Author Topic: Syrian villagers recount terror of seeping yellow gas attacks  (Read 529 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Syrian villagers recount terror of seeping yellow gas attacks
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:09 am »
The Hague (AFP) - Chilling accounts of villagers fleeing a seeping yellow gas that withered everything in its path have emerged from testimony gathered by investigators probing chlorine attacks in Syria.

The detailed narrative of the attacks by gas-filled barrel bombs dropped from helicopters, as recently as two weeks ago, comes from a report by a fact-finding team of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), obtained by AFP.

"In courtyards, domesticated birds and animals died, and leaves on plants facing the point of impact withered and wilted 'as autumn leaves,'" said the report, dated Wednesday, which confirmed the systematic use of chlorine as a weapon in war-torn Syria.

The team interviewed 37 victims, medical staff and witnesses of the April attacks in northern Syria. These bombings were different from the high-explosive blasts the villagers were used to.

"When dropped, a piercing heavy, whistling sound -- some comparing it to that of a fighter jet in a dive -- would be heard before the barrel hit the ground," making a noise "more akin to high-impact crashes rather than to loud explosions", the report said.

"A dense, honey wax-to-yellow" gas then rose from where the bombs landed, survivors said.

"The cloud would rise to a height of approximately 60 to 70 metres (around 210 feet) and then settle, moving along the ground in the direction of the wind."

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-villagers-recount-terror-seeping-yellow-gas-attacks-095348022.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Syrian villagers recount terror of seeping yellow gas attacks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:23 am »
I still don't understand why Assad would be dropping gas on these villages, what is the reason?  It makes more sense to me that some other group could be doing it to make it look like Assad is doing it.  Not that I don't think he would be capable of it.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:28 am »
I still don't understand why Assad would be dropping gas on these villages, what is the reason?  It makes more sense to me that some other group could be doing it to make it look like Assad is doing it.  Not that I don't think he would be capable of it.

Chemical Weapons have a long term psychological effect on a population. He wants them so frightened what will be falling from the skies kind of a chemophobia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121425/
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kcmhr/publications/assetfiles/cbrn/Jones2008-psychologicaleffectsofchemicalweapons.pdf
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:55:14 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:40 am »
Chemical Weapons have a long term psychological effect on a population. He wants them so frightened what will be falling from the skies kind of a chemophobia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121425/
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kcmhr/publications/assetfiles/cbrn/Jones2008-psychologicaleffectsofchemicalweapons.pdf

So Assad could have dropped them to frighten the people from starting up rebel groups against him?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:07 am »
It could be either. Lets face it, anyone can make chlorine bombs. If it were the rebels trying to make Assad look bad, they wouldn't even have to steal any.

If it was Assad, the rebels were probably using the civilians as shields, yet again. That's not just a Hammas tactic.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:09:16 am »
So Assad could have dropped them to frighten the people from starting up rebel groups against him?

I have not heard too much of the Syrian rebellion in the past couple months.ISIS has taken the steam out of that. Any airstrikes against ISIS might end up helping Assad. The US is dealing with the devil

http://theconversation.com/airstrikes-on-is-in-syrias-backyard-are-high-risk-if-assad-objects-31619
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:12:56 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:13:07 am »
It could be either. Lets face it, anyone can make chlorine bombs. If it were the rebels trying to make Assad look bad, they wouldn't even have to steal any.

If it was Assad, the rebels were probably using the civilians as shields, yet again. That's not just a Hammas tactic.

So many different groups and Obama is going to arm some of them.  How long before it all ends up in the hands of ISIS?

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:17:30 am »
So many different groups and Obama is going to arm some of them.  How long before it all ends up in the hands of ISIS?

They have already US equipment from the "Iraqi Army" when the dropped their ordinance and ran when they first confronted ISIS.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:19:18 am by Trigger »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:22:00 am »
They have already US equipment from the "Iraqi Army" when the dropped their ordinance and ran when they first confronted ISIS.

This is a disaster.  Thanks Obama!

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:07 am »
This is a disaster.  Thanks Obama!
Its a bigger disaster that they raided the depots where the weapons were stored. From bullets to rocket fired weapons. Its a question how they are able to maintain them.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/17/isis-moving-seized-us-tanks-humvees-to-syria/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:51:45 am by Trigger »