. forces ordered by then-President George W. Bush.

The situation in Syria is different, he said, with no unified army to push the Islamic State fighters back under the cover of U.S. fighter jets. Petraeus did not comment on the proposal to arm Syrian rebels.

Asked whether the Islamic State militants hoped to draw the U.S. into greater involvement by beheading two American journalists, Petraeus said, “If someone has a death wish, he’s expressed it quite effectively.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Petraeus backs Obama on ISIL
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »
The WH must have a lot of damaging shit on Petraeus...what a disappointment he turned out to be..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »
The WH must have a lot of damaging shit on Petraeus...what a disappointment he turned out to be..
yes siree.....I think Petraeus was busy having his own back on many things........ :smokin:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:48 pm »

Ditto on both comments.

I used to have a lot of respect for Petraeus.

ISIS in Iraq not as bad as 2006??  Surely you jest, David!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »
"Betrayus" turned out to be pretty accurate after all.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »
oh boy that sure did turn out to be correct..............

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »

Yeah............... only the betrayal went the opposite way.....    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »
"Could" is not the same as "will" and, quite frequently, is a waffle word used to hide the speaker's belief that "won't" is really the correct answer.