Author Topic: Nanny of the week: MO town bans breastfeeding near pools  (Read 767 times)

rangerrebew

Nanny of the week: MO town bans breastfeeding near pools
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »
Nanny of the week: MO town bans breastfeeding near pools

By Eric Boehm  /   September 5, 2014  /   5 Comments

By Eric Boehm | Watchdog.org

Source: Warrensburg Parks and Rec Facebook Page

PUPPIES IN THE POOL: The town of Warrensburg, Missouri, allows dogs in the town pool. But breastfeeding mothers can’t be nearby because of worries about sanitation.

Mothers in Missouri are allowed to breastfeed their children in public, provided they use as much discretion as possible — unless they’re near a public pool in the town of Warrensburg.

City officials there aren’t stepping down in the face of a new state law that gives mothers greater protections to breastfeed in public. The town’s parks board says breastfeeding isn’t allowed near the pool because of “concern for the general sanitation of the aquatic facilities,” according to the local newspaper website.

That’s right — they want to keep the town pool as clean as possible, because the children and dogs who play in it need a pristine environment.

Wait, did I say dogs play in the pool?

Well, yes, they do.

The Warrensburg Park and Rec Board posted pictures to its Facebook page Aug. 15 from its “Doggie Dive” event, which allowed the canine population to cool off by splashing and swimming in the pool.

From the looks of it, the puppies had a great time.

But that raises some obvious questions for the board. Questions like: why aren’t they as concerned about the “general sanitation of the aquatic facilities” when there are dogs swimming in the pool, as they are when there are mothers breastfeeding near the pool?

Questions like: Isn’t it more likely that dogs (and children, for that matter) will pee in the pool than it is that breastfeeding mothers will somehow contaminate the water?

We put in a call to the parks board, but so far haven’t heard anything from them.

For now, just chalk this up to the confusing logic at the heart of every nanny state.

The issue came to light because a new Missouri state law gives additional legal protections to breastfeeding mothers. Basically, the law ensures they cannot be charged with indecent exposure while trying to feed their babies.

It doesn’t seem likely Warrensburg would want to file criminal charges against breastfeeding moms, but even so the logic of the policy is questionable at best.

For allowing concern over sanitation at the town pool to trump sanity, the Warrensburg Parks and Rec Board is this week’s nanny of the week. Their prize is a — oh, jeez, someone get Timmy out of the pool right now, he’s peeing everywhere!!

http://watchdog.org/168984/nanny-breastfeeding-moms-dogs/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:58:12 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline olde north church

Re: Nanny of the week: MO town bans breastfeeding near pools
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:09:19 pm »
I really don't want some housefrau flopping a knocker out of her top to feed some rug rat while I'm trying to catch some rays.  Thanks peeps for keeping the common in "common sense"!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:13:18 pm »
I really don't want some housefrau flopping a knocker out of her top to feed some rug rat while I'm trying to catch some rays.  Thanks peeps for keeping the common in "common sense"!

Yeah, breastfeeding is disgusting and unnatural! Eww, a baby, and a BOOB! What kind of sick harlot feeds her child in public instead of hiding in the privacy of her own home? The kid can wait.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:23:54 pm »
Yeah, breastfeeding is disgusting and unnatural! Eww, a baby, and a BOOB! What kind of sick harlot feeds her child in public instead of hiding in the privacy of her own home? The kid can wait.

<unshun>

So there's nary a problem with public urination?  Whip it out, let fly?  It's only natural.

<shun>

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:50 pm »
<unshun>

So there's nary a problem with public urination?  Whip it out, let fly?  It's only natural.

<shun>

Public urination doesn't bother me personally, but nonetheless there's a difference between whipping your junk out and peeing where everybody can see you and a mother partially exposing a breast to feed her young child when it is hungry.
-Socrates

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:33:04 pm »
Public urination doesn't bother me personally, but nonetheless there's a difference between whipping your junk out and peeing where everybody can see you and a mother partially exposing a breast to feed her young child when it is hungry.

<unshun>

Behind a bush or well-placed Oldsmobile for either shouldn't ruin anybody's day.

<shun>

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:35:37 pm »
<unshun>

Behind a bush or well-placed Oldsmobile for either shouldn't ruin anybody's day.

<shun>

Why would seeing a baby feed on breast milk and possibly noticing part of the exposed breast ruin your day? A mother shouldn't have to hide something that is not sexual or disgusting in any way.
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »
Public urination doesn't bother me personally...

Attaboy Dex...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 06:42:04 pm »
Attaboy Dex...

As always your comments are tearing at the seams with intellectual insight and perspective.
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »
As always your comments are tearing at the seams with intellectual insight and perspective.

Said the guy talking about public urination...   

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:51:48 pm »
Said the guy talking about public urination...

Said the guy that apparently doesn't realize it was somebody else that brought public urination into a conversation about breastfeeding.
-Socrates

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:42 pm »
Said the guy that apparently doesn't realize it was somebody else that brought public urination into a conversation about breastfeeding.

Said the guy who wouldn't recognize a sarcastic comment if it whizzed on his leg.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
Said the guy who wouldn't recognize a sarcastic comment if it whizzed on his leg.

Your sarcastic comment was used to compare breastfeeding to public urination. You should make sure you're not the one who is actually clueless.
-Socrates

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »
Your sarcastic comment was used to compare breastfeeding to public urination. You should make sure you're not the one who is actually clueless.

I'm well aware of what feminism hath wrought.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

Ah... it's somebody else's fault.

Got it...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »
Who let the loonies out? Breast feeding is not the same or even analogous to urination.

I'd rather see a woman breastfeeding her baby near a swimming pool than jump in that pool when it's most recently been populated by dogs.  Or children, for that matter, because you know darn well they've peed in it.

But why would a woman take a child of such young age to the pool anyway?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »
Who let the loonies out? Breast feeding is not the same or even analogous to urination.

I'd rather see a woman breastfeeding her baby near a swimming pool than jump in that pool when it's most recently been populated by dogs.  Or children, for that matter, because you know darn well they've peed in it.

Loonies?  Not analogous?

Why don't you google the topic some time and look at the debate.  Does not think like me is NOT equal to I am correct.  I've known many people of both sexes who have had to take time to tinkle at an inopportune moment.  Again, not out in full view but ducked behind an obstruction.
It's never the beautiful people who engage in public displays of nudity, for pleasure or practicality.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 07:42:20 pm »

Older children who want to swim?

I'm not a fan of public breast-feeding, but banning feeding a child and not a dog romping in water where small children are playing is a bit bizarre.

(As is most of the discussion on this thread.  :smokin: )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
Older children who want to swim?

I'm not a fan of public breast-feeding, but banning feeding a child and not a dog romping in water where small children are playing is a bit bizarre.

(As is most of the discussion on this thread.  :smokin: )

Are there no bottles in this MO town?  For a few hours on one day you shove a bottle in kid's trap or is this compulsive breastfeeder the type who wants to be there every day sunrise to sundown?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:08 pm »
Are there no bottles in this MO town?  For a few hours on one day you shove a bottle in kid's trap or is this compulsive breastfeeder the type who wants to be there every day sunrise to sundown?
Yeah, that's what it is.    **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
chill out people.

with all due respect, it is rather ludicrous to claim public sanitation as an excuse here when you have dogs in the pool, and dogs, as some might not know, cannot read the "don't pee in the pool" signs, and even if they could, probably wouldn't care anyways.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:07 am »

Compulsive breastfeeder??

My guess is that you've never done it, and don't understand the process (at all), which is causing your rather odd rhetoric here......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Dexter

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 12:46:25 am »
Compulsive breastfeeder??

My guess is that you've never done it, and don't understand the process (at all), which is causing your rather odd rhetoric here......

:thumbsup:

-Socrates

Offline musiclady