Author Topic: Massive iCloud Hack  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Massive iCloud Hack
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:17 am »
Usually I don't post crap like this, but because it iCloud has been completely breached, I think it is worthwhile news.

Be my guest to search all you want, but I'm going to pass on posting links to even news articles.

Right now the hacker(s) is busy selling hundreds if not thousands of nude selfies of celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton, but they are also selling unrestricted access to iCloud to anyone who is willing to pay.

Until Apple shuts it down and closes the breach, it is being recommended that anyone with data stored on iCloud should delete it at once.

Now, I don't use Apple products do I don't know how iCloud works except that it ties into iPhones and iPads.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Massive iCloud Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:48:49 am »
I have an Ipad and use Icloud sometimes but I don't keep my nudey photos there... :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:09 am »
I have an Ipad and use Icloud sometimes but I don't keep my nudey photos there... :whistle:

Yeah, those I keep on a disk labeled "Illustrated Guide to Moth Species in North America - East of the Mississippi".

:nometalk:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:00:52 am »
Yeah, those I keep on a disk labeled "Illustrated Guide to Moth Species in North America - East of the Mississippi".

:nometalk:

very clever....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:01:03 am »

TMI!!!!!!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:05:05 am »

very clever....

Yeah, until I die someday and my niece has a yard sale to sell my junk - and some kid that's going to do a paper on moths decides to buy the disk......

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:29:17 am »

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 02:50:47 am »
This is why I would never, ever put anything of importance "in the cloud."  I keep all of my financial documents and anything else of importance (airplane, vacation, family photos I've taken, senior and master's thesis, etc.) on an external hard drive that is physically disconnected unless I need to back something up on it.

Nothing I have stored on this computer, or the few things online (Photobucket) are of any value or consequence.

While I don't condone taking pictures as these women have, what has happened to them is beyond wrong.  Hackers are lower than pond scum.

Edit:

As for iCloud, deleting the file from your iPhone or iPad does NOT remove it from iCloud.  You have to manually remove it from there as well.

So much for Apple being touted as hack proof.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:52:32 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:44:48 am »
Apple's lawyers better be worth every penny, because they're about to to get sued like never before.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
I NEVER put anything on the cloud of importance.

In fact, until I bought a Chromebook earlier this year (I thought I could put Linux on it, but it turned out to have the wrong processor and none of the software is compatible with it, so I was pretty much stuck with the thing) I didn't put ANYTHING on one of these “clouds.” If I have to create something important on Google Drive, I save an external copy, then empty the cloud version of the file before deleting it. Then, I HOPE that there's no remnant of my stuff on the cloud.

Anything I did put online, I put with the full knowledge that it could be accessed by anyone.

Maybe now the old flash drive or SD card will start making a comeback.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 03:20:28 pm »
Never put anything online that you wouldn't want your mother or the IRS to read.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 03:22:40 pm »
Support the USO

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »

Well, that's unfortunate for the rest of us.  :nometalk:

Both Apple and Google are attempting to get people to trust their clouds entirely.  Getting people to use and completely trust cloud-based software such as gmail and Google Docs gives Google access to the most intimate details of peoples' lives.  If people knew how close the relationship is between Google and the Feds they would be astonished.  Some people even think Google is a CIA front, and I would not rule that possibility out.

Apple, on the other hand, has always been assumed to be wholly invested in its customers.  For this to happen will shake a lot of folks' confidence in Apple.

I am totally in accord that anyone who puts something as private as nude photos on the Internet -- no matter how strong the security -- is a fool.  They don't deserve to be exploited, but it's a little hard to be entirely sympathetic.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:35:24 pm by massadvj »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
I NEVER put anything on the cloud of importance.

In fact, until I bought a Chromebook earlier this year (I thought I could put Linux on it, but it turned out to have the wrong processor and none of the software is compatible with it, so I was pretty much stuck with the thing) I didn't put ANYTHING on one of these “clouds.” If I have to create something important on Google Drive, I save an external copy, then empty the cloud version of the file before deleting it. Then, I HOPE that there's no remnant of my stuff on the cloud.

Anything I did put online, I put with the full knowledge that it could be accessed by anyone.

Maybe now the old flash drive or SD card will start making a comeback.

A Chromebook is good for surfing the Internet if one prefers a traditional laptop to a phone or tablet.  I'm considering one for when I travel since I'd like something much smaller than my laptop.  Beyond that, I wouldn't use it for anything else.

External hard drive that is not physically connected to anything or powered off except when needed is the safest.

I am totally in accord that anyone who puts something as private as nude photos on the Internet -- no matter how strong the security -- is a fool.  They don't deserve to be exploited, but it's a little hard to be entirely sympathetic.

Foolish yes, but the problem is many may not have even know the photos were being backed up to iCloud.  I know on Android, you have to manually setup and enable the cloud storage connected to the phone, and if you want, you can uninstall the cloud app completely.

The trendy thing now is for young people (mostly women) to take these pictures for themselves as a reminder of how their bodies looked when they were younger, and as motivation later to stay in shape later in life.  In that regard, just put the photos on a disconnected hard drive.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 03:53:26 pm »
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-fixes-security-flaw-in-find-my-iphone-software-2014-9#ixzz3C4kw4dY8
Apple Just Patched A Security Flaw In iCloud That Could've Been Used To Hack Celebrity Accounts

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-fixes-security-flaw-in-find-my-iphone-software-2014-9#ixzz3C4t8oNxJ

This has got to be one of the stupidest failings in cyber security in eons.  I haven't seen a site in probably 10 years that didn't lock an account after 3-10 failed password attempts.

Apple is going to get sued and it will be fun to watch.