Author Topic: Giancarlo Stanton Hit By Pitch in Face [Miami Marlins]  (Read 870 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Giancarlo Stanton Hit By Pitch in Face [Miami Marlins]
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:35 am »
Giancarlo Stanton HBP in face

Miami Marlins star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton suffered facial lacerations requiring stitches, multiple facial fractures and dental damage after being struck under his left eye by a pitch from Mike Fiers in a 4-2 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Stanton was driven off the field in an ambulance after being hit in the face by a pitch in the fifth inning.

The Marlins announced Stanton suffered a laceration and was undergoing X-rays and a CT scan. But Marlins manager Mike Redmond acknowledged after the game that he was not optimistic about the extent of the injury.

"We've lost our MVP," Redmond said. "It doesn't look good."

Stanton immediately fell to the ground after being hit by Fiers' 88 mph fastball. Trainers from both teams came to his assistance, and he was placed on a backboard and then a stretcher.

Stanton's father was at the game and came on the field while his son was treated, then left with him in the ambulance.

The umpires ruled that Stanton swung at the pitch, setting up an 0-2 count. Reed Johnson pinch hit for Stanton and was hit in the hand by Fiers' next pitch. Casey McGehee was in the on-deck circle and starting yelling at Fiers, and both benches and bullpens emptied.

There was some pushing and shoving, but it did not appear any punches were thrown. When order was restored, the umpires ejected McGehee and Redmond.

more at:  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11510777/giancarlo-stanton-miami-marlins-hit-face-pitch-exits-stretcher
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Re: Giancarlo Stanton Hit By Pitch in Face [Miami Marlins]
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »
A lot of that going around ...
Chase Headley takes fastball to jaw
Updated: September 12, 2014, 1:24 AM ET
By  Andrew Marchand | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- After being beaned in the jaw by a 96 mph fastball, New York Yankees third baseman Chase Headley did not travel with the team Thursday night for the start of its day-night doubleheader in Baltimore on Friday. Instead, Headley went to the hospital for a series of tests, including a facial X-ray, manager Joe Girardi said.

The Yankees did not immediately have a diagnosis.

Facing lefty Jake McGee, Headley took the fastball right off his chin. He remained on the ground for minutes. The Yankees' team trainers came out, and, in a rare sight, the team doctor, Chris Ahmad, also made his way onto the field. Headley eventually walked off.

"It is extremely scary," Girardi said after the Yankees beat McGee and the Rays 5-4 on Chris Young's game-winning three-run homer.

Although Headley was bleeding, Girardi said he did not think Headley would need stitches. All of Headley's teeth also are intact, the manager said. Girardi said they will watch for any concussion symptoms. ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:03:00 pm »
Fiers should be fined and suspended for hitting Reed Johnson.  The boy needs some time to get better control of his pitches.

On the other hand, after what his pitch did to Stanton, he may never be worth a damn as a pitcher ever again. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
Fiers should be fined and suspended for hitting Reed Johnson.  The boy needs some time to get better control of his pitches.

On the other hand, after what his pitch did to Stanton, he may never be worth a damn as a pitcher ever again.

I agree about the fines and suspensions...IF, in the judgment of the home plate umpire, the pitch was thrown intentionally.

For example, Bartolo Colon (NY METS) hit two batters last evening.  Both times after a ball went over the fence for a HR.

Thankfully, Jason Werth (RF-Nationals) didn't react.  He took one up high on his arm near the shoulder and although he did step once toward the mound, seemed to collect his thoughts and just walked to 1st base.

The ump...with no warning given..threw Colon out of the game.  Of course, right after what seemed like a calm discussion, the METS' manager was also tossed.

Later, a NATS pitcher clunked somebody and the ump gave warnings to both benches.

The Nationals have won twelve straight games in New York and have a remarkable 24-4 record being them in NY.

Soon as I saw Stanton crumble, I thought of Tony Conigliaro of the Boston Red Sox...whose career ended that day.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »
Soon as I saw Stanton crumble, I thought of Tony Conigliaro of the Boston Red Sox...whose career ended that day.

Not only did that pitch end Conigliaro's career, but Jack Hamilton, the pitcher who hit him, saw his career decline too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hamilton_%28baseball%29
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »
Thanks for that tidbit, Sink!   Didn't know the details of that.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »
I agree about the fines and suspensions...IF, in the judgment of the home plate umpire, the pitch was thrown intentionally.

For example, Bartolo Colon (NY METS) hit two batters last evening.  Both times after a ball went over the fence for a HR.

Thankfully, Jason Werth (RF-Nationals) didn't react.  He took one up high on his arm near the shoulder and although he did step once toward the mound, seemed to collect his thoughts and just walked to 1st base.

The ump...with no warning given..threw Colon out of the game.  Of course, right after what seemed like a calm discussion, the METS' manager was also tossed.

Later, a NATS pitcher clunked somebody and the ump gave warnings to both benches.

The Nationals have won twelve straight games in New York and have a remarkable 24-4 record being them in NY.

dang Colon is still pitching in the majors?  how is he doing these days?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:55:51 pm »

Not only did that pitch end Conigliaro's career, but Jack Hamilton, the pitcher who hit him, saw his career decline too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hamilton_%28baseball%29

I will never forget that baseball moment.  What a pennant race between the Red Sox, Tigers, Twins and White Sox.  I was a diehard Tigers fan at the time - Al Kaline remains my favorite player of all time.  Ah yes, simpler times. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:48 pm »
I will never forget that baseball moment. 
Me too. So scary.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:23:34 pm »

When I played during my teens, the most overpowering pitcher we had was a tall lefthander who blazed it in.

He later killed his younger brother, hitting him in the head with a pitched baseball.  I do not think throwing at batters is "part of the game."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:20 pm »
I will never forget that baseball moment.  What a pennant race between the Red Sox, Tigers, Twins and White Sox.  I was a diehard Tigers fan at the time - Al Kaline remains my favorite player of all time.  Ah yes, simpler times.

:beer:  Simpler times, indeed.   No computers or cell phones. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:16:21 pm »
When I played during my teens, the most overpowering pitcher we had was a tall lefthander who blazed it in.

He later killed his younger brother, hitting him in the head with a pitched baseball.  I do not think throwing at batters is "part of the game."

If it's done in retaliation of your teammate getting beaned....I'm all for it.

In the American League, I wish the pitcher had to bat...although picking on their respective franchise player or MVP, sends the message.