Author Topic: Bill Maher Crushes Charlie Rose for 'Naive and Plain Wrong' View of Islam  (Read 416 times)

rangerrebew

Bill Maher Crushes Charlie Rose for 'Naive and Plain Wrong' View of Islam

"Vast numbers of Christians do not believe that if you leave the Christian religion, you should be killed for it. Vast numbers of Christians do not treat women as second-class citizens..."

9.11.2014 |

News

| Bradford Thomas |

Bill Maher, host of HBO's "Real Time" and outspoken atheist, took PBS' Charlie Rose to task Tuesday for attempting to whitewash Islam and draw a moral equivalency between it and other religions, repeatedly calling Rose's claims "untrue" and arguing that "vast numbers" of Muslims hold extreme views.

Despite Rose's attempts to push the conversation toward political correctness, Maher argued that there's a "connecting tissue" between radical Islam and mainstream Islam. The "connecting tissue," he said are "illiberal beliefs" and the teachings of the Koran, which Rose attempted to defend, saying, "What we see with ISIS is not representative of the Islamic religion. I don't think the Koran teach them to do these kinds of things."

Maher told Rose that he's "absolutely wrong about that," adding, "The Koran absolutely has, on every page, stuff that's horrible about how the infidels should be treated."

Here's key excerpts from the exchange (transcript via RCP):

Maher: So, Howard Dean, on TV the other day – and he said...the people in ISIS...I'm about as Islamic as they are – you know, distancing the vast numbers of Islamic people around the world. That's just not true.

Rose:  It is true.

Maher: It is not true, Charlie. There is a connecting tissue between-

Rose:  You know, you behind every Muslim is a future member of some radical?...

Maher: There are illiberal beliefs that are held by vast numbers of Muslim people. But I don't think Howard-

Rose: Vast number of Christians, too-

Maher: No, no. That's not true – not true. Vast numbers of Christians do not believe that if you leave the Christian religion, you should be killed for it. Vast numbers of Christians do not treat women as second-class citizens. Vast numbers of Christians....do not believe that if you draw a picture of Jesus Christ, you should get killed for it.

So, yes, does ISIS do Khmer Rouge-like activities, where they just kill people indiscriminately who aren't just like them? Yes. And would most Muslim people in the world do that or condone that? No. But most Muslim people in the world do condone violence just for what you think.

Rose:  How do you know that?

Maher: They do. First of all, they say it. They shout it from the-

Rose:  The vast majorities of Muslims say that?

Maher: Absolutely. There's a Pew poll of Egypt done a few years ago. Eight-two percent – I think it was – said stoning is the appropriate punishment for adultery. Over 80 percent thought death was the appropriate punishment for leaving the Muslim religion. I'm sure you know these things.

Rose:  I know – well, I do. But I don't believe-

Maher: It's not religion – it's like other religions – it's just naive and plain wrong. It is not like other religions. The New York Times....pointed out, in an op-ed a couple of weeks ago, that in Saudi Arabia – just since August 4, I think it was – they have beheaded 19 people – most for non-violent crimes, including homosexuality.

Rose:  Cut the hands of the thieves.

Maher: Right. Okay, so we're upset that ISIS is beheading people – which we should be upset about – but Saudi Arabia does it and they're our good friends because they have oil.

Rose:  Right.

Maher: Okay. But they do it too. This is the center of the religion.

Rose later cited the Islamic world's general opposition to ISIS, but Maher still would not give him an inch, pointing to the widespread violence perpetrated by many Muslims populations against people of other religions and calling pespectives like Rose's "the soft bigotry of low expectation" that looks the other way when Muslims "do crazy things and believe crazy things":

Maher: But I mean, in Mecca, where infidels – non-Muslims are not even allowed in the holy parts of the city. I mean, right there, we don't have that example in other religions. Okay, they do behead people. Now, if they were beheading people in Vatican City, which is the equivalent of Mecca, don't you think there would be a bigger outcry about it? So, this is the soft bigotry of low expectation, and that we have – with Muslim people. When they do crazy things and believe crazy things, somehow it's just not talked about nearly as much....

Rose:  I do believe that – that what we see with ISIS is not representative of-

Maher: As I said, connecting tissue – no – not-

Rose:  Isn't representative of the Islamic religion-

Maher: Right. Again-

Rose: : Well, you are wrong about that. The Koran absolutely has, on every page, stuff that's horrible about how the infidels should be treated. But, for example, again, ISIS says that we should, that they should perform genital mutilation on all women 11 to 46. Would most Muslims agree with that? No. Or carry it out? No, but as I and Ayaan Hirsi Ali points out, she says-

After Rose expressed his "respect" for her and her firsthand experience of oppression under Islam, Maher returned to his point about the difference in the treatment of women in many Islamic countries and western countries:

Maher: She said, can we really say... that women are treated equally in the Muslim world? I mean, their testimony in court is very often counted as half. They need permission to leave the house in some places.

Rose:  But a lot of moderate, moderate Muslims would say in fact one of the things that we need to modernize is the idea of the way we treat women – lots of them.

Maher: But in this country, if you just use the wrong word about women, they go nuts – and all of these other countries-

Rose: As they should-

Maher: They're doing things like making them wear burqas, and I hear liberals say things like well, they want to – they want to. They've been brainwashed. You know, they don't want – it's like saying a street walker wants to do that.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/bill-maher-takes-charlie-rose-apart-whitewashing-islam

Video via MRC TV.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:26:54 am by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

Re: Bill Maher Crushes Charlie Rose for 'Naive and Plain Wrong' View of Islam
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:54:38 am »
It's hilarious listening to two liberals argue this point.

Of course, Maher hates all religions but correctly points out the dangerous difference between Islam and the rest of the sane world's religions. Rose is just an intolerably self important smug liberal what ever topic he's butchering.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »
It's hilarious listening to two liberals argue this point.

Of course, Maher hates all religions but correctly points out the dangerous difference between Islam and the rest of the sane world's religions. Rose is just an intolerably self important smug liberal what ever topic he's butchering.

It could only have been more fun had Thomas Friedman been there.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »
One thing about Maher, he's often a consistent atheist liberal calling it like it is, as opposed to the liberal fascists living by their hypocritical catechism and forcing it on all of us.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:33 pm »
I have a theory that the left's being enamored with Islam and defending it at any cost, is in fact a result of their hatred for George W. Bush and any conservative or Republican (or conservative Republican ;) who supported fighting Islamofascists.

Their hatred of the right is far greater than their hatred of America's enemies, thus they are siding with those who oppose everything they supposedly believe in rather than agree that Islamic terrorism, based indeed on the Koran, is a reality.

They support FGM as a choice, and turn their heads and ignore the treatment of homosexuals, even though they are supposedly "feminist" and pro-gay.

I agree with Free Vulcan.

At least Maher is consistent.  And in this dialogue, he makes Rose look like the non-thinking dope he really is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »
I have a theory that the left's being enamored with Islam and defending it at any cost, is in fact a result of their hatred for George W. Bush and any conservative or Republican (or conservative Republican ;) who supported fighting Islamofascists.

Their hatred of the right is far greater than their hatred of America's enemies, thus they are siding with those who oppose everything they supposedly believe in rather than agree that Islamic terrorism, based indeed on the Koran, is a reality.

They support FGM as a choice, and turn their heads and ignore the treatment of homosexuals, even though they are supposedly "feminist" and pro-gay.

I agree with Free Vulcan.

At least Maher is consistent.  And in this dialogue, he makes Rose look like the non-thinking dope he really is.

:thumbsup:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:07 pm »
Yet Maher supports Obama for president.