Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>Obama Addresses The Nation...9pm est  (Read 6354 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: LIVE THREAD>>>Obama Addresses The Nation...9pm est
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2014, 01:41:44 am »
Ed Morrissey ‏@EdMorrissey 17m

For those criticizing "ISIL is not Islamic," it might do to look at a map & note what religion our only possible effective allies have.
Expand

Ed Morrissey ‏@EdMorrissey 10m

@QuinHillyer Bush said the same thing, repeatedly, about al-Qaeda in order to keep Muslim allies on board.
Expand

Quin Hillyer ‏@QuinHillyer 59s

@EdMorrissey Bush was wrong, too.
Expand

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:42 am »
Brad Dayspring ‏@BDayspring 10s

For the last few years, Jay Carney has stood at the podium and talked over people. On CNN right now, John McCain is having none of it.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:17 am »
He looked like he was about to ask:  "How was that?" and slouch off chewing gum.   **nononono*

"There ... That oughtta hold ya."

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:38 am »
jimgeraghty ‏@jimgeraghty 1m

"We have no specific intel of ISIS threats against the homeland." But… then there's this kind of stuff on Twitter.

Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2014, 01:50:38 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/09/10/five-takeaways-from-president-obamas-islamic-state-speech/

The Fix
Five takeaways from President Obama’s Islamic State speech
By Chris Cillizza September 10 at 9:45 PM

President Obama delivered a rare primetime address Wednesday night, laying out his strategy for dealing with the growing threat posed by the Islamic State. The speech will be picked through -- and apart -- for days and weeks (and maybe even years) but I jotted down a few of my immediate takeaways. They are below. You can -- and should -- read the full text of Obama's remarks here.

* The Reassurer-in-chief: Obama opened the speech with what amounted to a rundown of his foreign policy/national security successes including the killing of Osama bin-Laden and the ending of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. "Thanks to our military and counterterrorism professionals, America is safer," Obama said, in what will surely be one of the most quoted -- and debated -- lines of the speech.  Of course, by asserting that the country is safer, Obama inevitably begs the question of why he is asking for the public support for a military action against a terrorist group.

* ISIL, 101: The President clearly grasped that most Americans have no idea what ISIS/ISIL/Islamic state really is or why they pose a real threat to us. "They execute captured prisoners," Obama said of the group. "They kill children. They enslave, rape, and force women into marriage."  This sort of stakes-setting is absolutely necessary when it comes to selling the American public on what the president promised would be a "comprehensive and sustained" fight against the Islamic State.  Obama knows just how war-weary Americans  are -- it's why he led with all he had accomplished to end the wars -- and how high a bar they now hold for any American involvement abroad.

* This is not Iraq. This is not Iraq. This is not Iraq.: Hovering over the entirety of Obama's speech was his insistence that this conflict in no way, shape or form resembled what happened during the Iraq war. Twice he emphasized that there would not ever be American combat troops fighting in Iraq. He carefully described the fight against the Islamic State as a "counter-terrorism campaign", not a war or even an armed conflict. And he cast it as consistent with the actions has taken in the past; "this strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years," Obama said.

* I'll do it myself -- if I need to:  Obama made clear that he believes he already has all the authority he needs to pursue the strategy he laid out tonight against the Islamic State. But he also made clear he'd like to have Congress behind him if at all possible.  "I believe we are strongest as a nation when the President and Congress work together," he said at one point. He didn't shy away though from some direct lobbying for Congress to get behind him; "I again call on Congress to give us additional authorities and resources to train and equip these fighters," Obama said.

* America is #1: The closing moments of Obama's speech, which were noticeably free -- or close to it -- of the sort of soaring oration his allies love and his detractors loathe, was essentially a paean to American exceptionalism. "America is better positioned today to seize the future than any other nation on Earth," Obama said as he began his close. He went on to note the exceptional role the U.S. had played in beating back an ever-aggressive Russia, our country's work to contain Ebola and the U.S.'s key contribution to ridding Syria of chemical weapons. "America, our endless blessings bestow an enduring burden," Obama insisted, a line -- and a sentiment -- that Ronald Reagan would have loved.
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2014, 01:50:41 am »
Some thoughts from Ted Cruz:

This was fundamentally unserious
Obama should have said ISIS has declared war on America, killing two journalists and promising to take jihad to our nation
ISIS is not a regional threat

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2014, 01:51:14 am »
"There ... That oughtta hold ya."

Exactly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2014, 02:02:09 am »
Joe's Law ‏@JoeNYLaw 5m

What we learned tonight: 1- Obama is proud of withdrawing from Iraq thus causing mass destruction & genocide and 2- 'ISIL' is not Islamic.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:20 am »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:50 am »
Josh Jordan ‏@NumbersMuncher 59s

CNN live panel during speech -- Independents tracked almost in lockstep with Republicans during Obama speech. Only Dems are buying it now.
Support the USO

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2014, 02:07:20 am »
In case anyone wants to watch it again  :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIWGoNZnaU

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:26 am »
Patrick Dollard ‏@PatDollard 48m

WATCH - Ed Schultz Joins Chris Matthews In Calling For All-Out, Boots-On-The-Ground War In Iraq
http://patdollard.com/2014/09/ed-schultz-joins-chris-matthews-in-calling-for-full-blown-boots-on-the-ground-war-in-iraq/
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:44 am »
Darrell Issa ‏@DarrellIssa 1m

Rhetoric doesn't win wars. If POTUS is prepared to seek Congressional authorization for action against #ISIS, I'm prepared to give it to him
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:33 am »
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro 47m

Mr. President, we are all more ignorant for having spent that 15 minutes with you.

ditto
Support the USO

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:02 am »
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro 47m

Mr. President, we are all more ignorant for having spent that 15 minutes with you.

ditto

LOL that is a good one!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:48 am »
http://allenbwest.com/2014/09/obamas-isis-plan-outsourcing-us-national-security-chaotic-world/

Obama’s ISIS plan: Outsourcing US national security in a chaotic world
Written by Allen West on September 10, 2014

I just finished listening to President Obama delivering his strategy for dealing with ISIS and my summation of what Obama stated is simply: “Outsourcing US National Security in a Chaotic World.”

Lots of you here aren’t career military combat warriors, so let me explain why this speech made no sense. Obama said that we are committed to a counter-terrorism strategy and a systematic campaign — but then Obama stated there will be no U.S. combat mission on the ground — although he is deploying another 475 on top of the almost 1,000 troops there now. Folks, you cannot win a counter-terrorism operation without a combat force – it certainly cannot be won from the air.

And what Obama didn’t explain was who will coordinate close air support for these “coalition” partners on the ground — and of course Obama just recently derided the Free Syrian Army as being “doctors, farmers, and pharmacists.” Our air strikes — and you must understand 150 strikes over a one month period is not a dedicated air campaign — have to be targeted and that means SOFLAM (Special Operations Forces Laser Acquired Munitions) but if there are no American combat troops, none on the ground, then who is doing this critical mission? You cannot destroy a force from 30,000 feet with air power only.

Obama just had to state that this is not going to be another Iraq or Afghanistan. Well, let’s look at that. In Afghanistan a small American force of 600 Special Operators and CIA operatives along with the Northern Alliance routed a Taliban Army of 70,000 along with another 5,000 Al-Qaida enemy forces. That was a successful model which could be used here, but Obama told us again what he was not willing to do.

Now we are going to put our national security trust in surrogate forces? And we’re supposed to send in more trainers for the Iraq Army? Heck, if Obama had supported the generals on the ground and fought to leave a residual force in Iraq, we would have had the trainers there and wouldn’t be in this position! So now we have to go back in because of his ideological intransigence and “redo” it all over again and try to rebuild the relationships, which have now been broken — as many Sunni tribesmen have enjoined ISIS.

And to state that ISIS is not Islamic? You have to be kidding me. ISIS stands for, first word, “Islamic.” Obama continues to deny and refuse to define the enemy, and that folks is not helpful.

President Obama stated that America is safer — but not according to recent American polling — and certainly not reflected by the beheadings of two Americans, Foley and Sotloff.

Obama borrowed the “no safe haven” phrase from George W. Bush. And in a comparative analysis of coalition building ability, George W. Bush had 37 countries in 2003, but so far Obama only has 9 — and as we reported, one of them is Turkey and they’re already waffling about not joining unless we restrain support to the Kurdish Peshmerga Army — a core element of this strategy.

I was glad to hear Obama state that he would cut off funding — I hope he goes after Qatar with a strategy we have offered here. As well, since the Saudi King Abdullah is so worried, then have him foot the bill for this operation. But, there was no reference to our domestic jihadist recruitment problem and a porous southern border that must be sealed.

Another key point Obama failed to address, as he talked about his highest priority being our security — will Obama stop the decimation of our military force, which finds itself at horribly low levels? That is why I believe Obama’s strategy is about “outsourcing” our national security as he degrades and destroys our military capability and capacity, which we have addressed here.

This is not American leadership at its best, it is American acquiescence and incompetence. You cannot destroy an enemy or conduct a counter-terrorism strategy by hoping someone else will execute it, or by air — and how are we going to increase air strikes? Will we have a dedicated air campaign with countless sorties a day?

The finish to this speech was utterly weak; full of empty rhetoric and pabulum which means nothing to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi — and it was Russia who sealed the deal to secure Syria’s declared chemical weapons.

Obama asked for our support — he certainly doesn’t secure mine, and he shouldn’t get yours either. Tonight President Barack Hussein Obama proved that polling drives his strategy, because this was supposed to be done midday.

He probably should have, since this was an utter embarrassment and a waste of time. Obama is expanding a combat operation and yet refuses to go to Congress, as George W. Bush did to make a case and secure — by vote — approval. He asked for a blank check for an ambiguous endeavor supporting surrogate forces to handle American business of destroying an enemy who he did not define, which has declared enemy against us.

I fear for my country. We are indeed rudderless amidst a maelstrom.

Support the USO

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2014, 02:14:59 am »

In case anyone wants to watch it again  :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIWGoNZnaU

LOL!  You don't have some whips and restraints, etc., in your bedroom closet, do you Tracy?      :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2014, 02:19:44 am »
LOL!  You don't have some whips and restraints, etc., in your bedroom closet, do you Tracy?      :laugh:

Who told you?  LOL 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:21:20 am by Repub4Trey »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:56 am »
LOL!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2014, 02:50:36 am »
"I fear for my country. We are indeed rudderless amidst a maelstrom."

That's a scary statement coming from someone like Allen West.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2014, 02:58:24 am »
Just posted on Twitter:
“The President said2nite that the Islamic State is not Islamic. So we're back2what the definition of IS is.”

IS is   ISIS, IS is, ISIS, IS is, ISIS............    Hmmmmmm he was more of a visionary than I gave him credit for.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:29 am »
Thanks for the thread.

What a load of tosh.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:03 am »
Luke Russert‏@LukeRussert   That being said, Obama was forceful tonight in his delivery and presentation so if you didn't process the words, it looked/sounded ok
The responses are hilarious.

David Romigh ‏@daveromigh  · 4h 
@LukeRussert in other words, if you had it on mute, it was a good speech?

DeathToTyranny ‏@PostmasterBen  · 4h 
@LukeRussert boots taste good tonight? He blamed bush, he took no responsibility for his failed policies and wants to arm terrorists.

Izzy Mercado ‏@Izzy15Mercado  · 4h 
@LukeRussert Obama sounded like he was going for a third term. We didn't need convincing. Two USA journalists were beheaded. That's enough.

TBogg ‏@tbogg  · 4h 
. @LukeRussert Luke, if you were working on your fantasy football team and  weren't paying attention, just bleep admit it, okay? It's cool

Bob ‏@bobcpcww  · 4h 
@LukeRussert but a speech of this magnitude should be more than presentation. Words and msg should count

Lindsay Griffiths ‏@LindsayGriffith  · 4h 
@LukeRussert except where he tripped over a few and it seemed like he hadn’t read the speech over first.

Lyn Evans ‏@LynEvans  · 4h 
@LukeRussert What?  Forceful?  He stood there and read a speech, with no emotion. No force.  Just a new low for an American leader.

Scott At Home ‏@Scott_at_Home  · 4h 
@LukeRussert So it's come to that? Non-English speakers liked it??  #SMDH

James Head ‏@jashead  · 4h 
@tbogg @LukeRussert  Luke, any words on the colour of the tie?

Patrick S. Harris ‏@psharrisYM  · 4h 
@LukeRussert lots of hand movement.

Ellen Vollinger ‏@emv52  · 4h 
@LukeRussert Hope you didn't mean to suggest it wasn't appropriate...

Candice Cane ‏@CandiceLen  · 4h 
@LukeRussert yeah, who needs words. Might as well just hum forcefully.

Santorum2016 ‏@ShoelessDick  · 4h 
@tbogg Shorter @LukeRussert : If you're not an English speaker, it was a pretty good speech. He made gestures and stuff. Good.

Cindy Lou North ‏@cindynorth1  · 4h 
@LukeRussert  I can't believe you have a job.

Ross Golowicz ‏@rgolowicz  · 4h 
@LukeRussert that's a great point for a lichen, i'm impressed

Steve Braunstein ‏@skinsnrugby  · 4h 
@LukeRussert Did you really just tweet that?  Really?

Luke Russert ‏@LukeRussert  · 4h 
. @skinsnrugby Believe it or not appearance & delivery important for POTUS, see '60 debates JFK won TV, Nixon on radio. So yes I did.

@LukeRussert @skinsnrugby he is no Kennedy or Nixon. More like a ford

cheerio grrrl ‏@cheeriogrrrl  · 4h 
@LukeRussert Your assessment of tonight's speech shows me exactly why #nepotism is frowned upon.

@LukeRussert also this is not a debate, this is game time @skinsnrugby

KSK(africa) ‏@lawalazu  · 3h 
@LukeRussert First, you need to ditch the cliché, "That being said." Then we may be able to process what you just tweeted. Baaaaaaaaaaah!

DeathToTyranny ‏@PostmasterBen  · 3h 
@Rickybouchard @LukeRussert @skinsnrugby so his speech was about optics and theatre?

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:03 am »
Brian Cates ‏@drawandstrike  · 42m 
That throwaway line towards the end of the speech about having 'stopped' the Russian aggression in Ukraine = very revealing.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2014, 05:48:12 am »
David Jack Smith ‏@davidjacksmith  · 4h 
You say ISIL
I say ISIS
You say JV
I say crisis.
ISIL, ISIS
Jihadi, jihardi
Let's call the whole thing golf