Author Topic: The 2,128 Native American Mascots People Aren’t Talking About  (Read 443 times)

rangerrebew

The 2,128 Native American Mascots People Aren’t Talking About
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »
Mascots   6:00 AM Sep 5, 2014

The 2,128 Native American Mascots People Aren’t Talking About

By Hayley Munguia   

When Samuel Henry was a kid growing up in D.C. in the late 1950s, he and his friends were devoted Washington Redskins fans — they had the jerseys and knew the lore. And as the lore had it, the “reddish-brown tint” of paint on the team’s downtown D.C. headquarters came from the blood of Native Americans. “When I was a kid, me and my friends, we really thought that they had captured and killed Native Americans and pasted them all over the building,” Henry said. “We were just kids, we didn’t know any better. But we really, honestly believed that.”

Now, almost 60 years later, the Redskins are enmeshed in a debate about whether their name is a racist epithet and should be changed. Advocates for keeping the name reference its origins: In 1937, owner George Preston Marshall changed the team name from the Braves to the Redskins. Marshall said the change was in honor of the head coach at the time, William Henry Dietz, who claimed to be part Sioux (although that claim is suspect). Critics including Henry say its origins are irrelevant and that the name is racist and demeaning. “I’d love to see a boycott of all things Redskins,” he said.

Dan Snyder, the current owner, purchased the team in 1999, when it was fighting its first legal battle over the name. The lawsuits have continued, and earlier this year, the Trademark Trials and Appeal Board canceled the franchise trademark because “a substantial composite of Native Americans found the term Redskins to be disparaging.” Snyder has faced mounting pressure to change the name, even from President Obama and George Preston Marshall’s granddaughter. But Snyder plans to appeal the trademark decision and says he will “NEVER” change the name. Polling suggests Snyder has the backing to ignore the calls; most NFL fans (and Redskins fans in particular) oppose a name change.

What’s considered an outrage in the NFL is embraced or at least tolerated all over the country. While we’ve been consumed by the debate about the Washington Redskins, we’ve overlooked thousands of team names and mascots depicting Native Americans, often stereotypically. These teams are not feeling the kind of pressure that Snyder is. To understand the Washington Redskins, we have to understand the Estelline Redmen, the Natick Redmen, and the Molalla Indians, too.

Terry Borning, the proprietor of MascotDB, has kept a database of the nation’s mascots since 2006. He gathers his data from a variety of sources, including state high school athletic associations, websites and local newspapers. Borning’s database doesn’t have every high school, college and pro team in the country, but it does have 42,624 of them. Looking at MascotDB is as close as we can get to understanding how prevalent Native American team names and mascots are across the country.

“There were a lot of interesting mascots where I lived growing up,” Borning said. “But those have mostly fallen by the wayside. Some of those things of the past were definitely offensive, but also more interesting than the generic mascots we have now.”

I searched the database and found 2,129 sports teams that reference Braves, Chiefs, Indians, Orangemen, Raiders, Redmen, Reds, Redskins, Savages, Squaws, Tribe and Warriors, as well as tribe names such as Apaches, Arapahoe, Aztecs, Cherokees, Chickasaws, Chinooks, Chippewas, Choctaws, Comanches, Eskimos, Mohawks, Mohicans, Seminoles, Sioux and Utes. (Not all teams with the names “Raiders” and “Warriors” are referencing Native Americans, but we spot-checked 20 schools with each name and a majority of each did.)

MORE

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-2128-native-american-mascots-people-arent-talking-about/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:44:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

Re: The 2,128 Native American Mascots People Aren’t Talking About
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:08:51 pm »
I always thought naming a team after an Indian tribe was an homage to their brave fighting spirit, and don't see that it matters whether any particular tribe was indigenous to the area. Several of the high schools in my area have team names that directly or vaguely reference Indians - which were part of our history -  but the one that got the greatest debate in recent years was the Red Devils, which had nothing to do with Indians at all. It referred to miners  covered in a red dust due to the red clay present at a local mine. People just didn't like the word "devil."

On the other hand, the Pekin, Ill., high school had to change the name of its teams from "Chinks" to "Dragons" a few years back, after many considered it offensive to persons of Chinese heritage.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »

The new team name should be the "Opossums," 'cuz they PLAY DEAD AT HOME & GET KILLED ON THE ROAD!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »
Nothing beats the Cleve Brownies getting a foot to the face.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:56 am »
Salamanca, NY (a city with a large portion of land shared with an Indian reservation) once changed its name TO an Indian mascot (Warriors).

Their previous name, if I recall right, was the Blue Devils.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024